Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
20:02 and 10th place at Guildford for me. Just about kept my lungs in at the end, but spent the rest of the morning coughing. With any luck I've almost shifted whatever has been ailing me for last week or so... (today's run moved it at the very least)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
20:02 and 10th place at Guildford for me. Just about kept my lungs in at the end, but spent the rest of the morning coughing. With any luck I've almost shifted whatever has been ailing me for last week or so... (today's run moved it at the very least)

Nearly there! First sub 20 then sub 40.:)

I cracked/bruised a rib marshalling at Hove Park yesterday. Had to put friend's Beagle over a metal fence to keep him out the way of the runners and put full weight onto lower rib. Ouch! Will be able to run but painfull.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
'Orrible 12 miler. It decided to snow in my face just as I'd turned at Carrot's Cafe and there was no shelter anywhere from it for about three miles, by when everything was soaked through. As a result it feels like someone's been at my moobs with a cheese grater and I haven't even paid for it this time.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I cracked/bruised a rib marshalling at Hove Park yesterday. Had to put friend's Beagle over a metal fence to keep him out the way of the runners and put full weight onto lower rib. Ouch! Will be able to run but painfull.
Blimey! A volunteer-related injury? You would have been better off running 😉

Hope it's not too bad.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
'Orrible 12 miler. It decided to snow in my face just as I'd turned at Carrot's Cafe and there was no shelter anywhere from it for about three miles, by when everything was soaked through. As a result it feels like someone's been at my moobs with a cheese grater and I haven't even paid for it this time.
Ouch! But well done for getting out there. I must admit, I'm a bit bemused as to where all this snow is. None in SBS.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Steady 8.6 for me today. Was ideally looking for a longer run of 12 miles+ but time constraints meant I only had an hour. Went East along to Kingston Lane then North to Old Shoreham Road before cutting back to the seafront at the Goldstone Ground.

Well played all the NSC runners for getting out there today, conditions were pretty shit.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
19km for me up on the Downs from Ditchling Beacon in the snow. Set off pretty warily but once I'd warmed up and got used to the surface it was actually pretty nice up there and there were quite a few other runners around.

So that's both calves and a rib [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] hopefully that's the rule of three and you are over the bad luck now!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good running all round again. Just a 4m recovery plod through the slush with junior for me. Odd not to be doing a long run on a Sunday
[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - dangerous business this standing and pointing. You should ease off a bit

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Thanks for helping me cut down on cheese during marathon training. The thought of your moobs and a cheese grater will ensure I do not have any parmigiano on my pasta.

Just got up to 7 miles, grimacing more than usual, but the dodgy soleus is history. First half at 10" miles, second half at 9" pace with 6 100m pickups gradually getting up to 10k pace. Rib no more painful running than not. Cannot do all stretches though.

Will continue to come back slowly but will up the mileage at 20% rather than recommended 10%. Will stick heavily to 10" pace though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
19km for me up on the Downs from Ditchling Beacon in the snow. Set off pretty warily but once I'd warmed up and got used to the surface it was actually pretty nice up there and there were quite a few other runners around.

So that's both calves and a rib [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] hopefully that's the rule of three and you are over the bad luck now!

Day off yesterday sorted the calves out. Up and running now. You will all have to start checking behind you next month. It's going to be a 3 month off drink, non meat, except fish, eating knocky1. Protein from mussels, cockles, crab, mackerel.
Once I've got through today's drinking, of course.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Ouch! Did your injury go in the run report?!

My 5k pb is 19:40 btw, I'm currently trying to shake off ill-health and Christmas girth whilst getting back up to speed!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Hello again chaps. I need to ask yet another favour I'm afraid but I'm sure people on here will know.

After Brighton Marathon I was going to have a crack at my 10k PB in a proper race. Worthing was an obvious one with time to recover, a flat course that I did last year an [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] already in it. Unfortunately my son's football club have just confirmed that I will indeed be at Worthing that weekend - at a Level One coaching course. All sodding weekend,

So looking through the Sussex racing calender there's a Horsham 10k on 15 May and a Bognor the same day. Is a month enough recovery time after a marathon? If so which is faster to run (I want a 46 min course if poss so few hilly bits) and ideally easy to get to by train? Or is the Burgess Hill 10k on 2 May doable (I would have said too close to the Marathon but I bet [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] would know)

Ta guys.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hello again chaps. I need to ask yet another favour I'm afraid but I'm sure people on here will know.

After Brighton Marathon I was going to have a crack at my 10k PB in a proper race. Worthing was an obvious one with time to recover, a flat course that I did last year an [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] already in it. Unfortunately my son's football club have just confirmed that I will indeed be at Worthing that weekend - at a Level One coaching course. All sodding weekend,

So looking through the Sussex racing calender there's a Horsham 10k on 15 May and a Bognor the same day. Is a month enough recovery time after a marathon? If so which is faster to run (I want a 46 min course if poss so few hilly bits) and ideally easy to get to by train? Or is the Burgess Hill 10k on 2 May doable (I would have said too close to the Marathon but I bet [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] would know)

Ta guys.

Well we will all agree to differ on this one. Here is my two penny worth. I say it is too soon. You need 3 weeks just too recover from the marathon. It takes me a month post marathon of eating and drinking with little exercise before I gain any weight or fat. That takes you to the first week in May. Then you need to switch training from marathon aerobic to 10k anaerobic with at least a 6 week programme.

It is highly likely you will achieve a 10k pb in May but wait another month or two and you"ll smash it without any problem without over stressing the body. As I have said before on here if I overtrain (unlikely at the moment) my immune system breaks down and I get a month or two of rheumatoid arthritis. So I always ensure adequate rest and recovery. The euphoria of finishing the marathon in a great time may mask how worn out your body is.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Ta guys.
Yup, have to agree with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and say it's too soon to be thinking of a 10k PB three weeks after a marathon. You could probably do it the other way around, but there is the risk of an injury before the big day by pushing too hard.

You'll be surprised at how much they take out of you.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Well we will all agree to differ on this one. Here is my two penny worth. I say it is too soon. You need 3 weeks just too recover from the marathon. It takes me a month post marathon of eating and drinking with little exercise before I gain any weight or fat. That takes you to the first week in May. Then you need to switch training from marathon aerobic to 10k anaerobic with at least a 6 week programme.

It is highly likely you will achieve a 10k pb in May but wait another month or two and you"ll smash it without any problem without over stressing the body. As I have said before on here if I overtrain (unlikely at the moment) my immune system breaks down and I get a month or two of rheumatoid arthritis. So I always ensure adequate rest and recovery. The euphoria of finishing the marathon in a great time may mask how worn out your body is.

Yup, have to agree with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and say it's too soon to be thinking of a 10k PB three weeks after a marathon. You could probably do it the other way around, but there is the risk of an injury before the big day by pushing too hard.

Cheers guys. New plan I reckon. Rest of April resting and reacquainting myself with Mr Rioja and Mr Brie then slowly back to training, having a tilt at the 10k for Phoenix which is Weds 13 July this year. Perfect :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I agree with this. Also, the mental side of this should not be over-looked. I'd probably find it mentally tough to motivate myself for a PB just a few weeks after a 26 miler. Save your focus and energy for the big one and rest up good and proper afterwards; you will have earned it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here