Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Got out this morning before the wind really took hold. Aim was to stay disciplined and run a half marathon distance. Pleased to say I kept to the plan and the distance felt pretty comfortable.

The bonus being I took 1 minute 23 of my pb from last years Brighton HM to clock 1:30:46 average pace 6:55 per mile.

Saw [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] keeping a good pace near Hove lagoon going into the wind whilst I passed him from the opposite direction just past my ten mile mark.

Will probably skip Park Run this weekend as can only run once this weekend so keen to keep the mileage up with Worthing & Brighton HM's in February.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1028730199

Nice work. Sub 1:30:00 for you before long!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
My tip - for what it's worth - is to try to blast you as many as you can in the first burst. I don't think we are talking purist press-ups here! (Although of course I'll have secret cameras filming you.)
Good luck: you are clearly a man who relishes a challenge!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Not sure about press-ups myself - seems too much like hard work!

Talking of which, whoever invented intervals has my deepest contempt. I just did 3 minutes hard / 1 minute walking x5, and hated every minute!

:angry:

The best bit about it was the cool down run at the end - I enjoyed that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Talking of which, whoever invented intervals has my deepest contempt. I just did 3 minutes hard / 1 minute walking x5, and hated every minute!

I'm plodding along playing catch up with mileage for the marathon. Would relish some max speed sessions but will leave them till May. I love that sick feeling. Can't get it with a 7" mile.
As to the press ups. Good for the core, good to try a challenge and good preparation for my challenge to @GNT - who can attract the most grannies down the beach this summer!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Intervals for me too this morning. One mile at tempo followed by half mile cool down X 3. Not as intense as your session and nowhere near Chundersville but not much fun with the snuffles. Agree though on cool down, it was probably only about 3 degrees but i was warm as toast jogging home.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Intervals for me too this morning. One mile at tempo followed by half mile cool down X 3. Not as intense as your session and nowhere near Chundersville but not much fun with the snuffles. Agree though on cool down, it was probably only about 3 degrees but i was warm as toast jogging home.

Good work.......

Odd after doing intervals that the 'cool down' feels lovely and easy, but is usually faster than the pace I normally do for junk miles..............speed perception is a funny thing. I've stopped just short of 'vomiting threshold' on a couple of sessions recently......all my guru said was 'thanks for the feedback, useful'.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003

I was fortunate that repeats 4 and 5 were interrupted by having to stop for traffic on road crossings, so I had a couple of extra enforced rests meaning the session wasn't as intense as it should have been. Getting back up to speed on those two repeats was horrid though!

It is amazing how bouncy you feel once you get towards the end of the cooldown though.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
This morning got in a nice 10 miler. 5 miles warming up and cooling down @ 10" pace and in the middle a 40" 5 miles going up over the Marina and return. Got home and tried the challenge and managed about 2 press ups before collapsing. I need to build up. So this week whilst waiting for the kettle in the morning 3x7, next week 3x15, then 3x25, followed by 3x30. Then I will attempt the challenge. Will plan to do 40,35 and 25 with 5-10 second rests.
[MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] I am intrigued as to why you aimed to run at that pace for 9:30. I can only assume you had to leave the treadmill after 9:30 minutes? Fast running. Increase from 5 to 6 minutes and you have your 6 minute mile

I don't understand but I'm gonna give it a go at 15kph

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Anyone doing any events this weekend? I know a lot of guys are now into hard-core distance training for upcoming half/full marathons so that maybe a parkrun is not really much use?
I'll be doing the Bognor PR and then on Sunday the Worthing 4 mile - really flat and fast but no entries on day.
Good luck at all - let's hope the weather relents.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This has just arrived.

No more excuses.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454084632.405293.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
This has just arrived.

No more excuses.

View attachment 71942

I'm envious. Still lumping around the large screen 305 from 5-6 years back. You could have had 26 veggie boxes delivered for the price of that.

Will be Parkrunning tomorrow with the aim of beating a friend's 16 year old son. Sub 22:30 needed but with heavy legs it will be close.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Parkrun tomorrow and then Sunday plan to get the train to Seaford and run home for c17 miles.

Now to go and tackle some hills in the wind!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This has just arrived.

No more excuses.

View attachment 71942
Nice bit of kit [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. You're right - no excuses, but you'll love drooling over all the stats and routes - enjoy.

Another one for parkrun here, then a long run on Sunday. I've rested since Tuesday, so I'm hoping for a decent time tomorrow. Possibly somewhere between [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] by the sound of it...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ultimatum from the wife you can run Saturday or Sunday but not both. Have decided a 14/15 miler tomorrow morning around 8/9 am going to run the length of old Shoreham road and loop to the seafront. Is it worth me detouring over the bridge onto Shoreham beach to get the mileage up, rather than loops of hove lagoon?

Good luck [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] probably will be running into the wind for the entire duration of the run.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ultimatum from the wife you can run Saturday or Sunday but not both. Have decided a 14/15 miler tomorrow morning around 8/9 am going to run the length of old Shoreham road and loop to the seafront. Is it worth me detouring over the bridge onto Shoreham beach to get the mileage up, rather than loops of hove lagoon?

Good luck [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] probably will be running into the wind for the entire duration of the run.
Yes: around Shoreham Beach is really nice and flat - but I'm biased 😉

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Over footbridge you can run West and South and there is a brilliant flat Tarmac footpath alongside Widewater that takes you next to the bike path to Worthing Pier. Wind will then push you home.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Entries now open for the Seaford half which is on Sunday 8th May this year. I've never run it before but supposedly a nice scenic run.

Only 3 weeks after the Brighton Marathon might be pushing it though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm envious. Still lumping around the large screen 305 from 5-6 years back. You could have had 26 veggie boxes delivered for the price of that.

I had £200 of Amazon vouchers that I'd received as gifts burning a hole in my virtual pocket and finally took the plunge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here