Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Tell me (again) please about the Garmin watches, as I'm feeling the urge to invest.

Is the 620 worth the extra outlay on the 220? Is the 225 much of an improvement over the 220? Does the fact there is a 225 mean there'll be a 625 soon?

Thanks!

I've got the 620 and a HRM. If you like analysing numbers (which I do) then it's a feast of fun. Very comfortable too.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
All went t*ts up for me I'm afraid........just one of those days. Started feeling dodgy about 15-20 miles in, then suffered regular dizzy spells and light-headedness whenever I tried to run. Not sure why, possibly dehydration due to the humidity, particularly in the first 6 hours or so. Almost dropped out at Washington, had a bit of a freshen up there so carried on but I knew I was done when I got to Clayton at 70 miles so dropped out there. [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] was going really well -was good to meet and jog along together for a bit, so pleased he finished, top effort !
That is a real shame. Heartbreaking when you've put so much work into it.

Have you got your eye on another event to try and utilise the great fitness you've built? Any idea what was wrong? Picked up a virus? Taper not quite right?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'll +1 for a garmin. I went for a polar 400,despite having a garmin 810 on the bike. The garmin interface and syncing is much more straightforward.

The virtual partner on the 620 is good if you are targeting a particular time and distance.

TBH I don't use the HRM much these days, some of the readings, such as vertical oscillation, are even too nerdy for a data whore such as me.

Similarly the VO2 max monitor is good when you kick off but once you've achieved a certain level it rarely moves.

It is an expensive toy but I do love it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That is a real shame. Heartbreaking when you've put so much work into it.

Have you got your eye on another event to try and utilise the great fitness you've built? Any idea what was wrong? Picked up a virus? Taper not quite right?

Let him get his breath back!:lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Let him get his breath back!:lolol:

LOL, I'm ok this morning apart from legs being a bit stiff. Interesting to read the earlier discussion about humidity - looking back I think that's what did for me. It was really, really sticky for the first few hours. I was chugging along ok (did first 'marathon' in about 4.40 or so) but I think I was overheating and probably dehydrating (although I was drinking loads). Weather was better later in the afternoon but damage had been done - no chance of recovering whilst still moving over that terrain really.

Little bit frustrated but happy I made the call to stop - I was feeling pretty awful, had slowed to a crawl and risked an 'incident' overnight if I carried on. It was also a bloody miserable 10-12 hours of fighting it. So many variables when you are your feet for that long and if one thing isn't right the wheels can fall off very quickly. Lots of runners complaining about the heat, and drop-out rate about 30% I think. All a learning experience......

LOL, I'm ok this morning apart from legs being a bit stiff. Interesting to read the earlier discussion about humidity - looking back I think that's what did for me. It was really, really sticky for the first few hours. I was chugging along ok (did first 'marathon' in about 4.40 or so) but I think I was overheating and probably dehydrating (although I was drinking loads). Weather was better later in the afternoon but damage had been done - no chance of recovering whilst still moving over that terrain really.

Little bit frustrated but happy I made the call to stop - I was feeling pretty awful, had slowed to a crawl and risked an 'incident' overnight if I carried on. It was also a bloody miserable 10-12 hours of fighting it. So many variables when you are your feet for that long and if one thing isn't right the wheels can fall off very quickly. Lots of runners complaining about the heat, and drop-out rate about 30% I think. All a learning experience......

Well done - a great effort. A friend of mine dropped out at 66 miles yesterday. Let us know what your next event will be. Will update the Marathon thread in a mo

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
After a 10k PB last week I have just taken advantage of the still, cloudy conditions to set a 10 mile PB of 1.37.54. Again nowhere near the standards of most on here but the first time I've gone sub 1.40 and gives me hope I can get well under 1.30 in the Bright10 in October.

An added "Bonus" was running on the front just as the naked bike ride had finished. Bonus that is if you like dodging elderly Dutch nudists queuing for a wee.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Inspired by the SDW100 chaps and a chance conversation at a BBQ last night that revealed some trails close at hand, I went off-road today.
Really enjoyed it other than getting lost at one point.
Some good hill work on the downs too. I'll doing more of this.
Not sure vast quantities of cider topped up with Prosecco last night was the ideal preparation though...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434295531.500694.jpg

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hugely inspired by the ultra lunatics I decided to run 10% of their efforts by completing 10 miles my longest run since the Brighton Marathon 2 months ago. Good conditions with a few small hills I felt ok throughout.

1 7:31.2 1.00 7:31
2 7:35.5 1.00 7:36
3 7:17.1 1.00 7:17
4 7:21.5 1.00 7:22
5 7:01.8 1.00 7:02
6 7:13.2 1.00 7:13
7 7:12.7 1.00 7:13
8 7:14.7 1.00 7:15
9 7:06.5 1.00 7:07
10 6:48.0 1.00 6:48

1:12:22 7:14 avr pace.

Running 10% gives you an indication of how tough it must be to attempt to run 100 miles. Dazzer you've almost run 3 marathons back to back and Pembury almost 4. I salute you both.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
It's all been said above but my congratulations to [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] and [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] as well. Fantastic effort.

I settled for a bit cycling on the Downslink today which made a nice change from running.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Hugely inspired by the ultra lunatics I decided to run 10% of their efforts by completing 10 miles my longest run since the Brighton Marathon 2 months ago. Good conditions with a few small hills I felt ok throughout.

1 7:31.2 1.00 7:31
2 7:35.5 1.00 7:36
3 7:17.1 1.00 7:17
4 7:21.5 1.00 7:22
5 7:01.8 1.00 7:02
6 7:13.2 1.00 7:13
7 7:12.7 1.00 7:13
8 7:14.7 1.00 7:15
9 7:06.5 1.00 7:07
10 6:48.0 1.00 6:48

1:12:22 7:14 avr pace.

Running 10% gives you an indication of how tough it must be to attempt to run 100 miles. Dazzer you've almost run 3 marathons back to back and Pembury almost 4. I salute you both.

Cheers Big nuts!..Great pace. Good work.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
After a 10k PB last week I have just taken advantage of the still, cloudy conditions to set a 10 mile PB of 1.37.54. Again nowhere near the standards of most on here but the first time I've gone sub 1.40 and gives me hope I can get well under 1.30 in the Bright10 in October.

An added "Bonus" was running on the front just as the naked bike ride had finished. Bonus that is if you like dodging elderly Dutch nudists queuing for a wee.

huge chunk to take off in one hit, any pb is a bonus but train Clever And much is possible

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
huge chunk to take off in one hit, any pb is a bonus but train Clever And much is possible

Cheers. Bright10 is in October so I should have plenty of cracks at getting towards 90 mins before then. I've got 10k down from 58 to 52 mins since March as well. I think starting this late and from a position of total lack of fitness is going to allow me to break PBs as I improve aerobic fitness naturally. What's going to need work is when the times start going up again.

Luckily this seems a very supportive group and I'm sure will have plenty of good advice when the inevitable happens!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cheers. Bright10 is in October so I should have plenty of cracks at getting towards 90 mins before then. I've got 10k down from 58 to 52 mins since March as well. I think starting this late and from a position of total lack of fitness is going to allow me to break PBs as I improve aerobic fitness naturally. What's going to need work is when the times start going up again.

Luckily this seems a very supportive group and I'm sure will have plenty of good advice when the inevitable happens!

You'll crack it easily I reckon. Strava says my 10m PB is 1:27:15 and that was achieved as part of a 13.1-miler so I wasn't running to exhaustion at the 10m mark. Flicking back quickly, at the beginning of May my PB stood at over 1:33.

As you say - when you start from our kind of low base, seemingly impressive improvements can be made.

Like you, I'm not looking forward to when that stops!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here