Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
There was some event in Preston Park today which meant they did not run the normal course so I guess. That affected the times.

I ran Chichester today as camping over here for the weekend. Nice event only 120 runners and I managed to finish 7th in 21:30- in fact only 6 seconds behind 4th place. Nice to get such a high position but I think it shows the standard at hove park is pretty high.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
That is kind of the beauty of park run in that the standard of the field can vary massively from week to week. When I set my previous pb of 19:41 I finished 5th, this week I was a second quicker and finished 18th - with the winner clocking a 15:16!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some cracking times all round yesterday !

I managed to pull a calf muscle after 2 miles on a gentle first outing after last week. Funny old game. [emoji53]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I was running down the last hill for the home straight yesterday and a little whippersnapper ran up and sat on my shoulder. Not wanting someone who came up to my belly button out sprinting me, I decided to open up a bit more. Left him by a good 5 yards. Get to the basketball court and he opened up a bit more. I followed his blur but he gained 5 seconds in the last 100m.
Just found out from the results that he is under10! Gave me a nice run in though.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I was running down the last hill for the home straight yesterday and a little whippersnapper ran up and sat on my shoulder. Not wanting someone who came up to my belly button out sprinting me, I decided to open up a bit more. Left him by a good 5 yards. Get to the basketball court and he opened up a bit more. I followed his blur but he gained 5 seconds in the last 100m.
Just found out from the results that he is under10! Gave me a nice run in though.

If it's any consolation I got beaten in a sprint finish by a little girl yesterday :p Though in my defence I was resisting the urge to be violently sick at that point!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Back in the world of plodding my watch tells me I just ran a new 10 mile PB of 1.35.01 (guess who wasn't looking at the watch in the run in) although the GPS on Strava using my phone insists I ran 10 miles 225 yards with a best estimated 10 miles of 1.34.03. Either is a PB and I now have a fixed course that I can take both devices on. Splits were all over the place with mile 2 run in 9.47 and mile 5 in 9.49 but then mile 6 run in 8.55 and mile 8 in 9.14 (in to the wind). If I could get this consistent I think I would see that time coming down even more. Something to work on.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Back in the world of plodding my watch tells me I just ran a new 10 mile PB of 1.35.01 (guess who wasn't looking at the watch in the run in) although the GPS on Strava using my phone insists I ran 10 miles 225 yards with a best estimated 10 miles of 1.34.03. Either is a PB and I now have a fixed course that I can take both devices on. Splits were all over the place with mile 2 run in 9.47 and mile 5 in 9.49 but then mile 6 run in 8.55 and mile 8 in 9.14 (in to the wind). If I could get this consistent I think I would see that time coming down even more. Something to work on.
I would trust the watch, the phones add extra distance with their zig zag sections in the trace.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just ran the 4 miles steady up hill to the Dyke and 4 mile down hill for the third time in 5 days. Had a 11 or 12 year old girl bomb past me on the way down. This seems to be a conspiracy. Been a good week all in all. Ready to eat all day now and have a couple of pints of Harveys at lunchtime.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We were at friends for pizza and beer last night. My mate, who I've known from schooldays, entered the Worthing 10km even though he doesn't run.

He ran with another friend of his who had a time in mind and was pacing them with a watch. I asked what time they did and he said "46 minutes".

Now, he's always been a Sport Billy, and has a much leaner build than me, but the fact that he just trots out a 46 minute 10km when I'm slogging hard just to get under 50 minutes is quite depressing!

I'm 20 days through my #juneathon thing so I'm looking forward to being more measured about my running once July starts and seeing what times I could do when properly rested etc.

For today, I have to run 3.5 miles or so to retrieve my car from Worthing seafront. I should see the Race-for-Lifers go past. I'll do a proper long run tonight, maybe.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
For today, I have to run 3.5 miles or so to retrieve my car from Worthing seafront. I should see the Race-for-Lifers go past. I'll do a proper long run tonight, maybe.

Yes,I forgot to mention the Race For Life. My lard ar*e of a sister is going along to Worthing for it today. Last month having not run for 34 years since school and following the Doc's advice she started running again. Slow and painful in the first weeks but she is raring to go today and looks much healthier already. Good luck to all lifers.

I must say, on her behalf, she wasn't a lardie really!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Plan before was a nice easy 7 mile run after yesterday's park run. First two miles were as planned and then without much additional effort I picked up the pace and by mile 7 I was sprinting for home.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/810282315

I think I'll try and incorporate Park Runs most week with a 7/10 mile run Sundays and 10k Tuesday's. Upping the schedule to 3 days per week plus football Thursdays means I have enough rest days to prevent injuries.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Green Wheel relay Leg 1 Peterborough to Eye 8.16 miles
M1. 6.08 pace
M2. 6.11
M3. 6.21
M4. 6.20
M5. 6.20
M6. 6.34
M7. 6.44
M8. 6.24
.16M 5.18
Finishing Time 51.47 and 6.19 pace

Miles 1 & 2 were on pure adrenaline, 3,4 &5 were still ahead of my aim pace wise but felt really good. Pockets of headwind but a massive thank you to Captain fantastic Stu and Mr Jennings who supplied water, road blocks & huge support. 6&7 were mainly off rd and into a head wind all the way up to Eye dug deep but my pace dropped unfortunately. Mile 8 & 0.16 back on the tarmac and was me trying to claw back time lost, emptied the tank full on in the last squirt of a mlie to finish 90 sec ahead of predicted time.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
First proper run after 2 weeks boozing
7.4mi
Distance
1:18:38
Moving Time
10:33/mi
Pace
Elevation 579ft Calories1,337
Elapsed Time 1:19:22

Miles pretty consistent
11.10 (nasty hill - problem with living where I do - 203ft gained in that mile)
& 10.35 for the final part

Was a real struggle as felt heavy and unfit! Great to see so many from NSC out and running, certainly inspired me to get out today!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Green Wheel relay Leg 1 Peterborough to Eye 8.16 miles
M1. 6.08 pace
M2. 6.11
M3. 6.21
M4. 6.20
M5. 6.20
M6. 6.34
M7. 6.44
M8. 6.24
.16M 5.18
Finishing Time 51.47 and 6.19 pace

Miles 1 & 2 were on pure adrenaline, 3,4 &5 were still ahead of my aim pace wise but felt really good. Pockets of headwind but a massive thank you to Captain fantastic Stu and Mr Jennings who supplied water, road blocks & huge support. 6&7 were mainly off rd and into a head wind all the way up to Eye dug deep but my pace dropped unfortunately. Mile 8 & 0.16 back on the tarmac and was me trying to claw back time lost, emptied the tank full on in the last squirt of a mlie to finish 90 sec ahead of predicted time.

Incredible run, that's the same pace I ran my 5k pb in yesterday. I was blowing out of my arse at the end so to sustain that for a further 5 miles. Hats off.

See you for the Brighton Half in Feb sub 1:25?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
First proper run after 2 weeks boozing
7.4mi
Distance
1:18:38
Moving Time
10:33/mi
Pace
Elevation 579ft Calories1,337
Elapsed Time 1:19:22

Miles pretty consistent
11.10 (nasty hill - problem with living where I do - 203ft gained in that mile)
& 10.35 for the final part

Was a real struggle as felt heavy and unfit! Great to see so many from NSC out and running, certainly inspired me to get out today!

Good to see you've got your calories sorted! Good prep for your 10k's in July, hills are always beneficial.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Some cracking times all round yesterday !

I managed to pull a calf muscle after 2 miles on a gentle first outing after last week. Funny old game. [emoji53]

Hope that is Grade 1 and already on the way to full recovery. I know a miracle man in Hove that could do wonders in a single session, if needed.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I've now finished seven weeks of a 0-10k training programme. Having been able to run that distance regularly a couple of years back, a bout of plantar fasciitis, followed by getting out of the habit, ended my jogging antics, but having a read of this thread got me back out there. It's certainly something I find easier in the summer months, when I can head out into the vale of belvoir. Living in a small village, winter training is tricky, as I have no street lights after half a mile or so. So being able to be out in the fields at 6am makes things much easier. Still, nights start draw in in after tonight.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've now finished seven weeks of a 0-10k training programme. Having been able to run that distance regularly a couple of years back, a bout of plantar fasciitis, followed by getting out of the habit, ended my jogging antics, but having a read of this thread got me back out there. It's certainly something I find easier in the summer months, when I can head out into the vale of belvoir. Living in a small village, winter training is tricky, as I have no street lights after half a mile or so. So being able to be out in the fields at 6am makes things much easier. Still, nights start draw in in after tonight.

Graat start. Get a head torch for the winter and crack on [emoji3]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here