Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I would definitely wear road shoes on wet sand........no need for any grip

Thanks. It may well be one to consider then, Thursday nights are normally clear but I'd best check with 'er indoors.

I'm also slightly worried that I have either a strain or the start of a stress injury in my right foot. It hurts right on the inside (where you would kick a football if you wanted to play an accurate ground pass) from the bone near my big toe to the middle. It's fine sitting down and standing, a tiny bit noticeable walking and ruddy painful going down stairs. Anyone had anything like this before?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
4 * 5 minute intervals within an 8k run tonight. However, that wasn't the interesting thing. The interesting thing was running past 2 lesbians fighting outside an ice cream parlour.

Was the argument about who was going to lick ice cream off of the other's tits first?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'm also slightly worried that I have either a strain or the start of a stress injury in my right foot. It hurts right on the inside (where you would kick a football if you wanted to play an accurate ground pass) from the bone near my big toe to the middle. It's fine sitting down and standing, a tiny bit noticeable walking and ruddy painful going down stairs. Anyone had anything like this before?

I get this with ill-fitting trainers.
I've got high arches so need good (and soft) support trainers.

Any chance you have high arches?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The walking down stairs bit sounds like plantar fasciitis. It's how I really first noticed it when I had it a few years ago when I ramped up from no running to a fair bit. Getting out of bed and going downstairs first thing in the morning was really painful.

The plantar fascia runs from the heel to the forefoot and supports the arch, pretty much where you describe.

(I'm not convinced my recent injury was PF as it cleared up so quickly. I'm wondering if it was simply heavy bruising from when I ran a bit barefooted on concrete. Regardless, I'm thankful it did get better quickly.)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I get this with ill-fitting trainers.
I've got high arches so need good (and soft) support trainers.

Any chance you have high arches?

Cheers. I actually don't know ( :facepalm: ) but I will look in to it. I run in Brooks GTS 14s which have been really comfortable and bouncy up to now but I have worried they have been "going". When I got them I was doing beginner mileage but now my long runs are 10 - 13 miles and my maintenance runs 6k - 10k. Might need to get checked out by Run.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Cheers. I actually don't know ( :facepalm: ) but I will look in to it. I run in Brooks GTS 14s which have been really comfortable and bouncy up to now but I have worried they have been "going". When I got them I was doing beginner mileage but now my long runs are 10 - 13 miles and my maintenance runs 6k - 10k. Might need to get checked out by Run.

The GTS 14 have a flat/medium arch so they're pretty much neutral trainers.

One idea is to go to Sports Direct on North Street (I know, horrible place), go upstairs and they have an digital foot analyzer which will tell and show you what type of arch you have and which type of shoe would suit you best.

I've got fairly bespoke (polite for ****ed up) feet, so it's a real pain to get really good fitting trainers.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The walking down stairs bit sounds like plantar fasciitis. It's how I really first noticed it when I had it a few years ago when I ramped up from no running to a fair bit. Getting out of bed and going downstairs first thing in the morning was really painful.

The plantar fascia runs from the heel to the forefoot and supports the arch, pretty much where you describe.

(I'm not convinced my recent injury was PF as it cleared up so quickly. I'm wondering if it was simply heavy bruising from when I ran a bit barefooted on concrete. Regardless, I'm thankful it did get better quickly.)

eek!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Beat the tide looks and sounds great. I'll try and be there.

I'll also be at HP tomorrow morning but, having picked up some kind of strain on my right leg during a run through London yesterday (possibly caused by the fall I had after mile 1), it's unlikely last week's 21:13 is going to be improved upon.

See you all then...

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'll also be at Hove Park tomorrow for my first Park Run in months.
I just about managed 5k on the treadmill last week @ 23:38 so I'll be very happy if I can beat 25:00 tomorrow.

Edit:

Just checked and my last park run was on 11/01/2014 :eek:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Sounds like a good number running Hove Park tomorrow. Just throwing it out there, Hove Prom could be quicker as only a 3 mph Easterly to deal with.

I'm happy to run either as both about 1 mile from my house.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sounds like a good number running Hove Park tomorrow. Just throwing it out there, Hove Prom could be quicker as only a 3 mph Easterly to deal with.

I'm happy to run either as both about 1 mile from my house.
I can't cheat on Hove Park with the Prom Doris 😂

I reckon I'll only be about 70%, but we'll see...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If I'm awake and able to get there, I'll be in the "Red" away shirt with Zamora 25 on the back. Feel free to give some abuse/encouragement!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'm impressed anyone will be in shape to run tomorrow morning. #OnItAlready

I've had a measly two pints thanks to the trains, yet will spend tomorrow morning at my son's football training in the sun. Then later on I've got yet another jeffing weight putting on, alcohol swigging BBQ with [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] after which I'm going for a sub 90 min 10 mile, dodgy inside foot an' all. :mad:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've had a measly two pints thanks to the trains, yet will spend tomorrow morning at my son's football training in the sun. Then later on I've got yet another jeffing weight putting on, alcohol swigging BBQ with [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] after which I'm going for a sub 90 min 10 mile, dodgy inside foot an' all. :mad:

Straight afterwards ? I'll sit and carry on supping with Mrs Guinness and gleefully await your return.

Hurry up with the blog. I want reading material.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I'll be there but after a couple of pints in the Nelson tonight and the cold I've had all week ill be happy with 25 mins.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Ill be at HP. Only a couple of pints last night so feel ok. Wearing my normal illuminated yellow brooks, white top, black shorts(which dosent really ddistinguish me from other runners thinking about it!) Have good runs today!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here