Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Oh dear, that doesn't look good at all (A knocky-knee if I ever saw one, if you don't mind me saying so...).
And what's the strange green cable coming out of your foot?

Someone must have planted that. :lol:It's my brothers knee. We both had problems on Sunday. Mine is on the mend but he is going to need a miracle to beat his 3:28 from last year and is flying over from California for our third Brighton marathon. Obviously got his training wrong....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Quick question - all info and suggestions v helpful - [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] may be the man with the knowledge on this...

I have a £100 voucher for somewhere. Was going to update my 10yr old ipod nano purely to get an ipod with built in Nike+ so I don't have to lug my iphone around in my pocket (i dont ever look at splits while running)... But it seems as the nano has no GPS, it isn't that accurate to use Nike+ on - is there even an ipod with GPS out there? I'm not going to buy one if I can't use Nike+ on it easily and accurately...

Thanks in advance runners!

Go for a garmin device........you'll be hooked once you start looking at the data on garmin connect and strava....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Go for a garmin device........you'll be hooked once you start looking at the data on garmin connect and strava....

I don't have the cash to splash out c£200 on a forerunner, or similar, right now, but what will it give me over strava beyond, presumably, more granular and more easily accessible in-run updates?

I'd probably choose to have more regular pace updates than every half mile as I'm not very good at judging how fast/slow I'm going, but I think I'm getting better at that. I also don't do any interval type stuff which, again, I assume is a function of these devices but I imagine there are numerous apps for that should I want to.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I don't have the cash to splash out c£200 on a forerunner, or similar, right now, but what will it give me over strava beyond, presumably, more granular and more easily accessible in-run updates?

I'd probably choose to have more regular pace updates than every half mile as I'm not very good at judging how fast/slow I'm going, but I think I'm getting better at that. I also don't do any interval type stuff which, again, I assume is a function of these devices but I imagine there are numerous apps for that should I want to.

I ordered a Garmin 610 for £138 on Amazon earlier. Down from RRP of £259.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

A garmin watch will give you real-time pace (like a speedometer)....readouts every km or mile showing time taken (with a beep to alert you if you want), elevation wtc. Can't imagine carrying a phone and looking at that as often as I do my watch. You can get a Garmin 10 (perfectly ok for most events) for under £80

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A garmin watch will give you real-time pace (like a speedometer)....readouts every km or mile showing time taken (with a beep to alert you if you want), elevation wtc. Can't imagine carrying a phone and looking at that as often as I do my watch. You can get a Garmin 10 (perfectly ok for most events) for under £80

My phone is strapped to my arm and every half mile (or every half km, I imagine if I'd selected metric measures) I get:

- total distance
- total time
- current pace

through my earphones I never look at my phone whilst running.

I'm not bothered about elevation.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My phone is strapped to my arm and every half mile (or every half km, I imagine if I'd selected metric measures) I get:

- total distance
- total time
- current pace

Sounds good enough then......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just ordered a Garmin 10 from Amazon for £74.99.

More killer intervals today, 4 x 6 minutes at threshold with 2 minute jog recovery in a 35 min run. Really, really hard work but strangely enjoyable. Managed a whole minute at 7.12 before slipping with each stride.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

- total distance
- total time
- current pace

I started off with a phone strapped to my arm, I never looked at it while running because it was awkward to do so. I check my watch all the time, but it probably wont offer the audible features (or music) that a watch phone does.

In general the Garmin watches do tend to have more accurate GPS than phones. When I look at the maps on Strava those recorded my phone look more erratic with points jumping about when you know someone has run in a straight line which can lead to big distance over-reading e.g. a 5k run record as nearer 10k in more extreme cases.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just ordered a Garmin 10 from Amazon for £74.99.

More killer intervals today, 4 x 6 minutes at threshold with 2 minute jog recovery in a 35 min run. Really, really hard work but strangely enjoyable. Managed a whole minute at 7.12 before slipping with each stride.

Great session, exactly the kind of thing that'll improve your speed. Bit addictive isn't it ?

Just two one mile intervals for me today (plus long warm up) as on a taper now - last 'quality' session before race on 4th. Odd mix of nervous excitement and quietly wetting myself.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I started off with a phone strapped to my arm, I never looked at it while running because it was awkward to do so. I check my watch all the time, but it probably wont offer the audible features (or music) that a watch phone does.

In general the Garmin watches do tend to have more accurate GPS than phones. When I look at the maps on Strava those recorded my phone look more erratic with points jumping about when you know someone has run in a straight line which can lead to big distance over-reading e.g. a 5k run record as nearer 10k in more extreme cases.
I suspected as much. My phone tracked runs are a little wiggly in places and I think I might be getting lulled into a false sense of security by the Strava estimated 5k times!

How to explain to the wife where my sparkly new running watch came from, though!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Great session, exactly the kind of thing that'll improve your speed. Bit addictive isn't it ?

Just two one mile intervals for me today (plus long warm up) as on a taper now - last 'quality' session before race on 4th. Odd mix of nervous excitement and quietly wetting myself.

VERY addictive! Good luck with your race.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

- total distance
- total time
- current pace

I've got the Garmin 620 and HRM. It is great fun, but if truth be told doesn't offer a huge amount more than the iPhone and an app or two. What does worry me is that the two devices record significantly differing distances over the same course.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My Garmin Forerunner has never deviated from any timing chipped event for around 5 years And has been 100% on distance.

I may use a phone app if it could knock time off..........

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What times does BigNuts hit? I'm up for challenging him for his crown!

I went sub 20 for the first time about 3 weeks ago in 19:47 I would be hoping to threaten sub 19 by June if I get through the Brighton Marathon unscathed.

Missed my final long run Monday due to illness I'm now in Cancun Mexico so the plan is to run 20 miles or for 2 and a half hours (which ever comes first) around the resort at 5am Saturday morning.

Done 4 miles on the treadmill yesterday and that pushes my boredom threshold. I spend more time fiddling with the speed then anything else. I couldn't run 20 on a machine far too dull.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I went sub 20 for the first time about 3 weeks ago in 19:47 I would be hoping to threaten sub 19 by June if I get through the Brighton Marathon unscathed.

Missed my final long run Monday due to illness I'm now in Cancun Mexico so the plan is to run 20 miles or for 2 and a half hours (which ever comes first) around the resort at 5am Saturday morning.

Done 4 miles on the treadmill yesterday and that pushes my boredom threshold. I spend more time fiddling with the speed then anything else. I couldn't run 20 on a machine far too dull.

Sub 19 that is fighting talk. Somewhere I haven't been since 1995 and never will again.

Be aware of humidity even at 5am it will be around 80%. In Kerala in January an hours running in the mornings nearly killed me it was above 90% humidity but then I am not superhuman.........I suppose extra fluid intake will be required. Enjoy Mexico.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Thats it - final long run completed this morning, West Hove to Worthing and back 35km/21.75 miles in 3:12. Very happy with that, knee a bit painful but hopefully can get through that on the day.
Typical Sussex day for running - set off in cold, wind and rain, came home in sunshine under blue skies - I guess we need to be prepared for anything on the 12th.

Let the tapering commence!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
My Garmin Forerunner has never deviated from any timing chipped event for around 5 years And has been 100% on distance.

I may use a phone app if it could knock time off..........

I used to use a phone app but had two problems with it

1) It regularly lost the GPS signal - especially running off road or through woods, making accurate timing difficult. I used Runmeter on an Iphone 5.
2) While the announcments are useful, at most events they don't allow earphones its much easier to glance at a watch than a phone while running - virtually impossible if strapped to your arm.

Very happy with my Garmin 610.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here