Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Just got the photos from Sunday through. Amongst the many of me struggling into the wind is an image I will treasure as I am clearly in front of [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - shame it was shot after about 500m and the lead disappeared within the first km!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Brockenhurst parkrun this morning. What a fantastic course through the New Forest, a single 5km lap with plenty of up and down on decent gravel track. Prettiest park run course I've done- looked great in the sun this morning. Finished 10th in 21:20- I guess around a hundred runners. Off to a wedding now- have a good weekend's running everyone.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Brockenhurst parkrun this morning. What a fantastic course through the New Forest, a single 5km lap with plenty of up and down on decent gravel track. Prettiest park run course I've done- looked great in the sun this morning. Finished 10th in 21:20- I guess around a hundred runners. Off to a wedding now- have a good weekend's running everyone.

Sounds great. I loved running through Beaulieu in the New Forest last year. Hove Prom for me today finished 6th in 19:25 which I was pleased with as freezing and a stiff westerly wind.

Couldn't have been many more than 80 today. The snow was falling as I left my flat, much prefer running in colder weather though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Decent parkrunning there chaps.....10 mile or so plod for me today testing out my flaky calf. Almost there hopefully, that's 29m so far this week with no real dramas. Loved the colder weather this morning, always much happier running when it's nippy.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Just got the photos from Sunday through. Amongst the many of me struggling into the wind is an image I will treasure as I am clearly in front of [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - shame it was shot after about 500m and the lead disappeared within the first km!

Urgh. I'm sure you chaps look less freakish than me but the horror of realising that all you need do is pop your race number in to find 50 photos of you apparently on the brink of death. The harrowing complexion of a lazyman training on crisps and lager.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade

That sounds like a great one. Will have to do that one day. Preston Park for me today. 52nd with a time of 22:46. Bloody freezing. 245 runners.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
started my marathon training now for Brighton next year,

was working so much last christmas i didnt actually start training till Feb and it was a horrific marathon from me

aiming for 4.30 finish next year, usuallyt do it fancy dress, so debating what to run as next year

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Full effort Hove Parkrun for me. Time 15 seconds slower than half last Sunday's 10k time! 22:44. Worst 'effort' 5k time since this April the week after Brighton marathon. All down to the mince pie training I hope with the legs heavy from hills and increased mileage this week.......

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

was working so much last christmas i didnt actually start training till Feb and it was a horrific marathon from me

aiming for 4.30 finish next year, usuallyt do it fancy dress, so debating what to run as next year

Contact the club, you could be Gully! I narrowly missed out this year. :down:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Decent parkrunning there chaps.....10 mile or so plod for me today testing out my flaky calf. Almost there hopefully, that's 29m so far this week with no real dramas. Loved the colder weather this morning, always much happier running when it's nippy.

Good to see you're back. "Jesus" has sorted my calf too, no first step pain at all this morning and much less tight when stretching.

Good man. Starting mine tomorrow, Anything between 4 and 4.30 will do me though my top priority is finishing. [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] it will be the first run from my new plan. 90 minutes easy. Easy has been emphasized. Easy. Plod. Thank you again my friend, I'm confident Jan will get me through!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good to see you're back. "Jesus" has sorted my calf too, no first step pain at all this morning and much less tight when stretching.

Good man. Starting mine tomorrow, Anything between 4 and 4.30 will do me though my top priority is finishing. [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] it will be the first run from my new plan. 90 minutes easy. Easy has been emphasized. Easy. Plod. Thank you again my friend, I'm confident Jan will get me through!

Good stuff.......remember to trust the programme, even if it looks wrong (it won't be) - took me a while to get this TBH. Easy means easy too......!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good to see you're back. "Jesus" has sorted my calf too, no first step pain at all this morning and much less tight when stretching.[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] it will be the first run from my new plan. 90 minutes easy. Easy has been emphasized. Easy. Plod. Thank you again my friend, I'm confident Jan will get me through!

How did it go? Interested to know your plod pace. 10:00 to 10:30 would be my guess. I need to revert to endurance training NOW. I have run at lactic threshold or higher for 95% of my limited running since April. I have become addicted to going flat out (for me) on every run despite knowing this is WRONG. The end result has been slower times and feeling crap. So an easy week for me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
How did it go? Interested to know your plod pace. 10:00 to 10:30 would be my guess. I need to revert to endurance training NOW. I have run at lactic threshold or higher for 95% of my limited running since April. I have become addicted to going flat out (for me) on every run despite knowing this is WRONG. The end result has been slower times and feeling crap. So an easy week for me.

Spot on, my easy pace is supposed to be 10.00 to 10.15. Ran 9 miles in 1.30.08 so basically less than a second over 10.00. Felt VERY slow to start off with in the cold and I really wanted to sprint to stop getting frost bite. However, I stuck with it, not wanting a bollocking in week one :)

By the end, because I didn't take any gels or Jelly Babies and because I chose an undulating route I was surprisingly tired.

Tried Skins calf support for the first time. Highly recommended if you want to wear shorts in this weather still or have had calf issues, or, in my case both.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
9 mins x 26.2= 3:55:48. Sub 4 hour marathon. To run at 10 to 10:15 is only around 11% off your planned marathon pace. It makes sense. I ran my fastest marathon training like that 9:35 to 10:00 and got a negative split. The next two I went out for glory and trained faster at 9:00 on the long runs. Result was failure blowing up at 19 miles and 16(!) miles respectively.
So thanks for the reminder a plodding I will go.

As to the calf supports, I often run long with light, breathable, thermals on as it seems to help relax the legs in general. Rest day for me but will soon be undertaking a massive rehydration and carbohydrate replacement experiment in the Trafalgar near you.:albion2::drink::drink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
9 mins x 26.2= 3:55:48. Sub 4 hour marathon. To run at 10 to 10:15 is only around 11% off your planned marathon pace. It makes sense. I ran my fastest marathon training like that 9:35 to 10:00 and got a negative split. The next two I went out for glory and trained faster at 9:00 on the long runs. Result was failure blowing up at 19 miles and 16(!) miles respectively.
So thanks for the reminder a plodding I will go.

As to the calf supports, I often run long with light, breathable, thermals on as it seems to help relax the legs in general. Rest day for me but will soon be undertaking a massive rehydration and carbohydrate replacement experiment in the Trafalgar near you.:albion2::drink::drink:

Cheers! I shall be attempting something very similar in The Sussex!

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Hi Guys

Can anyone suggest some good marathon training plans (for Brighton)? Ideally I'm looking for something that is easy to customise as there are only certain days I can easily run so would like to say I want to run on specific days and get a customised plan. Don't mind paying a little for one, but can't really find anything that fits with what I can do.

Cheers

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I think I've got Knocky Syndrome too. For months I've been training for 5ks and really only just doing speed work. This got me through a 10k too. Next week I'm in a 10 mile and I've done a few longer runs but have got naff-all endurance and struggle over 7/8 miles big time. This is surely a function of a pretty crap training regime. The trouble with training short and quick is that it leaves you nowhere to go for longer sessions; you don't know what you are capable of doing. I'd be grateful for a 80 minute 10 mile and I have a horrible feeling it might be north of that. Meanwhile I've also lost my speed over the shorter distance: a double-whammy. And as for even the thought of a half or full marathon......!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
U
I think I've got Knocky Syndrome too. For months I've been training for 5ks and really only just doing speed work. This got me through a 10k too. Next week I'm in a 10 mile and I've done a few longer runs but have got naff-all endurance and struggle over 7/8 miles big time. This is surely a function of a pretty crap training regime. The trouble with training short and quick is that it leaves you nowhere to go for longer sessions; you don't know what you are capable of doing. I'd be grateful for a 80 minute 10 mile and I have a horrible feeling it might be north of that. Meanwhile I've also lost my speed over the shorter distance: a double-whammy. And as for even the thought of a half or full marathon......!

Exactly. I need to get back to basics. Do not be competitive. Work on not attempting to overtake other runners when training and stick to target pace and distance. A training plan has to cater for just one or two A races a season.
So 100% effort on Brighton Marathon day and a month or two after when I will be gunning for your AG 5k.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hi Guys

Can anyone suggest some good marathon training plans (for Brighton)? Ideally I'm looking for something that is easy to customise as there are only certain days I can easily run so would like to say I want to run on specific days and get a customised plan. Don't mind paying a little for one, but can't really find anything that fits with what I can do.

Cheers

Runnersworld plan usually works and can be personalised, if necessary. Otherwise use a personal trainer.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I'd try and look at the positives. If you slowed down your pace next week you should find 10 miles relatively straight forward if you run at a comfortable pace. I've not run past ten miles since April but I'm pretty certain I could cope easily with a half marathon if I reduced my pace by around 10%.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here