Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I realise in a thread filled with marathon heroes and running gurus this is a LITTLE pathetic....but I've been signed up to do the Brighton half next Feb.

I've never run more than 5k and even then I didn't like it and found it difficult. Breathing wasn't so much the issue. It was just LEG tiredness and sheer BOREDOM. I'm a lanky so and so and felt tightness in my legs quite early.

Anyway, whats the best way to train for this? Is it simply running my 3 mile comfort zone at the moment and then add a mile a month? or is that far to softly softly?

Again, apologies for the pathetic nature of my post. I can't even claim this is an "amazing challenge" as I'm not "overweight" or "old"..... So really I'm just a wimp.

You are being very harsh on yourself. 99% of the population have never run a half marathon.

I would build up gently. Commit yourself to a few 10k's and perhaps a 10 mile race too. Aim to get out 2-3 times a week, and enjoy it!

Consider a race schedule, sites such as runnersworld.co.uk have them for the half marathon, and the full too!

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I realise in a thread filled with marathon heroes and running gurus this is a LITTLE pathetic....but I've been signed up to do the Brighton half next Feb.

I've never run more than 5k and even then I didn't like it and found it difficult. Breathing wasn't so much the issue. It was just LEG tiredness and sheer BOREDOM. I'm a lanky so and so and felt tightness in my legs quite early.

Anyway, whats the best way to train for this? Is it simply running my 3 mile comfort zone at the moment and then add a mile a month? or is that far to softly softly?

Again, apologies for the pathetic nature of my post. I can't even claim this is an "amazing challenge" as I'm not "overweight" or "old"..... So really I'm just a wimp.

Hardly pathetic. I don't think anyone on here started off by running marathons or sub 20 minute 5ks. For what it's worth I started off alternating 2 minutes slow running with a minute walking because I wasn't fit enough do do any more. Next Feb is simply ages away to be able to train for a half. If you google 'half marathon training programmes' you'll find loads on the web, they are all pretty similar and can be based around your target time (I wouldn't set one yet, see how you get on in the next few months). Depending on what you can do, aim to run 3-4 times a week - a steady run, a tempo (harder) run and/or an interval session, an easy run and a longer run (which should get progressively longer but have a look at the programmes).

I'd also join a club if you can - you'll get loads of advice and cheap coaching that way, and most cater for all abilities from beginners upwards. If you go back through this thread you'll see plenty of advice too. I'm not qualified but happy to help out with any questions as you get into it (you will - then the boredom goes......then you get obsessed.....etc). Finally don't neglect working on your core strength and flexibility - this will help with leg strength and any tightness.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Urgent advice! Just seen some Brooks Ghost 7 in my size in charity shop - look brand new. I usually use some £60 Nike jobbys which are good but wondering whether I should get these too..?! Thoughts pls?

I've seen they're about £60-£80 new - not sure if I need 2 pairs of running shoes but seems too good a opportunity to not get them?!

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

I only did my first half marathon a little over a year ago, and frankly the thought of doing it scared me. I found running to a training plan helped a great deal, they are usually about 10-12 weeks of training, so you have plenty of time before February to start one, just get used to being on your feet in the meantime by increasing the frequency and duration of your runs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Urgent advice! Just seen some Brooks Ghost 7 in my size in charity shop - look brand new. I usually use some £60 Nike jobbys which are good but wondering whether I should get these too..?! Thoughts!?

They're neutral (ie not designed for pronators or supinators or those that need particular support) so if your current things are similar no reason why they wouldn't be OK. I've got 3 or 4 pairs of Brooks shoes (not Ghosts but similar models) and they are v good quality running shoes. Try 'em on.....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
They're neutral (ie not designed for pronators or supinators or those that need particular support) so if your current things are similar no reason why they wouldn't be OK. I've got 3 or 4 pairs of Brooks shoes (not Ghosts but similar models) and they are v good quality running shoes. Try 'em on.....

Cheers Dazzer I will do. Yeh I've never had someone look at my style to tell me what support I need etc...

Advice greatly received mate, I'll go try them on!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cheers Dazzer I will do. Yeh I've never had someone look at my style to tell me what support I need etc...

Advice greatly received mate, I'll go try them on!

Also good to rotate shoes if you have more than one pair - helps avoid injury, and allows the cushioning to recover better (apparently)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Superb deal for that money, my wife is running in Ghosts which she loves.

Thanks mate tried them on and felt lovely - reckon they'd been worn once but literally looked brand new and gonna have 2 running shoes now - will give them a go tonight!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I don't think anyone considers themselves a hero for running a marathon. I certainly don't – it's just 'what I do'.

As has been said - few people get to HM distance, partly because of the issue of boredom that you identify - maybe a running mate, or music would help you out here?

I built up from nothing to Marathon between August and April. I simply used the approach of going a little bit further every time I went out, until I was running half marathon distance every weekend by the early Spring. Mix it up with a bit of speed work, hills, different routes for variety, parkruns, etc, and you should be fine.

Depending on where you're based, it's probably a good idea to run parts of the course, so it's familiar to you on the day. You get a feel for how far you'll have to go, which will help, as will the crowd, who really come out in force.

Plenty of races along the way, too, if you're interested. Brighton 10-miler (covering a lot of the same ground, as far as I can see) is in October, which might be something you want to aim for? Get through that, and you'll be laughing come February.

You're certainly not pathetic or a wimp. Stop thinking like that and get out on the road!

Good luck :thumbsup:

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Don't be silly.. your post isn't pathetic.

As for advice, i dunno really everyone dose things differently.. I would start off running and walking within your comfort zone and adding to it steadily. I guess your body/legs need to gain strength by just being on them wether thats running or walking. there's plenty of training plans out there for Half marathons and you've got lenty of time to build up some mileage, but above all, try to enjoy it.

Oh and persistance, lots of persistance and consistancy in your running/training.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Was in exactly the same boat and don't think you're pathetic in any way. Get out regularly - running's addictive - set goals for yourself and do what's right for you. I need races. I've entered the Worthing 10k, the NSC 5k Park Run Challenge, The Color Run, The Bright10, Brighton Half and Brighton Marathon. But if you read [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] 's posts he gets motivated just by weight loss and self improvement.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You can pace me then. Would like a PB [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

That's taken the pressure off! You follow me round and then go for Gold whilst your pacer slowly runs backwards.

Just did 10x1/4 mile intervals as part of training for June 13th. There is something about a session that ends with you feeling slightly sick. The wind forecast is perfect South South West. It pushes you strongly up the hill and coming down your sheltered from it by the Park being in a dip.
I will wear the green and black Albion Away shirt and be hanging around from 8:45 on the main path near the finish line, which is near the cafe, near the toilets and near the marshals having a pre race meeting.About 70m North of the Goldstone. I am sure the usual suspects from NSC will be in the vicinity to introduce themselves to an Ultra.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's taken the pressure off! You follow me round and then go for Gold whilst your pacer slowly runs backwards.

Just did 10x1/4 mile intervals as part of training for June 13th. There is something about a session that ends with you feeling slightly sick. The wind forecast is perfect South South West. It pushes you strongly up the hill and coming down your sheltered from it by the Park being in a dip.
I will wear the green and black Albion Away shirt and be hanging around from 8:45 on the main path near the finish line, which is near the cafe, near the toilets and near the marshals having a pre race meeting.About 70m North of the Goldstone. I am sure the usual suspects from NSC will be in the vicinity to introduce themselves to an Ultra.

Hah ! No sprint finish at my age/fitness level. I don't get warmed up until after 2 hours.......

Will look out for you. Not done HP before but sure I'll find my way. Do I have to wear colours then ? Might try to drag junior along as well.....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I invented a new work out this morning called the "Oh Shit, It's Raining Again, Sprint Home Into The Wind" workout. I'll admit it needs a snappier title.

Having the day off work but being busy for most of it I set off just after 9.30 for a 40 minute easy paced recovery run (having run 10 miles on Sunday then played football and rounders for most of Monday afternoon). It was sunny but windy when I set off at a nice 9,45/mile clip. Two things then happened. Firstly, after just after a mile, my running shoe lace came undone for the first time ever and I stopped to tie up. As I did I was hit by the biggest drop of rain I've seen since I briefly worked in India. I decided to abandon the recovery run and sprint home as fast as I could, forgetting that as soon as I turned the corner I was in to the teeth of a Force 8.

Runkeeper tells me I did the next five minutes at under 8,30 pace including a 7.44 but I still got home soaking wet. I spent so long finding my keys while sheltering in the porch I forgot to turn off both my Garmin and Runkeeper, ruining my time.

This probably won't make Runners World but I'm hoping it'll help me overtake Grandma Thomas on the 13th.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I awoke in a Bristol Hotel, rudely awoken by my own stupidly early alarm also with a recovery run in mind.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it wasn't raining so set out on a 5-miler. Around 1 mile in the heavens opened as a hurricane blew in. I got drowned.

The second indignity was being overtaken by a woman as I rounded the SS Great Britain, although her abating arse immediately cheered me and my pace quickened markedly. I stalked/kept up for a good 5 minutes before I had to admit defeat.

Starting the week's running on a Wednesday isn't the best approach so I'll aim for 6 tomorrow, a very easy paced 5 or 6 on Saturday before a 10-13, depending on how I feel, on Sunday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I awoke in a Bristol Hotel, rudely awoken by my own stupidly early alarm also with a recovery run in mind.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it wasn't raining so set out on a 5-miler. Around 1 mile in the heavens opened as a hurricane blew in. I got drowned.

The second indignity was being overtaken by a woman as I rounded the SS Great Britain, although her abating arse immediately cheered me and my pace quickened markedly. I stalked/kept up for a good 5 minutes before I had to admit defeat.

Starting the week's running on a Wednesday isn't the best approach so I'll aim for 6 tomorrow, a very easy paced 5 or 6 on Saturday before a 10-13, depending on how I feel, on Sunday.

'Following lycra' is a perfectly legitimate tactic, and one of the joys of running. Has got me through many a dark spell in marathons [emoji3][emoji3]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here