Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So, my running naivity and stupidity reared it's ugly ahead once again in preparation for the half marathon.

My last "bigger" run was about 6.5 miles and 2 weeks ago. I went for a proposed bigger run on Tuesday but the asthma kicked in and I had to stop at half a mile!!!!!

Anyway, after dosing up I went out again last night, with the intention of running from saltdean to the marina and back.....but I got cocky at the marina, ran through it and went to the brighton eye :lolol:

That moment when I turned round and realised I needed to get back was terrible! Had to stop 3 or 4 times on the way back but ultimately I "travelled" 10 miles. the first 7 miles was non stop. Thankfully the stopping was not through chest issues but purely legs and hip tiredness.

Please PLEASE tell me that will improve with the more runs I do?!?!? Also, I've realised the psychological barrier of running somewhere and then just turning round is crushing for my little mind.

Of course it'll improve, just take things steady. The other thing is............it is completely OK to stop and walk for a bit if you feel the need to, particularly if you are upping the distance. I do it all the time and I know loads of runners who have run/walk strategies for races. Out and back routes are interesting - some love 'em and some hate 'em.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yep. I think I panicked as im now IN the month of the Half marathon and I was nowhere near the distance.

I need to realise I still have the days to build up so I'm planning a run on sunday of around 7.5 miles to keep the legs ticking over.

Try not to panic is the first thing I'd say. Try and come up with a schedule between now and HM day, with small increases in long runs, adding in shorter, faster runs (and hills). As mentioned, a lot of it is about time on your feet, but mixing it up a bit also helps.

Then drop the speed and you should be able to get longer...

Good luck.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Of course it'll improve, just take things steady. The other thing is............it is completely OK to stop and walk for a bit if you feel the need to, particularly if you are upping the distance. I do it all the time and I know loads of runners who have run/walk strategies for races. Out and back routes are interesting - some love 'em and some hate 'em.

Confession: I still detest longer runs. This has been pretty much a constant for me for the best part of 35 years although got worse with age. Once I get near the hour mark I just want to give up - regardless of the course, although I agree that the 'out and back' variant is pretty tough. This is probably not typical of the other users on this thread many of whom relish the longer challenges. But we are all different and it could be that you are just not cut out for longer runs. I personally love shorter, quicker events and the training that goes with them. So don't despair - maybe you need to first discover what you enjoy doing and take it from there? After all, it is meant to be fun: not a mixture of physical and mental torture!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Have you seen the forecast?
Nope. Doesn't sound like I want to either. Both boy Jnr Bobkins are playing football Sunday as well, which will be nice...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cracking idea. Have cycled quite a bit of it, for some reason not thought about running it.

Was on part of it last week during the Darkstar (the 3 miles or so up to West Grinstead station and back from the river north of Bramber). A few puddles in places but otherwise fine

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Anyone else gonna do (or done before) the Royal Parks Half Marathon this October in London?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oh BALLS. That probably means I didn't.

Saying that, no email to tell me I missed out.

It IS expensive but running through London was pretty fun.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Anyone else gonna do (or done before) the Royal Parks Half Marathon this October in London?

My Mrs ran it a few years back whilst we were still dating, along with quite a few of her friends, and I was a spectator - it is quite good from that point of view as it is quite easy for spectators to get from point to point around the course to cheer on the runners, or in my case get berated for not providing Jelly Babies in a timely enough manner!

They gave out a weird wooden medal that year, which Mrs Orange was not impressed with given the cost of entry, and it was a bit of a bun-fight to get registered before the start as I recall.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
ooh I'm planning on running the 3 Forts route on Sunday morn + plus the little DOWN and UP to Saddlescombe ...... Bring on the WIND!

All of it ??! If my calf is OK (got a slight niggle) I'm planning on a couple of hours up there tomorrow morning, probably plod along from Clayton Windmills to Truleigh and back along the SDW. Not done anything hilly offroad for months.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
All of it ??! If my calf is OK (got a slight niggle) I'm planning on a couple of hours up there tomorrow morning, probably plod along from Clayton Windmills to Truleigh and back along the SDW. Not done anything hilly offroad for months.

Yeah I've been meaning to get a long plod done for a while.. so might as well get it done this weekend.. planning on getting out early with the head torch, but we'll see.. But yeah in the same boat really.... really need to get up on the SDW and have been putting it off for a while now... Looking forward to the little bit that i'll add, the downhill from the D Dyke to Saddlescome

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm sticking to the tarmac. Heading out early Sunday to Worthing and finishing with that wind behind me.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Recovery Parkrun planned today but spotted friend's son 100m in front on the final 500m. Went flat out and overtook him at 5.04 mile pace. Gave him the obligatory finger only for the whippersnapper to speed up and gain 10m on me over the final 50m. Good fun.

https://www.strava.com/activities/487007975

I love that spike in the graph even if it lost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here