Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think I was 34th or 35th can't remember for certain. Was looking good for sub 20 until the last section of uphills around 2.2 miles so my aim for next time is to sustain my pace better in the final mile.

1st mile 6:10 2nd mile 6:31 3rd mile 6:37

Good wheels that, great stuff.

Had a bit of a debate with a clubmate over 5k running in the week, seems as though we all blast off and try to hang on, but get steadily slower :)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good wheels that, great stuff.

Had a bit of a debate with a clubmate over 5k running in the week, seems as though we all blast off and try to hang on, but get steadily slower :)

I think with the Hove course the first mile is predominantly down hill so my first mile is always considerably quicker than miles 2 & 3.

Personally I find it more difficult to start slightly slower and speed up, I find I'm better starting quick then grit my teeth until the finish line.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The 7th should be good for me, I think...

Well done all at Hove Park today - a record turnout, apparently.

A cold seafront beckons tomorrow though. At least there doesn't look like there's much wind.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
12 miles in a shade under 1:30 yesterday. Interestingly I didn't look at the Garmin at all and just ran 'naturally' and ended up running 10 seconds a mile quicker than my previous attempt over that distance. I also changed up my music playlist which seemed to make a big difference. Hopefully if I can repeat that speed I'll be able to get under the 1:40 mark for the half which is my target.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
12 miles in a shade under 1:30 yesterday. Interestingly I didn't look at the Garmin at all and just ran 'naturally' and ended up running 10 seconds a mile quicker than my previous attempt over that distance. I also changed up my music playlist which seemed to make a big difference. Hopefully if I can repeat that speed I'll be able to get under the 1:40 mark for the half which is my target.

I would consider re-evaluating your half finishing time as you will smash 1:40 running like that with still over a month to go. Sounds like 1:35 is well within your grasp.

13 miles for me today, my longest run for 9 months.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
I would consider re-evaluating your half finishing time as you will smash 1:40 running like that with still over a month to go. Sounds like 1:35 is well within your grasp.

13 miles for me today, my longest run for 9 months.

Perhaps that may be a good idea, although before yesterday I really didn't think I had it in me to run that quick for a lengthy period of time, I really was genuinely shocked (and knackered!) when I looked down at my watch. I'd hate to get too far ahead of myself and end up blowing up on the half.

Regarding an earlier post of yours on ParkRun, I too find it hard to speed up in the race preferring to 'speed off' and then grit my teeth trying to hold on for as long as possible. Although can see the benefits of doing it the other way round. Look forward to hearing whether you break that 20 minute barrier sometime soon.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I agree with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - sub 1:35 in a race situation should be doable if it's a good day

16 miles for me this morning in 2:30 along the Downslink. No mojo, still jetlagged from a business trip last week (got back yesterday) and highest mileage week for 18 months so glad to have ground it out. Hard miles are good miles.........

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Wow, great running from everyone this weekend. BigNuts you've really upped your game - whats the secret?!!!!

I did Hove Park in just under 23 mins -my coach is telling me to hold back and target 25 but I was helping a friend of my son's along to a pb which was fun and he was really pleased.
Covered a toughish 10 miles today from Hove up to the Foredown Tower, along a very muddy stretch of the Downs and back through Southwick and along the sea front. 1hr 37, not quick but lost a lot of time slipsliding through the mud.

Yes to the 7th Feb for next NSC meet up although I my be incorporating Park Run into my long run that weekend as something else on, on Sunday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Shoreham-by-Sea to Brighton Marina and back yesterday - 16 miles in 2:22. Loving the lack of wind.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Wow, great running from everyone this weekend. BigNuts you've really upped your game - whats the secret?!!!!

I did Hove Park in just under 23 mins -my coach is telling me to hold back and target 25 but I was helping a friend of my son's along to a pb which was fun and he was really pleased.
Covered a toughish 10 miles today from Hove up to the Foredown Tower, along a very muddy stretch of the Downs and back through Southwick and along the sea front. 1hr 37, not quick but lost a lot of time slipsliding through the mud.

Yes to the 7th Feb for next NSC meet up although I my be incorporating Park Run into my long run that weekend as something else on, on Sunday.

I've been pleased with my running over the past 5 months as times across all distances have improved. In terms of the secret I'm not sure but I've done the following things which may have helped:-

- Birth of my first son in August - less sleep but far less booze so wild drinking nights seem a dim and distant memory.
- I started upper body and core work when I was injured April-July but carried it on so feel stronger all-round.
- I've not plodded my long runs. I've set myself challenging targets to stop myself coasting long runs e.g. 8 miles in an hour, 12 miles in 90 mins I'll start pushing towards 16 miles in 2 hours next.
- Look to complete at least one run which incorporates hills per week.
- Most importantly I've been injury free for 5 months which has really helped me keep a consistent 2/3 runs per week.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I'm supposed to be doing that as well. Hoping I can finish in time to get to the game before kickoff. Touch and go I think.........will be my longest run by 10 miles for over a year......

I normally run better on race day once nerves have settled and you get into your normal running pattern.. The week or two leading up to a big run I always think I couldve done more in training etc etc. You'll be fine.

I've only done two long runs since Beachy Head in October, lots of hill reps, speedwork etc so im just treating as long traing run for the ndw 50 in may. I'm not really looking forward to the relative flatness of the course, but the bottle of Dark Star will hopefully keep me focused:drink:

ive knocked the Arsenal game in the head, as it might be a bit tight..but I guess its great motivation to get a pb!

In your opinion, trail or road trainers? ..im tempted with road with gaiters

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I normally run better on race day once nerves have settled and you get into your normal running pattern.. The week or two leading up to a big run I always think I couldve done more in training etc etc. You'll be fine.

I've only done two long runs since Beachy Head in October, lots of hill reps, speedwork etc so im just treating as long traing run for the ndw 50 in may. I'm not really looking forward to the relative flatness of the course, but the bottle of Dark Star will hopefully keep me focused:drink:

ive knocked the Arsenal game in the head, as it might be a bit tight..but I guess its great motivation to get a pb!

In your opinion, trail or road trainers? ..im tempted with road with gaiters

16m Sunday was grim but hoping I'll be ok - although it's my first decent race event for over a year I've done 30-odd marathons and ultras so at least know what to expect (death shuffle, cramp, dry heaving etc :).

Zero PB chance on this race - it'll be as muddy as hell in parts, definitely not a road shoe day for me. I ran part if the Downslink on Sunday and parts of that were pretty muddy too (the northern end of the route). The river will be worse. Jay (one of the organisers) described the course as 'broken' a couple of weeks ago.

I am hoping for about 5:30 if it's not too bad mud-wise as will be taking it relatively easy - it's only really a training run. That gives me at least an hour to sort myself and get to the Amex, have booked a Bridge car park space to make it easier - welcome to join me in the car if you can get a ticket this late.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
16m Sunday was grim but hoping I'll be ok - although it's my first decent race event for over a year I've done 30-odd marathons and ultras so at least know what to expect (death shuffle, cramp, dry heaving etc :).

Zero PB chance on this race - it'll be as muddy as hell in parts, definitely not a road shoe day for me. I ran part if the Downslink on Sunday and parts of that were pretty muddy too (the northern end of the route). The river will be worse. Jay (one of the organisers) described the course as 'broken' a couple of weeks ago.

I am hoping for about 5:30 if it's not too bad mud-wise as will be taking it relatively easy - it's only really a training run. That gives me at least an hour to sort myself and get to the Amex, have booked a Bridge car park space to make it easier - welcome to join me in the car if you can get a ticket this late.

Haha Broken! Was hoping for 4:30 but I think I'll have to revise that.. cheers for the offer, but I think all im gonna want to do is put my feet up!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Haha Broken! Was hoping for 4:30 but I think I'll have to revise that.. cheers for the offer, but I think all im gonna want to do is put my feet up!

Don't know what you'd normally do for a marathon, but last year only the top 6 were under 4.30. One of my clubmates won it in 3.45, but that is getting on for an hour slower than his marathon PB. There are a couple of recent course pics on the website.

http://sussextrailevents.com/dark-star-river-marathon/

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Another week rolls by ... 30 mins of hill reps today, Gentle Hove Park tomorrow and then 18km on Sunday planned. Weather looks great for running.

Good luck with the DarkStar - those photos on the link are great. Let us know how you get on.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Don't know what you'd normally do for a marathon, but last year only the top 6 were under 4.30. One of my clubmates won it in 3.45, but that is getting on for an hour slower than his marathon PB. There are a couple of recent course pics on the website.

http://sussextrailevents.com/dark-star-river-marathon/

Yeah was basing it on last years Beachy time of 4:04.. I guess if i don't slip into the Adur, and i'm ahead of the 6hrs cut off, im a happy man. As Simgull says its going to be good weather on sunday so looking forward to it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah was basing it on last years Beachy time of 4:04.. I guess if i don't slip into the Adur, and i'm ahead of the 6hrs cut off, im a happy man. As Simgull says its going to be good weather on sunday so looking forward to it.

That's a great time for Beachy......looks like the weather will be perfect. I'm hoping for a hell of a frost so it'll at least be solid for a while !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here