Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Here's a debate for a Friday. I have finally found my Brighton Marathon training plan email, which Gmail put in to a dusty corner, and had a look at mine. They are provided by Running Bug.

I can't say I'm massively happy about them being involved anyway. Between keywords and the fact that some of my Facebook friends (all women, not a coincidence I feel) "like" them on there they have been cluttering up my FB feed for the past few months. Always seems to be ages old recycled posts about running fashion or diet or one of those Sub-Timmy Buzzfeed style lists on amusing things runners do. But they're doing the plan so I looked.

The "intermediate" one seems to be massively unsuitable unless I am missing something. Many in the Marathon will have a place in Brighton Half but the two things have not married up at all. Week 10 for them is a 2 - 2.5 hour steady run and the half marathon race is week 12, two weeks after Brighton finishes. No single run is loger than two and a half hours on either beginner or intermediate. Every other plan I've seen including the one for last year's London marathon has a 20 mile plus run in it which at 9 and a half minute miles would take me 3 hours 10.

Is there some new theory about only running about half the distance in training or is the plan gubbins and to be ignored? I saved last year's London plan as a pdf and it includes a 22 mile run 4 weeks before the race that emphasises "practice hydration and nutrition". I like the look of it a lot more.

Sign up with an experienced coach and get a personalised plan - it will transform your running completely. PM me if you want a recommendation....all online, easy to follow and takes all the thinking out of it for you, lots of contact/feedback on all your session and advice on nutrition, hydration, kit etc etc. Can't recommend it highly enough. Basically any plan you see online is generic by definition - unfortunately none of us are the same so the plans and up being 'suitable for all' and 'suitable for none' at the same time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sign up with an experienced coach and get a personalised plan - it will transform your running completely. PM me if you want a recommendation....all online, easy to follow and takes all the thinking out of it for you, lots of contact/feedback on all your session and advice on nutrition, hydration, kit etc etc. Can't recommend it highly enough. Basically any plan you see online is generic by definition - unfortunately none of us are the same so the plans and up being 'suitable for all' and 'suitable for none' at the same time.

Done - cheers! :)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You may remember I asked for some advice earlier in this thread as I stupidly signed up for the half marathon (whilst drunk).

I hate running and needed advice. You were all very helpful but, of course, I didn't listen and decided to immediately try and run 5 miles :lolol:

I made it without stopping but every mile was between 10min 50 seconds and 11min 5 seconds. You would say "slow", I would argue "consistant" :lolol:

It was painful and my hips still hurt a bit 2 days after. Would you suggest now ALWAYS trying to run at least that 5 miles or does the fact it hurt show I should drop my distance for the time being?

Thanks!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
So I signed up to the half marathon about 3 months ago but suffered a twisted knee the day after (I know - what luck!). My fitness levels have nosedived as a result and I've not actually been sent a training plan for the half marathon (which seems strange as it's in February!) so I'm a bit stuck on how to get up to speed in a short space of time. Anyone fancy giving me some hints/tips/plans/things I should be aiming for?

Cheers in advance!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What was your Bright10 time? I need to work out your potential. I'm getting worried you're going to be another NSCer passing me before the finish line in April!

1 hour 23 mins 17 seconds. You're probably safe for a while :lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You may remember I asked for some advice earlier in this thread as I stupidly signed up for the half marathon (whilst drunk).

I hate running and needed advice. You were all very helpful but, of course, I didn't listen and decided to immediately try and run 5 miles :lolol:

I made it without stopping but every mile was between 10min 50 seconds and 11min 5 seconds. You would say "slow", I would argue "consistant" :lolol:

It was painful and my hips still hurt a bit 2 days after. Would you suggest now ALWAYS trying to run at least that 5 miles or does the fact it hurt show I should drop my distance for the time being?

Thanks!

At this stage the first runs will hurt. Once recovered get out and run an easy 3-4 miles. When OK go up to 5. Just need to get the legs going at the moment.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Thanks!

When I first started I managed a mile and a half in about 20 minutes or something so you did pretty well.

While this all depends on the aerobic fitness you have from other activities / sports I wouldn't personally recommend sticking with the same distance over and over, you'll get bored. If you get a race bug you'll also need to put hills and sprints in to your schedule.

I do three runs a week. One short for speed work, one medium and one long (last week these were 5k, 10k and 22k). The short one is rarely over or under 5k and is where I do my sprints or just try to run 5k flat out but can also act as a short jogged recovery run after a race. Gradually increase your long run by maybe half a mile a week. After a while of doing that you'll want to increase your medium run or turn that in to your hills session.

This is only what worked for me. If you have less time then just fit in what you can. Add another run or two if you get really addicted (I would but for time commitments and injury worries)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
1 hour 23 mins 17 seconds. You're probably safe for a while :lolol:

The speed you got a coach has worried me! Some research has revealed that your 10k pace from the Phoenix 10k (your first race since starting to run again?) was 8:10ish and your 10 mile pace just sub 8:20. that shows you upped the distance over 60% and almost maintained your 10k pace. That was a great improvement. This means you could now run a much faster 10k, that you can deal with an increase in distance and you're improving.
I have trained for Brighton for the last 4 years.Pulled out with hayfever first year, missed 4 weeks training (7 weeks out) to injury next year and got 4:10, then 3:50 and finally ready to pb this year and had to WALK 5 times and get 3:57 being passed by Simgull and Dazzer and thousands of others.
So I'm sure you'll train for sub 4 and that puts you bang in the frame. Excellent running.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The speed you got a coach has worried me! Some research has revealed that your 10k pace from the Phoenix 10k (your first race since starting to run again?) was 8:10ish and your 10 mile pace just sub 8:20. that shows you upped the distance over 60% and almost maintained your 10k pace. That was a great improvement. This means you could now run a much faster 10k, that you can deal with an increase in distance and you're improving.
I have trained for Brighton for the last 4 years.Pulled out with hayfever first year, missed 4 weeks training (7 weeks out) to injury next year and got 4:10, then 3:50 and finally ready to pb this year and had to WALK 5 times and get 3:57 being passed by Simgull and Dazzer and thousands of others.
So I'm sure you'll train for sub 4 and that puts you bang in the frame. Excellent running.

Phoenix was number three, all 10ks. 55.16 at the BM10k then 52 something at Worthing.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So I signed up to the half marathon about 3 months ago but suffered a twisted knee the day after (I know - what luck!). My fitness levels have nosedived as a result and I've not actually been sent a training plan for the half marathon (which seems strange as it's in February!) so I'm a bit stuck on how to get up to speed in a short space of time. Anyone fancy giving me some hints/tips/plans/things I should be aiming for?

Cheers in advance!

If it is Brighton in Feb. just go out and run and walk for anything from 30-45 minutes for a few weeks. Stretch a lot particularly the knee. Runnersworld should have a training plan. Main thing is to get semi fit to be able to deal with Xmas excess and be able to keep running during the festivities.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Cheers in advance!

There's a training plan on the Brighton half marathon website, which is probably why they didn't send you one. It looks reasonable to me, although I'd concur with other recent posts that everybody needs to think about their own plan because we're all a bit different.
http://www.brightonhalfmarathon.com/preparation/training-plan/

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
45mph wind forecast for Sunday morning. Brooks 10k will be fun in the middle but hard going for the first 3km and last 2km on the altered course.

Looks like I was wrong. Not 45mph but touching 50mph. Just cycled home West along the seafront. Took a bit longer than normal. As a meeting point shall we just look for @Bignuts as the tallest around the finish line?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good luck tomorrow fellas. I saw a physio yesterday who worked out that the tightness in my lower calf was actually due to a small strain higher up so he then gave that a going over and seems to have released the adhesion that was causing the tightness. I'll be attempting a slow 30 min jog tomorrow whilst you're battling the seafront hurricane. Only been two weeks out so hopefully should be back on it quickly.

Brighton 16 is starting to look a bit tasty from an NSC competition perspective. I'm in, but will be using it as a recovery run from the SDW50 the week before hopefully (did the same last year) so won't be joining in any silly racing (hoping to have a stab at a marathon PB in Dec or January though before the long slog of ultra training really kicks off after Christmas).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I took football training this morning and abandoned it after an hour when the big rain hit. Then ran my son's football party this afternoon. Looking at the health app I have done 11.5k today. My calf / foot is giving me gip having felt better for the last 2 days, there's a curry on order and a cider on the go. The idea of battling 40 mph winds and then getting the kids through a match is unappealing to say the least. I was going to bin tomorrow completely but, looking at the forecast, there isn't a better day either. Might run first thing. Might run last thing. Might not bother. Meh.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
N
Good luck tomorrow fellas. I saw a physio yesterday who worked out that the tightness in my lower calf was actually due to a small strain higher up so he then gave that a going over and seems to have released the adhesion that was causing the tightness. I'll be attempting a slow 30 min jog tomorrow whilst you're battling the seafront hurricane. Only been two weeks out so hopefully should be back on it quickly.

Brighton 16 is starting to look a bit tasty from an NSC competition perspective. I'm in, but will be using it as a recovery run from the SDW50 the week before hopefully (did the same last year) so won't be joining in any silly racing (hoping to have a stab at a marathon PB in Dec or January though before the long slog of ultra training really kicks off after Christmas).

What is Brighton 16? I can't find any info.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Looks like I was wrong. Not 45mph but touching 50mph. Just cycled home West along the seafront. Took a bit longer than normal. As a meeting point shall we just look for @Bignuts as the tallest around the finish line?

I'm cycling down to the bottom of West Street for 9am then heading towards the start line. I'm up for a post run beer will probably need to be Wetherspoons but at least the ale is cheap.

What impact approx do you think the wind will have for times? I might look it up later, will it slow 10% or more?

Should be an interesting run with a quick 5k in the middle.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I took football training this morning and abandoned it after an hour when the big rain hit. Then ran my son's football party this afternoon. Looking at the health app I have done 11.5k today. My calf / foot is giving me gip having felt better for the last 2 days, there's a curry on order and a cider on the go. The idea of battling 40 mph winds and then getting the kids through a match is unappealing to say the least. I was going to bin tomorrow completely but, looking at the forecast, there isn't a better day either. Might run first thing. Might run last thing. Might not bother. Meh.

Curry and wine here too. Youth footy tomorrow already cancelled. No football, no long run. WTF do normal people do on Sundays ? #lost

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here