Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Interesting......most people seem to use the Hokas for the longer distances....

Anyway, bloody speedy ! I did a 2 mile warm up, 9 miles at a steady tempo pace (8 min miles for me) and 2 mile cool down, took me 1:46 for 13. Good to get out after 2 days of pigging out though.

I know the Hoka's are were originally made for Ultra's but I'm finding the fit to be pretty narrow which I think is the main problem for the blisters as I've never suffered from them before. Other than that I absolutely love them, they feel so light which I certainly think helps my Park Run times. I've got plenty of opportunities to use them over the next week as I'm off from work until Tuesday 5th January so hoping to get out every other day for a decent sized run, so I'll see how I get on with them before making a final decision.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know the Hoka's are were originally made for Ultra's but I'm finding the fit to be pretty narrow which I think is the main problem for the blisters as I've never suffered from them before. Other than that I absolutely love them, they feel so light which I certainly think helps my Park Run times. I've got plenty of opportunities to use them over the next week as I'm off from work until Tuesday 5th January so hoping to get out every other day for a decent sized run, so I'll see how I get on with them before making a final decision.

I've got one pair, I find them a bit shallow, so they irritate the tops of my toes (knuckles if that makes sense ?). Shame as I agree, so light and comfy otherwise.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Today's intervals were tough but I hit my fastest ever half mile at 3.33. That's about the number of miles I was running in my "long runs" last January. If you'd told me then that I'd run a sub 25 five k, a 50.55 ten k and a 1hr 23 ten mile race and enter a marathon I would have laughed you off the planet. That's the power of running.

It's also the power of all you guys though. Thank you so much for the support this year, it's been incredible. NSC can really have its moments, binfest wise, but this thread is always 100% supportive and I feel pleased and honoured to have met and shared a beer with some of you. Here's to more running and more beers in 2016 :bowdown:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Today's intervals were tough but I hit my fastest ever half mile at 3.33. That's about the number of miles I was running in my "long runs" last January. If you'd told me then that I'd run a sub 25 five k, a 50.55 ten k and a 1hr 23 ten mile race and enter a marathon I would have laughed you off the planet. That's the power of running.

It's also the power of all you guys though. Thank you so much for the support this year, it's been incredible. NSC can really have its moments, binfest wise, but this thread is always 100% supportive and I feel pleased and honoured to have met and shared a beer with some of you. Here's to more running and more beers in 2016 :bowdown:

Awesome progress........you'll see the milestones pass over the next few months. Great stuff. Agree re this thread, always a pleasure to pop in unlike some of the others.

'Michigan' session for me this morning. It was horrible....done them before and always hurts. 1 mile warm up, then 0.75m at faster than half marathon pace followed by 0.5m at 5-10k pace, repeat 4 times without any rest/recovery. Blooooooooeeerrrgggh.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Awesome progress........you'll see the milestones pass over the next few months. Great stuff. Agree re this thread, always a pleasure to pop in unlike some of the others.

'Michigan' session for me this morning. It was horrible....done them before and always hurts. 1 mile warm up, then 0.75m at faster than half marathon pace followed by 0.5m at 5-10k pace, repeat 4 times without any rest/recovery. Blooooooooeeerrrgggh.

Good running. I was given a four min "easy" pace between each tempo effort at least!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
. I am currently nursing a cricket injury! After 3 days as a couch potato, except when going to pub, I decided to squeeze a 5 miler in during lunchtime in Durban. End result was I ran too fast without adequate warm up, calf seized and had to walk home. How many times have I told others not to run like that.:down:

Jesus is with the in laws in Canada for Christmas on top of that.

Well done @Guiness Boy today. Are you doing the dry marathon training in 2016? I am stopping in mid January until the pub post marathon in April. That will give me 3 months off. Will be easier to do that than my efforts to beat most of the runners on here.....

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

That's a cracking set of stats – well done you.

My last run of 2015 was an enjoyable – and very different – one, dreamt up by a mate. Starting at Three Bridges station we ambled back to Withdean, keeping close-ish to the A23. Some stretches were a bit close to the road, but most of it was really nice through villages, and along decent tracks. 21 and a bit miles. The details are all here, for anyone's who's interested: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/996246629

Happy new year to the NSC running crew - all the best for your training runs, rest days, races and recoveries in 2016. Here's hoping we all remain injury-free too!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That's a cracking set of stats – well done you.

My last run of 2015 was an enjoyable – and very different – one, dreamt up by a mate. Starting at Three Bridges station we ambled back to Withdean, keeping close-ish to the A23. Some stretches were a bit close to the road, but most of it was really nice through villages, and along decent tracks. 21 and a bit miles. The details are all here, for anyone's who's interested: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/996246629

Happy new year to the NSC running crew - all the best for your training runs, rest days, races and recoveries in 2016. Here's hoping we all remain injury-free too!

You done Lemmy proud, excellent run. I've always ran loops and never from a far away starting place to home before, but psychologically must be nice knowing every mile is a step closer to home.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You done Lemmy proud, excellent run. I've always ran loops and never from a far away starting place to home before, but psychologically must be nice knowing every mile is a step closer to home.

I'm the same normally, but my mate works up there and he's driven it so many times thinking it would be a great run, which it was.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Well done GB, marvellous scenes!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Great comments on here as ever. Floodwaters receded enough up north to get out for a 5 and 10 miler on Sunday and Monday. Shoes still drying out after run by the Wharfe at Bolton Abbey on Monday. On the way back down south now.Hopefully one more run before end of the year, various park runs on NYD and Saturday, then the marathon training stats in earnest.

Happy New Year all, here's to a great years running in 2016!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great comments on here as ever. Floodwaters receded enough up north to get out for a 5 and 10 miler on Sunday and Monday. Shoes still drying out after run by the Wharfe at Bolton Abbey on Monday. On the way back down south now.Hopefully one more run before end of the year, various park runs on NYD and Saturday, then the marathon training stats in earnest.

Happy New Year all, here's to a great years running in 2016!

Yes. New Years Day 9am Hove Prom, 10:30 Hove Park and next day normal Saturday Parkruns.
That's 3 in 25 hours. Was planning to get the hat trick but calf will decide that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I intend to do the Prom one. Be good to say hi. I think I'll recognise you from an earlier picture. I'll be wearing bright green top and black leggings. Am not big!

My soleus muscle in my calf is ******. Can walk on it today and tomorrow walking round Fairlight Glen in Hastings. Whether it recovers for running by Friday, I do not know. I will do my best.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
My soleus muscle in my calf is ******. Can walk on it today and tomorrow walking round Fairlight Glen in Hastings. Whether it recovers for running by Friday, I do not know. I will do my best.

I too am no stranger to the calf problem so I know the score. Best of luck with recovery, although if I were a betting man............................

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I've not had a great running year. Calf problems coming into the year followed by months of IBS.
I normally run a couple of ultras and some Marathons each year.
Tomorrow, on the last day of the year, I will be running my first Marathon of the year.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've not had a great running year. Calf problems coming into the year followed by months of IBS.
I normally run a couple of ultras and some Marathons each year.
Tomorrow, on the last day of the year, I will be running my first Marathon of the year.

Enjoy the run. Which one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here