Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Stat Man

Tickle my fancy, fat man
Mar 3, 2009
Brighton
did 16 miles today through the shithole that is shoreham. heard about these gel things where can they be bought and are they worth it?

I've just ordered some Clif Shot Bloks (chew electrolyte sweets rather than gel) as that is what they will be giving out during the Brighton marathon, so figure they must be good.

I've not used anything like this before so hoping it won't give me more tummy problems! I ordered a pack for £2.20 from ebay with free P&P, but they also do them on the link Edna posted, but they charge for P&P.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'll dig out my pre-race (ie morning of) water drinking plan when I get a chance. This coupled with downing a mouthful or two at each and every water station should see you right.

thanks - i drank quite a bit of water a few hours before the start but then had to hang around Preston Park for about 90 minutes before the run started. Didn't take another drink until Ovingdean (6/7 miles) which was probably a bit too late given the heat.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I've just ordered some Clif Shot Bloks (chew electrolyte sweets rather than gel) as that is what they will be giving out during the Brighton marathon, so figure they must be good.

try them on training runs first, you might need to eat them with water cos they can be a bit sticky. We only got a couple of squares at around the 17 mile mark

Stat Man

Tickle my fancy, fat man
Mar 3, 2009
Brighton
try them on training runs first, you might need to eat them with water cos they can be a bit sticky. We only got a couple of squares at around the 17 mile mark

Cheers for the tip. I am looking forward to an extra kick on my next long run. I managed 13 miles for the first time last night & felt very wrong towards the end & even worse as soon as I stopped.

If I like them I will take some with me on the marathon as I'll struggle to get to 17 miles on my own, especially if it's a hot day. (I'm hoping for cloud & a gentle breeze, but nothing that might scare the crowds off)

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
what about eating on the day because i notice i get very hungry when running because you cant eat because of the possibilty of getting a stitch. i presume you'd have to get up especially early on the marathon day and eat something with lots of carbs?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm thinking of joining that Brighton marathon group on Sunday. What do I need to do? Where do I need to go? Looking for a plodding 18 miler.

Bizarre, someone just banged on my door asking if I wanted to buy some fish.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I've been doing the British Military Fitness marathon training on Sunday Morning. We're up to 13 miles now but it's for all abililities. Sets off at 8am from Hove every Sunday. The last run included going to the top of Wilson Avenue which was a killer. Nice to know there are no hills like that on the Marathon route.

I've found I can't really eat anything before I run. I have big lunch the day before and a light meal the night before a morning big run. Haven't tried and gels yet but am going to try Go Gels as I hear they are good and can be taken without water if need be.

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
I'm thinking of joining that Brighton marathon group on Sunday. What do I need to do? Where do I need to go? Looking for a plodding 18 miler.

Bizarre, someone just banged on my door asking if I wanted to buy some fish.

information and map here Latest Run | live.brightonmarathon.co.uk

I've not used anything like this before so hoping it won't give me more tummy problems! I ordered a pack for £2.20 from ebay with free P&P, but they also do them on the link Edna posted, but they charge for P&P.

cheers i will look into buying some although their is a runnign shop on queens road near the club shop which i might take a look at

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
what about eating on the day because i notice i get very hungry when running because you cant eat because of the possibilty of getting a stitch. i presume you'd have to get up especially early on the marathon day and eat something with lots of carbs?

Yep. I normally eat c3 hours before a long race and then gels on way round. My breakfast would normally be a large bowl of porridge or muesli. The carbing up needs to be done in the 3-4 days before the race, not just the traditional pasta the night before.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
The longest I have run so far is 13 miles, and during the run I needed a pee so had to stop, I have even had to do this on 9-10 mile runs.

Any advice?

I am always conscious I drink enough before running and I always have to pee on my long runs, I put it down to my weak bladder, i think its a cross some of us have to bear.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Yep. I normally eat c3 hours before a long race and then gels on way round. My breakfast would normally be a large bowl of porridge or muesli. The carbing up needs to be done in the 3-4 days before the race, not just the traditional pasta the night before.

Ditto. I did read recently that if you carbo load too much the night before it tends to make legs feel heavy & lethargic so I would follow the chimneys advice.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
16 mile run tomorrow for the Intermediate schedule. It is an early start, buy a paper on the way back, then back to bed for a good study of the League One table. I will stop to buy a drink halfway round and some chocolate or something.

iPod loaded with the Albion Roar, Witness, Football Weekly Extra, and some Witness ............. hoping the body stands up to it ........

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Haven't you got to be registered for these!?

I don't know, tomorrow will be my first run with this group. No one has mentioned you need to be registered and I'm presuming from this it's not required.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here