Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
By way of coincidence, I went out for a run this morning and decided to try a slightly different route, which included the first portion on The Gallops which run behind where I live. It's probably the first time I've run for running's sake, on grass, since I was at school. Other than the undulations, I didn't notice much difference...

...until I reached the road and returned to tarmac. Blimey - the difference in impact and jarring was significant. I think I'm going to make an effort to include more off-road whenever I can now.

Don't think people realise just how much difference it makes.....really is quite remarkable. Ironically, I decided to do a road run this morning, not super-long and very slow paced but did 19 miles. Definitely noticed the impact more and had a slightly sore knee going downhill after about 15m. Hit 500 miles for the year this morning and that's the first time I have felt anything there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As anyone who also frequents the restaurant thread will know I went out for dinner last night and my resolve broke a little. Two glasses of wine, one with each course. I now feel terrible! Clearly my system had just de-toxed. So it will be a sober Six Nations decider with friends today and my "dress rehearsal" tomorrow - up at 6.30 for a slice of brown toast and water and off at 8.30 precisely to run my 10k course as fast as I can. Also have a Garmin GPS watch on order.

Thanks to [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and others for these suggestions. This thread has been incredibly helpful :thumbsup:

You're making great progress.......keep it going. Once you have your Garmin you'll be a running statto :)

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
20 miles done in 2:29. Absolutely shattered but that's my longest run done now before the marathon. Knee cap hurt from about 14 miles which was strange as never had any pain in that area before. Hopefully 4 or 5 days rest should do the trick.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Out with the old NBs, and in with the new Brooks.

648e0eb6f20f921463baf5920148b071.jpg

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
33.5km, just under 21 miles for me this morning in 3:11. Not as comfortable as last week but got there and allowing for a slow park run accompanying my son keeps me on target for sub 4 hrs. With all the warnings on here about road surface running, kept on the grass in Hove and Preston parks so hopefully reduced a bit of impact. Glad that's over, one more long run to go.
Can't believe with nearly 500 at Hove this morning that someone won't have found your car key and handed it in [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION].

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Well, that is my second half marathon in a fortnight completed. Flat and fast Dorney Lake in 1:32:33, the only thing that slowed me down was the stiff headwind when running by the lake itself - but other than that I feel pretty pleased with myself.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
HTML:
h

GTS15s. I just found GTS14s in TKmaxx my size and width for £39. I run in Brooks and Asics so happy to add a 6th pair to the current collection.

Bargain! Is that tk maxx Brighton? I run in Gts 14s...But will be getting some Brooks Racers for shorter runs as i find the Gts,s are quite heavy.. The Brooks ASR,s are great for light trails and and for all over the downs

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bargain! Is that tk maxx Brighton? I run in Gts 14s...But will be getting some Brooks Racers for shorter runs as i find the Gts,s are quite heavy.. The Brooks ASR,s are great for light trails and and for all over the downs

Worthing but it is very unlikely to get good running trainers. 3 years back I got a pair of new Balance and have seen and bought only these two pairs in my size.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
33.5km, just under 21 miles for me this morning in 3:11. Not as comfortable as last week but got there and allowing for a slow park run accompanying my son keeps me on target for sub 4 hrs. With all the warnings on here about road surface running, kept on the grass in Hove and Preston parks so hopefully reduced a bit of impact. Glad that's over, one more long run to go.
Can't believe with nearly 500 at Hove this morning that someone won't have found your car key and handed it in [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION].

You're right. Someone has put it up on the Parkrun Facebook page. Luckily I lost it today and not in Hastings tomorrow.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've just taken my Brooks off (well an hour ago). New 10k PB in the first dress rehearsal, 58.03 with pretty even splits. Seven minutes quicker than 2 weeks ago so clearly those killer interval sessions are doing the trick.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've bitten off a bit more than I could chew this morning. Inspired by new shoes I went out without much of an aim and ended up running over 10 miles for only the second time ever, with the last being in July 2013 according to Nike+ which I used to use (although I did also have two runs also just short of 10 miles in the same month).

It was my legs that made it difficult, but it was my third consecutive day of running and I've not done that before in my current stint. My run took me along Worthing seafront until the end of East Worthing. As I turned inland my legs were demanding I stop or, at the very least, walk but I kept running until the end. I reckoned I was going to reach home at about 9.8 miles so I even ran past my turning to make sure I got to 10! The last mile of all my runs is uphill with a very steep end to my front door - that was hell today!

Strava reckons I did my fastest 5k (27:37) and 10k (57:31) along the route, which surprises me. Looking at Nike+ it reckons my fastest 5k ever was 26:37 in March 2009 so that could be in sight soon.

The final numbers were 10.1 miles in 1:40:33 - first mile of 8:34 and then getting slower with each and every mile!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The final numbers were 10.1 miles in 1:40:33 - first mile of 8:34 and then getting slower with each and every mile!

That's fairly common though, you are putting in plenty of miles on a regular basis, and it will build up a standard speed per mile. Running does become quite addictive, and is a great way to clear the mind too.

I'm supposed to be running the Wilmslow Half this morning, which started two minutes ago, but a calf tear, followed by a stupid 'practice' run yesterday to see if I had recovered has set me back, so will be handing out jelly babies instead, as the route goes past my door.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here