Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
That is a pretty nice article, and I too belatedly have joined the 5k in 8 weeks programme generation. Sick of being sedentary all day and this little step into the fitness world gets me outside to try and feel a little better. I am ashamed to say that I my initial forays into have confirmed that this is something I need to do! Enjoying the first week so far and like the author of the article am aiming to not quit. Well that's what i'm saying to myself right now anyway.

I am full of awe and admiration for all those taking part in the marathon this weekend. It really is a tremendous feat, no matter what time you do. I salute you all.

Good for you -- as a relative latecomer myself to the world of running (started last year, in my late 50s), I can confirm that it's transformative, as well as a bit addictive, but also quite good fun. I can recommend signing up for a parkrun on saturday mornings, if there's one near you - they tend to have a really good, supportive and motivational atmosphere, and cater for all standards - from nutters who get round in 15m to walk/jog types who take three times as long as that to finish.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Good for you -- as a relative latecomer myself to the world of running (started last year, in my late 50s), I can confirm that it's transformative, as well as a bit addictive, but also quite good fun. I can recommend signing up for a parkrun on saturday mornings, if there's one near you - they tend to have a really good, supportive and motivational atmosphere, and cater for all standards - from nutters who get round in 15m to walk/jog types who take three times as long as that to finish.

Thanks for that. I hope I can stick at it. For the time being I am feeling quite highly motivated.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can recommend signing up for a parkrun on saturday mornings, if there's one near you - they tend to have a really good, supportive and motivational atmosphere, and cater for all standards - from nutters who get round in 15m to walk/jog types who take three times as long as that to finish.

I find it completely bizarre that Worthing doesn't have a Park Run. I would get involved in setting it up myself but my own Saturday morning availability would be very patchy.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I find it completely bizarre that Worthing doesn't have a Park Run. I would get involved in setting it up myself but my own Saturday morning availability would be very patchy.

That's probably half the problem, people do have to be motivated to want to run it and set it up - once its going they kind of take a life of their own. The one in Guildford only started a couple of years ago, but now its regularly getting about 250 participants.

It is nice having that regular event there that you can just drop in to when you have the time, it gives you something to look forward to.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
That's all well and good but running lots KILLS YOU.

Not true, even the study author said this isn't the conclusion. 2 deaths in 32 serious runners and no indication of what killed them, another load of "wrong end of the stick" journalism.

Here's a nice little morale booster for Sunday (just ignore the final paragraph)

How long distance running makes men attractive
http://dailym.ai/1NUgEam#i-836cfc3dad411d52

More like - more testosterone = driven, type A personality, selfish so likes to compete and train hard to win rather than get round!

This one is definitely true though!

So did my last 7-miler round Preston Park tonight - blimey many of the barriers are already out and the scaffolding built for the timer clock at the start. Woah that was a jolt that it's bloody close now :ohmy: :ohmy:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just collected my race pack for the BM10k. Had a good walk round the many exhibitions, chatted to a lovely bloke in the queue and ended up signing up as an early bird for the full thing next year. Well, it was cheap.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just collected my race pack for the BM10k. Had a good walk round the many exhibitions, chatted to a lovely bloke in the queue and ended up signing up as an early bird for the full thing next year. Well, it was cheap.

I was very focused. Full concentration. Up the stairs grabbed bag and number and legged it to the Exit. So far I am not doing it next year but I did do the same last year..............

Congratulations on your entry for next year (one can't turn down an early bird going cheep) and good luck on Sunday. I love the day but I have a feeling that if I enter my consecutive 4th for 2016, I may find myself wifeless.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
It's a pain having to go to Brighton to pick up the number. I'm not sure why they can't post it like most others manage to do (other than to hope you spend some dosh in their exhibition of course).

billpotter72

Mar 24, 2015
It's a pain having to go to Brighton to pick up the number. I'm not sure why they can't post it like most others manage to do (other than to hope you spend some dosh in their exhibition of course).

It's all to do with saving the carbon foot print apparently.

Pain in the bum for people from the surrounding areas who only want to travel into Brighton on the Sunday though.

Saying that I have just been down there to grab my number for the full marathon and walked out 37 quid lighter ???

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
It's all to do with saving the carbon foot print apparently.

Pain in the bum for people from the surrounding areas who only want to travel into Brighton on the Sunday though.

Saying that I have just been down there to grab my number for the full marathon and walked out 37 quid lighter ???

Not sure how me having to drive down from Wales a day early and then drive to Brighton tomorrow just to pick up my number is reducing the carbon footprint!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Good stuff......works out up to £30 cheaper than leaving it till much later, be daft not to :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here