Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cracking 9.5m or so along the SDW from Clayton Windmills this morning. Snow on the ground up there and a biting NW wind. Well chuffed to knock out 9 min miles, about 30s per mile quicker than usual on that route for me.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cracking 9.5m or so along the SDW from Clayton Windmills this morning. Snow on the ground up there and a biting NW wind. Well chuffed to knock out 9 min miles, about 30s per mile quicker than usual on that route for me.

Bloody freezing. I ran from the dogging car park near the Dyke to Shoreham cement works. 10 miles. cold. 10" miles. Up to 15 next Sunday. No snow about though but some up Snakey Hill on drive up.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A senior moment had made me think the meeting on the 7th was yesterday. Thanks for explaining why I only saw 7:18 yesterday.

Glad you have not all given up. I had a great bullying run yesterday at Parkrun. 4k steady and speeding up to a 5min 30 second mile pace finish. I felt I had won rather than come 198th. Time 25:30ish. If anyone wants a similar time next week with a sprint finish from the top of the hill, I'm up for it. Marathon training plan does not allow more effort than that on a Saturday.
I was there - started just behind you and was trying to take it really easy but finished in 23.17 or something.

Today was the first day this year I haven't run. Set myself a goal of 10 mins/1 mile every day and I managed it. Was quite tricky fitting it in at times, but a good lesson in 'Anything is possible if you put your mind to it'!

Well up for next week. Still got one eye on a 1:40 Brighton HM, but a cold/cough has messed up training a bit...

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
First weekend without running for 6 months and after a week of just cycling, planning on getting back back on it next week. 22 miles work and back tomorrow and wed. Lunch time hove park 5k tues and thurs. 4/5 hill reps of woodland drive fri. Hopefully a longish run over to chanctonbury ring on sunday, but well see, as ive got a mates birthday on Saturday!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
First weekend without running for 6 months and after a week of just cycling, planning on getting back back on it next week. 22 miles work and back tomorrow and wed. Lunch time hove park 5k tues and thurs. 4/5 hill reps of woodland drive fri. Hopefully a longish run over to chanctonbury ring on sunday, but well see, as ive got a mates birthday on Saturday!

Looks like a good week's schedule, including the Birthday :)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just got back from a late night 14 miles. Strange running after a full roast dinner which I'm not sure I fully digested.

My first two miles were the slowest at 8's or just over. Finished at 1 hour 46 minutes and 30 seconds so 7:37 average pace which isn't too bad.

If I'm at Park Run Saturday I may well be hungover as forgot it's the opening game of the six nations the night before.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
ANY SPARE Brighton Half places available? I can run as a woman and will pay full price. otherwise will do the Eastbourne Half the week after. Anyone here done that? it looks good and you can enter on the day for £5 more.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
8 miles in the snow at 6am.....bloody lovely although my heel is rather sore.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Here's a question I'm hoping a few of you will have an opinion on. Have now started a proper training plan (10 min jog followed by 3 x 3min sprint intervals broken up by 2 mins jogging / walking today) and had a look for general health and fitness / training advice on the bm10k site. They have a very good link to this on EATING.

http://www.runnersmedicalresource.com/what_to_eat.html

However the 10k starts before the main marathon and I have to be at Preston Park at 7.30 for an 8.30 off. Eating 3 to 4 hours before that sees me having breakfast at 5.30 latest. Would you do that or just have a snack on rising augmented by water / gatorade / snack stations during the run? I can eat most things at most times of day which is, frankly, why I needed to start running but brekkie at 5.30 is not something I'm sure I could digest.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Here's a question I'm hoping a few of you will have an opinion on. Have now started a proper training plan (10 min jog followed by 3 x 3min sprint intervals broken up by 2 mins jogging / walking today) and had a look for general health and fitness / training advice on the bm10k site. They have a very good link to this on EATING.

http://www.runnersmedicalresource.com/what_to_eat.html

However the 10k starts before the main marathon and I have to be at Preston Park at 7.30 for an 8.30 off. Eating 3 to 4 hours before that sees me having breakfast at 5.30 latest. Would you do that or just have a snack on rising augmented by water / gatorade / snack stations during the run? I can eat most things at most times of day which is, frankly, why I needed to start running but brekkie at 5.30 is not something I'm sure I could digest.
You shouldn't have to fuel up much for a 10k so 2 hours should be OK. Try it out before race day though, just to check.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
You shouldn't have to fuel up much for a 10k so 2 hours should be OK. Try it out before race day though, just to check.

I second what Indurain says. I guess this applies to whatever distance your doing but making sure your hydrated well a week or few days before a race and eat all the right foods. Adding more carbs to your diet in the week before (can't remember the carb loading formula), but don't overdo the carb thing, as i found to my cost at the Brighton Marathon years ago. Bunged up.

Depends what you normally have for breakfast, but in the morning of a race i would keep it really simple about 2/3hrs before.. small toast with sugar free peanut butter and a coffee or tea and that would be it. Just something to kick start the morning. Whatever you eat/drink the night and days before should be what matters.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Sorry one other thing.. if your race starts at 8.30.. do some of your training runs at this time, It wont be so much of a shock to your body. Sip water through out the morning.. personally i would stay clear of gatorade, unless you're really, really flagging at the end of the run. If you've fuelled correctly the days before, you shouldn't need it.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Sorry one other thing.. if your race starts at 8.30.. do some of your training runs at this time, It wont be so much of a shock to your body. Sip water through out the morning.. personally i would stay clear of gatorade, unless you're really, really flagging at the end of the run. If you've fuelled correctly the days before, you shouldn't need it.
I'd also stop drinking an hour before, you'll be plenty hydrated and won't be desperate for a piss on the start line!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Cheers guys. I'll start moving my weekend runs earlier. Doing that in the week is impossible with work but doing it on Sundays fits in better :thumbsup:. Appreciate the diet / breakfast advice too. What do I eat for breakfast? Boiled egg and wholemeal toast or fruit and yoghurt now. Used to be bacon sarnies whenever I could. Not every day but often enough. No doubt been a contributor to the improvement in my training!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here