Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting stuff, and does make me wonder whether I should look at getting in a second pair of running shoes, given that I split my time approximately 60:40 between my current running shoes and my trail shoes. I was thinking something a bit lighter than my Asics Oberons for race days and shorter quick runs.

Worth thinking about - I use lighter shoes for short runs and races on the road (typically use Brooks GTS on, for example, the Downs when it's dry, but drop to Racer STs - much lighter but fit, feel and cushioning are similar). It's quite a revelation running in lighter shoes if you're not used to it. Always good to rotate shoes anyway

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Having bitched about injury I felt great again today. Only had half an hour to run so just went for a fast (for me) 5k. Ran my second best ever and only the second I've ever done in under 25 mins, coming in at 24.52. All negative splits too:

It's worth feeling like crap one night a week to run like that :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Poppy half, Bexhill Saturday anyone? Having to miss the game for it unfortunately.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Having bitched about injury I felt great again today. Only had half an hour to run so just went for a fast (for me) 5k. Ran my second best ever and only the second I've ever done in under 25 mins, coming in at 24.52. All negative splits too:

It's worth feeling like crap one night a week to run like that :)

nice! According to my running app on my phone I ran a 5k PB of 24: 24 two weeks ago and ever since I haven't got anywhere near! 27-28 since. Makes you wonder what could have changed?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Poppy half, Bexhill Saturday anyone? Having to miss the game for it unfortunately.

Still half a chance I'll be at Preston Park for the Velothon loopy madness thing, calf has eased up significantly in last couple of days (and if ever there is a race that's easy to drop from if it plays up, this is it). With a 9am start I'm planning to get to the game after it.............

Heard nothing but good reports about the Poppy Half from clubmates.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
nice! According to my running app on my phone I ran a 5k PB of 24: 24 two weeks ago and ever since I haven't got anywhere near! 27-28 since. Makes you wonder what could have changed?

For me it depends on a lot of things but mainly the length of previous runs and, obviously, conditions. My 5k loop comes home in a Westerly direction that normally makes it hard to run negative splits in to the prevailing wind but today there was a gentle Easterly which was perfect for that run.

My long run on a Sunday varies between eight and 13 miles ish. After a HM on a Sunday I can't run faster than 6.00 minute kilometres on the Tuesday whereas last Sunday I ran 10 miles at a fairly even tempo.

I've also been doing a lot of speed work. Hills or intervals or a fast 5 or 10 k every week. Lastly, because I was worried about injury, I have stretched a lot since Sunday and also went for a long walk in my new shoes yesterday to help break them in.

The only other time I have gone sub 25 was actually the first 5k of the Phoenix 10k race where I had adrenaline and a pacer. 27s are pretty standard for me too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For me it depends on a lot of things but mainly the length of previous runs and, obviously, conditions. My 5k loop comes home in a Westerly direction that normally makes it hard to run negative splits in to the prevailing wind but today there was a gentle Easterly which was perfect for that run.

My long run on a Sunday varies between eight and 13 miles ish. After a HM on a Sunday I can't run faster than 6.00 minute kilometres on the Tuesday whereas last Sunday I ran 10 miles at a fairly even tempo.

I've also been doing a lot of speed work. Hills or intervals or a fast 5 or 10 k every week. Lastly, because I was worried about injury, I have stretched a lot since Sunday and also went for a long walk in my new shoes yesterday to help break them in.

The only other time I have gone sub 25 was actually the first 5k of the Phoenix 10k race where I had adrenaline and a pacer. 27s are pretty standard for me too.

I wouldn't read too much into a time recorded on a phone app, usually too much margin for error. PBs should only be official race times :p

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds AWESOME, but I do this all the time and it doesn't work for me :drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

Off is my reply to that. 2 weeks of alcohol would be better than 2 weeks off alcohol but I am preparing for the 3 months off from Mid Jan to April. Next year. December will be fun.

Not doing it for performance reasons but decided the liver may like a rest after 40 years enjoying alcohol..........

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Off is my reply to that. 2 weeks of alcohol would be better than 2 weeks off alcohol but I am preparing for the 3 months off from Mid Jan to April. Next year. December will be fun.

Not doing it for performance reasons but decided the liver may like a rest after 40 years enjoying alcohol..........

I'm going dry January to Brighton Marathon as well, as much for the liver as the running. I doubt that will stop me getting ratarsed the whole week after the marathon mind :lolol:

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I wouldn't read too much into a time recorded on a phone app, usually too much margin for error. PBs should only be official race times :p

Ah I'm far too casual to run an actual race I think so I won't have any 'official' PBs. Relatively new to running, tried to run 10k this weekend but was totally knackered by 9 and had to stop.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ah I'm far too casual to run an actual race I think so I won't have any 'official' PBs. Relatively new to running, tried to run 10k this weekend but was totally knackered by 9 and had to stop.

One word - parkrun. Free 5k, turn up and run, get an official time (and if you're local to Brighton join the NSC parkrun massive now and again and join in the pisstaking).

Most of us on this thread were new to running once.........stick at it, you'll get better very quickly if you want to, loads of success stories on here. My first 10k nearly killed me.

Ref other threads actually - if there was a 'what's the friendliest, most helpful thread on NSC' poll, this one would win :clap2:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm going dry January to Brighton Marathon as well, as much for the liver as the running. I doubt that will stop me getting ratarsed the whole week after the marathon mind :lolol:

I went dry from Jan 1st until my first marathon (London in April 2006). Never done it since, like wine too much and realised it makes not a jot of difference so I don't torture myself any more. I've heard Paula Radcliffe say she sometimes had a glass the night before a race (although suspect her idea of 'a glass' is a bit different to mine).

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The last 3 months have been one niggling injury after another. The latest is a sore left achilles which just becomes extremely sore when running, so much so that only lasted 10 mins tonight. I have rested it for a few days, ice, self massage, (trying to rub out any nodules). It's not anything like a tear or partial rupture, just very niggling & preventing me from running.

Anyone else have any quick fix it remedies?

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
The last 3 months have been one niggling injury after another. The latest is a sore left achilles which just becomes extremely sore when running, so much so that only lasted 10 mins tonight. I have rested it for a few days, ice, self massage, (trying to rub out any nodules). It's not anything like a tear or partial rupture, just very niggling & preventing me from running.

You could try a chiropractor and acupuncture which seems to work well for me but it's a fairly costly exercise or just rest up until things feel better. I can't remember running without pain and often bitch about it to whoever will listen but I've accepted it's just part of the experience and talking to other runners seems something we all have to go through.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Yep, definitely, 100% get yourself to a good sports massage/physio type person.........absolutely first thing to get is a correct diagnosis, can't really be treated until you have that (don't bother with a GP, they are pretty useless with running injuries in my experience and will just tell you to rest until it doesn't hurt). You've probably got a bit of achilles tendonopathy/tendonitis - be very careful as it's an absolute sod to shift if it gets chronic

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Long range forecast looks good. The boys will smash Wednesday tonight so more relaxed about missing the game.

Looking forward to a nice flat race, see you there

I'll be the fat fella at the back in the blue Albion training t shirt :thumbsup:

Did this one last year and it's great... This was my first ever half last year & this will be my 6th overall so 6 in 12 months - my New Years goal was 5 in 2015 which I also complete Saturday hopefully :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here