Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
P
Aaaaaand I'm injured :(

Decided to follow up yesterday's 10 miler with a game of football with some 8 -10 year olds (after a beer) and a swim. This morning my right knee was a ball of pain when I woke up and I hobbled very gingerly indeed to the 4 hour train trip to work I had to take. It felt fine while I was sat on the train but gave a noticeable cracking noise when I got up again. Stretching it out hurts like hell. Sitting normally with it bent is fine. In a hotel tonight so no chance of an ice pack but will get plenty of rest and some beer for medicinal purposes.

No idea what I've done but tomorrow's recovery run looks unlikely

Tough luck. Something us elite athletes have to endure. If not OK in a day or 2 I can supply name of a Sports Injury Man. £35 a session. Usually sorts things in one session but if more problematic will tell you what to do and when you will be ready to run. He has a success rate to rival that of Jesus.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Aaaaaand I'm injured :(

Decided to follow up yesterday's 10 miler with a game of football with some 8 -10 year olds (after a beer) and a swim. This morning my right knee was a ball of pain when I woke up and I hobbled very gingerly indeed to the 4 hour train trip to work I had to take. It felt fine while I was sat on the train but gave a noticeable cracking noise when I got up again. Stretching it out hurts like hell. Sitting normally with it bent is fine. In a hotel tonight so no chance of an ice pack but will get plenty of rest and some beer for medicinal purposes.

No idea what I've done but tomorrow's recovery run looks unlikely

Sounds nasty -- hope it doesn't turn into something that's going to stop you running for a while. I've been following your impressive progress with interest over the last few months. It'd be a real shame if you faced a setback now -- I speak with feeling having only just started proper training again after my ankle setback at the BM10k. I went through several cycles of resting for a week or two then thinking "s*d it, I'll just go for it", only to find I was back at square one. Took several sports physio sessions and serious reduction in training frequency and intensity to get back to (almost) normal -- did my first parkrun for several months last week, and I've lost a good minute off my previous times. Still, on the positive side I've felt confident enough to sign up today for the Brighton half, having seen in the Argus that places are selling out fast -- it'll be my first race over 10k, so looking forward to it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thanks for the goodwill and advice [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION]

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I've had a break from running for a few days, as I was a bit under the weather and running was hard work.

Back on it today with some intervals, and keeping the warm-up, rest and cool-down sections very easy. All in all I felt much better, and even managed one 5 minute work section at over 9mph :)

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Went for a run along the sea front this evening and found myself in the middle of the Hove Prom park run test event! Was tempted to run through the finish as even had my bar code in my pocket from Saturday.
Looks like two loops, starting near the lawns cafe running west up to near Medina villas then back east to the Peace Statue and back to the cafe again. The turns are slightly swept with a couple of cones about 5 metres apart which is better than the sharp 180 degree turn at Preston Park, but will still slow people down. I think they will try to keep other prom users on the sea front side of the prom but it could get pretty crowded. There will obviously be a novelty factor, it should be quick and the views of the sea are of course great but it look a bit dull as a course in comparison with the other two runs in the city.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've had a break from running for a few days, as I was a bit under the weather and running was hard work.

Back on it today with some intervals, and keeping the warm-up, rest and cool-down sections very easy. All in all I felt much better, and even managed one 5 minute work section at over 9mph :)

I've had 6 (six) days off after running for 33 (a gazillion) days straight.

I'm even sitting here in my running kit, having intended to get out again tonight. But it was a long day driving to Bristol and back, with some work in the middle, so I ate cheesecake instead. I might drink gin now. I'm going to put on my brand spanking new GTS 15s for the first time tomorrow and run a half-marathon. Maybe.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Went for a run along the sea front this evening and found myself in the middle of the Hove Prom park run test event! Was tempted to run through the finish as even had my bar code in my pocket from Saturday.
Looks like two loops, starting near the lawns cafe running west up to near Medina villas then back east to the Peace Statue and back to the cafe again. The turns are slightly swept with a couple of cones about 5 metres apart which is better than the sharp 180 degree turn at Preston Park, but will still slow people down. I think they will try to keep other prom users on the sea front side of the prom but it could get pretty crowded. There will obviously be a novelty factor, it should be quick and the views of the sea are of course great but it look a bit dull as a course in comparison with the other two runs in the city.

Isn't that what I said to you the other week, and you took offence because it was part of your running route? :D

I might do the occasional one down there but, to be honest, it'll take a lot for this creature of habit to shift from Hove Park (152 not out!).

I seem to remember most of you are heading there for the first one, in which case, I'll see you at the start line for Phoenix (or probably in the pub afterwards...)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thought I'd give my new shoes a whirl tonight and set off at 9:30 this evening, with no real aim in place. As it was late thought I would keep it to a short sharp one but ended up taking 50 seconds of my 10k pb with a run of 41:54. Went off quick for the first two miles and then just stayed pretty steady and felt strong throughout. If conditions are as still as tonight I might get close to breaking 41 minutes if not I'll settle for any type of pb.

I want to try the Hove prom park run purely for it's pb potential but as I'm a seafront runner most of the time, I quite enjoy going up to Hove Park.

Splits from tonight

1 6:37.6 1.00 6:38
2 6:39.1 1.00 6:39
3 6:46.5 1.00 6:47
4 6:51.1 1.00 6:51
5 6:53.2 1.00 6:53
6 6:52.4 1.00 6:52
7 1:13.7 0.20 6:03
41:53.5 6.20 6:45

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
and then just stayed pretty steady and felt strong throughout.

I'm a seafront runner most of the time

This is something I've thought about a bit recently. My runs involve crossing a fair few roads including my 10km (and a bit) loop which has me crossing the A27 twice, one of Worthing major North-South roads twice and all manner of minor roads. This definitely breaks up rhythm even if I'm relatively lucky with breaks in traffic.

I've noticed once I do reach the seafront, which can take between 3.5-4.5 miles depending on which route I take to get there, I am able to settle into a steady pattern and just keep it going. I don't really want to drive somewhere in order to be able to run, but I'm thinking I might have to when I'm fancying myself for a 'fast' one.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hill sprints for me this morning. Only a short session, but over a minute quicker than I managed over the same distance two weeks ago.

The 'cut out the crap' diet I started on 1st July is paying off [emoji106]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Managed to get some ice on my knee and some beer in me last night. Also found it became less painful as I stretched it straight so did that. The knee is still a little painful but nowhere near as stiff and it's stopped clicking. Hopeful signs. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Managed to get some ice on my knee and some beer in me last night. Also found it became less painful as I stretched it straight so did that. The knee is still a little painful but nowhere near as stiff and it's stopped clicking. Hopeful signs. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

I had a knee like this after the Hastings Half Marathon this year and got back on track within a week in time for the Brighton Marathon taper. Yours maybe the same and it Might NOT be,
You could carefully try the stretch where you lie flat on the floor and hold the right ankle with right arm and bring the heel up to touch the buttock. Also have to do left side never stretch one side. The only thing is to STOP the stretch as soon as you feel any slight pain in the knee or you will make it worse. This should be felt in your thigh muscles, quads, mainly at the front of the leg.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Dragged my sorry arse out tonight again, finally.

Boy, what a difference rested legs make. For the first 8 miles I was bounding along without really trying. I did my 2nd best 5km, 2nd best 10km, best 15km and best 10 miles (over 4 mins quicker than my previous best).

By this point I was suffering badly though. Not with my legs, and not with lung capacity but with my feet. Stupidly I'd gone out for a long run with brand new shoes. From 8 miles I just got slower and slower as my feet, and my toes in particular, got more and more sore. I probably should have stopped but I'd such a good start to the run that I could probably have walked the last few miles and still broken my half-marathon PB.

I nearly pulled my shoes off at the 11 mile mark but I knew I had some dark pavements ahead of me. At 12 miles I'd had enough though and pulled them off, running the last mile and a bit barefoot.

In the end, I took over 2 minutes off my half-marathon PB, but I was on track to knock at least another 5 minutes off it but my shoes put paid to that.

Some of my toes are now an absolute mess so that could be me for a few more days again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dragged my sorry arse out tonight again, finally.

Boy, what a difference rested legs make. For the first 8 miles I was bounding along without really trying. I did my 2nd best 5km, 2nd best 10km, best 15km and best 10 miles (over 4 mins quicker than my previous best).

By this point I was suffering badly though. Not with my legs, and not with lung capacity but with my feet. Stupidly I'd gone out for a long run with brand new shoes. From 8 miles I just got slower and slower as my feet, and my toes in particular, got more and more sore. I probably should have stopped but I'd such a good start to the run that I could probably have walked the last few miles and still broken my half-marathon PB.

I nearly pulled my shoes off at the 11 mile mark but I knew I had some dark pavements ahead of me. At 12 miles I'd had enough though and pulled them off, running the last mile and a bit barefoot.

In the end, I took over 2 minutes off my half-marathon PB, but I was on track to knock at least another 5 minutes off it but my shoes put paid to that.

Some of my toes are now an absolute mess so that could be me for a few more days again.

Good running, but those shoes aren't right for you in that case - should never mess up your feet like that. A bit of breaking-in is usually wise, but still shouldn't cause any major issues on a relatively short run. What socks do you wear ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good running, but those shoes aren't right for you in that case - should never mess up your feet like that. A bit of breaking-in is usually wise, but still shouldn't cause any major issues on a relatively short run. What socks do you wear ?

They're the same sized Brooks Adrenaline GTS15s that have served me so well over the last few months.

Socks were a variable I'd not considered. I normally wear a relatively standard Nike sports sock. Yesterday I just kept on a Sketchers trainer sock I'd had on earlier in the day.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They're the same sized Brooks Adrenaline GTS15s that have served me so well over the last few months.

Socks were a variable I'd not considered. I normally wear a relatively standard Nike sports sock. Yesterday I just kept on a Sketchers trainer sock I'd had on earlier in the day.

Bit odd then.....I use GTS as well and have done a marathon in a pair fresh out of the box. Have you tried twinskin socks ? Virtually never have blisters with them, even when soaked.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bit odd then.....I use GTS as well and have done a marathon in a pair fresh out of the box. Have you tried twinskin socks ? Virtually never have blisters with them, even when soaked.

No, I've not tried any sort of technical sock at all - I've not needed to. My socks have just been very ordinary sports sock (tube socks?). Thanks for the tip on twinskin - I'll buy a few pairs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I had a knee like this after the Hastings Half Marathon this year and got back on track within a week in time for the Brighton Marathon taper. Yours maybe the same and it Might NOT be,
You could carefully try the stretch where you lie flat on the floor and hold the right ankle with right arm and bring the heel up to touch the buttock. Also have to do left side never stretch one side. The only thing is to STOP the stretch as soon as you feel any slight pain in the knee or you will make it worse. This should be felt in your thigh muscles, quads, mainly at the front of the leg.

Did that last night. Managed 5 pain free reps before I felt it slightly and stopped. This morning I am walking normally and going to try the stretch again before bed. Thanks for this, much appreciated :thumbsup:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
No, I've not tried any sort of technical sock at all - I've not needed to. My socks have just been very ordinary sports sock (tube socks?). Thanks for the tip on twinskin - I'll buy a few pairs.

Get yourself some Thorolos running socks, blisters will be a thing of the past.

I decided to go for a long easy run today, a total of 9.54 miles at an average 7:35 minutes per mile - I would have preferred 7:30 for an easy run, but I'll not beat myself up about it as a) this is the furthest distance I've run since the Dorney Lake Half back in March; and b), this cold is still lingering #blamesthekids:

Mile/SectionTimeSpeed mph
10:07:487.70
20:07:208.20
30:07:278.08
40:07:427.81
50:07:437.80
60:07:427.80
70:07:347.96
80:07:377.89
90:07:537.63
100:03:428.79

The last column is speed... and I have a down hill run to home ;)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here