Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You must have had a bad headwind today. We had a little push up the hill with it. No optimism for becoming AG Champion. Well aware of the battle ahead. Will put it on hold. Now switching to a marathon training plan and looking forward to it. Just really happy the legs have got going again.
Let us know when you visit Hove Parkrun next. We can meet up.

Will do Knocky. No more marathons for me but might well have a crack at the Worthing Half in Feb. Good luck with the training.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Post Mince pie 10 is when I start upping the distance of my long runs. Managed to get out tonight and run 11 miles (longest run since the Brighton marathon) in 1:16:56 so a fraction under 7 minute miles. WIll now be concentrating on my aim of sub 1:30 half on the 28/2 for Brighton

Hoping to get to one final Park Run this year on Saturday will look to do one of the Hove ones depending on conditions.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/982313130

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Post Mince pie 10 is when I start upping the distance of my long runs. Managed to get out tonight and run 11 miles (longest run since the Brighton marathon) in 1:16:56 so a fraction under 7 minute miles. WIll now be concentrating on my aim of sub 1:30 half on the 28/2 for Brighton

Hoping to get to one final Park Run this year on Saturday will look to do one of the Hove ones depending on conditions.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/982313130

I seem to have gone the other way. No long run yesterday – too tired – and my last four runs have totalled about 18 miles. Need to change that this week, hopefully starting tomorrow...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I seem to have gone the other way. No long run yesterday – too tired – and my last four runs have totalled about 18 miles. Need to change that this week, hopefully starting tomorrow...

Remember you are post marathonal from the IOW and needed recovery.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Remember you are post marathonal from the IOW and needed recovery.

"Post marathonal" :lol: What a lovely phrase, [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]...

I know that, but I have (rightly or wrongly) a target distance each month, and I'm falling short this month. Nothing to do with not WANTING to run, just got too much else going on...

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
I have a question for those who have run full marathons, I am doing Brighton marathon and already have been running for last year and a half. Is there a somewhere i can find a training plan to suit a seasoned runner as most I have seen, look to be for beginners. So any help would be appreciated.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have a question for those who have run full marathons, I am doing Brighton marathon and already have been running for last year and a half. Is there a somewhere i can find a training plan to suit a seasoned runner as most I have seen, look to be for beginners. So any help would be appreciated.

I'm doing Brighton and it will be my first marathon. I've only been running for the whole of this year but have done three 10k races and a 10 mile race in 1hr 23.

I initially looked on the Brighton Marathon site at the plans the Running Bug put together for them. The Intermediate seemed to be my standard. I'd check that one out and also have a look at the London Marathon site. I copied their plan from last year and saved it as a pdf. Again it was intermediate standard and I can screen print it here for you if you like.

However, I am currently managing a recurring tight calf and I also have to fit my running in around a young family and football coaching. For that reason [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] recommended I get a personalised plan from an approved running coach. I'm three weeks in to it and loving it. The runs are perfect for me, the Mrs hasn't complained and I've got access to in-race hydration and nutrition strategies and cross-training / stretching advice. If you can afford to do this I'd say it was well worth it - but if not post back and I will screen shot the London Marathon pdf for you.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Agree with @Guiness Boy but a book on Santa's list may help as well. I have had the 'Advanced Marathoning' by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas for 4 years. Refer to it often and it has a good selection of training plans from interemediate to advanced. Similar to the runners world plan.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
I'm doing Brighton and it will be my first marathon. I've only been running for the whole of this year but have done three 10k races and a 10 mile race in 1hr 23.

I initially looked on the Brighton Marathon site at the plans the Running Bug put together for them. The Intermediate seemed to be my standard. I'd check that one out and also have a look at the London Marathon site. I copied their plan from last year and saved it as a pdf. Again it was intermediate standard and I can screen print it here for you if you like.

However, I am currently managing a recurring tight calf and I also have to fit my running in around a young family and football coaching. For that reason [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] recommended I get a personalised plan from an approved running coach. I'm three weeks in to it and loving it. The runs are perfect for me, the Mrs hasn't complained and I've got access to in-race hydration and nutrition strategies and cross-training / stretching advice. If you can afford to do this I'd say it was well worth it - but if not post back and I will screen shot the London Marathon pdf for you.

Many thanks GB, never give a running coach a thought, so i will seek one out. my pace isn't too dissimilar to yours and have done the Brighton Half back in feb 1hr49, though i do believe 26 miles may be a bit more testing. Its the in-race hydration/ nutrition strategies that interest me as i drink before i go and when i return from runs as i hate carrying stuff whilst running, thus the reason for asking for advice and very helpful too.

Agree with @Guiness Boy but a book on Santa's list may help as well. I have had the 'Advanced Marathoning' by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas for 4 years. Refer to it often and it has a good selection of training plans from interemediate to advanced. Similar to the runners world plan.

As i think you can never have too much advice, i will have a look for it. cheers

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
My preparations for Portsmouth on sunday haven't gone overly well, I'm not feeling in a good place to go out there and hammer home a cold and probably wet Marathon, but we'll see. I've got snug boxers and an Under Armour compression shirt which feels more like a passionate hug than a shirt, so that'll be nice.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

As above, can highly recommend personal coaching and the book mentioned. If you look at the Runners World website, they have training plans for all abilities, based on target finish time. Plenty of others online too, have a search for 'intermediate marathon training plans' and you'll get a better selection.

The nutrition and hydration is a massive thing for the marathon. You need to practice this time and again and get to know what works for you (as an example, I can't eat gels that contain fructose - only found this out by trial and error and a few ruined races). You may find cramping an issue too - so add electrolyte balance to the things you need to manage/practice (isotonic drinks, capsules or salt tablets might be needed)

Supposed be simple, one foot in front the other......it isn't !

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
Supposed be simple, one foot in front the other......it isn't !

Cheers dazzer, if only it was that easy lol, i just want to be in the best condition i can possibly be in and want to make sure what i do is right for my first full marathon. Although running regularly and absolutely loving it i don't want it to screw me up, i knew it was going to be a different kettle of fish for the marathon. Will look online too ta very muchly.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I started with the couch to 5k programme. Was great, and I soon progressed to greater distances. Helpful to have the planning too. Unfortunately, a spell in intensive care with pneumonia has put pay to things for a few months, but I won't hesitate to use the same method when fit to start again.

And so it begins again .Out this morning for first run since out of hospital .Lungs seem to have shrunk to the size of walnuts, and I have never been so unfit .Despite that, was good to be out again .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And so it begins again .Out this morning for first run since out of hospital .Lungs seem to have shrunk to the size of walnuts, and I have never been so unfit .Despite that, was good to be out again .

Nice to hear you're on the mend and getting out. Good work!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Looking to get one final park run of the year in tomorrow. Strong southerly winds so not bad as a cross wind on Hove Prom or to blow you up the hill at hove park.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here