Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Without wanting to get too downmarket, has anyone else experienced changes in their bowel movements since taking up running?

I've gone from a one movement a day man to three or four.

I've seen my GP and have had blood tests taken, but nothing untoward revealed, so now in a quandary.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
067f64489a428d235e199cf84fc8a6be.jpg

Like this ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fortunately before and after, rather than during.

Runners trots is a common thing - before, it's triggered by adrenaline ('fight or flight' response), important to drop the kids off at the pool before you start if you can. After, thought to be caused by motion. During is an issue on longer runs, most ultra runners carry kitchen roll (better than loo paper as doesn't turn to mush when wet) and make use of hedges.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Without wanting to get too downmarket, has anyone else experienced changes in their bowel movements since taking up running?

I've seen my GP and have had blood tests taken, but nothing untoward revealed, so now in a quandary.

I don't handle glucose / isotonic drinks at all well. Before Worhting 10k I had a bottle of Lucozade Sport and they were handing them out again at the end. That afternoon I needed to make a RUSTY GRAVY RIVER..

I'm fine on water though. It's making me feel a bit nervous of using gels on the marathon.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't handle glucose / isotonic drinks at all well. Before Worhting 10k I had a bottle of Lucozade Sport and they were handing them out again at the end. That afternoon I needed to make a RUSTY GRAVY RIVER..

I'm fine on water though. It's making me feel a bit nervous of using gels on the marathon.

Agree with you about the gels. I found taking just sips of them rather than the whole sachet was an improvement.

I went back to one a day after the post Brighton marathon fallow running period, but now I'm out 4 times a week I'm on the chod bin every few hours.

Having been dismissed once by my GP not quite sure what to do next, so was wondering if I'm alone in this condition.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'm amazed people drink shite like Lucozade sport.
A Tri-er was talking about this on geeks.

That stuff is rubbish, and is just sugar in a bottle, steer well clear.
Given the choice of Lucozade or ditch water, take the ditch water.

High 5 tablets and whatever your gel of choice is will do fine.
I prefer the runnyiest gels also High 5, and there's another brand I cant remember.
Some are like gloss paint, good luck getting those down.

If you still crave a sugar hit a little bag of haribo or jelly beans work wonders.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I prefer the runnyiest gels also High 5, and there's another brand I cant remember.

If you still crave a sugar hit a little bag of haribo or jelly beans work wonders.

Agree with this. For anything under 2 hours you really don't need any fuel, just water is enough (your body stores enough glycogen for 2 hrs strenuous exercise). After that you need to work on developing fat-burning capability, as the greater reliance you can start to place on that, the less you'll need to worry about refuelling. I haven't had a gel or 'sports drink' for at least two years.

The sugar intake will tend to give you a quick high, as it's absorbed quickly, but then a big low as it runs out (bear in mind most gels are 80-110 kcals, which is about 1 mile of running).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

I'm going to head out for 10 - 11 miles or so with a hangover shortly. Taking water and water only.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'm going to head out for 10 - 11 miles or so with a hangover shortly. Taking water and water only.

A mix of road and off road running this morning
Distance 9.5mi
Moving Time 1:41:10
Pace 10:36/mi
Elevation 868ft Calories1,728
https://www.strava.com/activities/349203874

Make that a 9.25 miler for me as well. A long painful jog basically. Was going to try for longer than 10 miles but had to walk just past 9 miles. I'll settle for an hour and a half on my feet though which will have burned off the sausages, burgers and rather nice bottle of Minervois I polished off last night.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Yep, I experienced something similar. I've been running pretty much daily for the last year now, so I've settled down a bit but to start with it was a bit of an issue. Any runs of over about 5 miles included a pit stop. I found it was particularly bad if I was running early in the day, when I first got into running it was in response to insomnia so I would be out on the seafront before 6am, summer months so it was nice and bright but the public gents' were closed. Not ideal!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Here's a little challenge for anyone who likes to combine a run with a bike ride. Cycle up to the top of Sompting Hill (the 'easy' way - from the A27 to the south). Cycle (well, hurtle) down Steyning Bostal Road. Cycle back up Bostal Road (short - around 1.5km but sharp - around 17% in places). Jog back down and then run back up.
Guaranteed to generate a sweat. Only 3 km of challenge but quite a hard workout. If you can run it faster than you can cycle it then you are either a good runner or a poor cyclist. Top cyclists can do it in just over 4 minutes, not quite sure what a good runner could do it in. I'm pretty shit at both, but on this one just doing it is a little achievement.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
First time around marathon training, I would ALWAYS have bottles of Lucozade Sport - made up from the power. I think I became a bit dependent on it, but in reality, I doubt it made that much difference. Nowadays I don't take on anything when training, and rarely during a race, which is probably really bad, but I seem to be alright.

Had a brilliant run yesterday - 15 miles to Brighton and back from Shoreham-by-Sea in bang on two hours. Average pace of 8:01, and a 1:45 HM time. For a change, I managed to keep going whereas I would normally be flagging by 12.

Quieter than normal at Hove Park on Saturday, with not too many familiar faces around. I started at the back and ran with a mate of mine who was pushing a buggy and took it nice and easy, pushing on for the last 1.5km to finish in 25-ish minutes. Nice to slow it down once in a while...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Your shed must be an absolute mess.

Seriously though, I usually log out at least 3 times a day (usually while posting on NSC). It's definitely down to the exercise increasing your metabolic rate and generally making your body move everything along a bit quicker. As long as things are normally solid, then there's nothing to worry about.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Your shed must be an absolute mess.

Seriously though, I usually log out at least 3 times a day (usually while posting on NSC). It's definitely down to the exercise increasing your metabolic rate and generally making your body move everything along a bit quicker. As long as things are normally solid, then there's nothing to worry about.

I went six times yesterday so heading back to see a medic!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
So, has anyone got any tips on maintaining pace up hills? My usual 8.6 mile route has about 300 foot of uphill, now while I can happily maintain sub 7 minute miles without much effort on the level or downhill every time I encounter an incline my pace drops away rapidly, and I find it hard to keep even at 7:30 pace.

I tried using my watch to keep an even pace today, keeping the effort on the hills and off the flat and descents, and came in on 1:03:50 averaging 7:21 minute miles.

Section/MileTime TakenSpeed (Miles per Hour)
10:07:20 8.20
20:07:28 8.09
30:07:32 7.97
40:06:42 8.93
50:07:17 8.26
60:07:29 8.04
70:07:42 7.81
80:07:31 7.99
90:04:48 8.55

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here