Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Ran the Kings Lynn 10k this morning in a time of 19min 40sec. Pleased with the result 7th overall. Icy cold, tired & a new course change resulting in 15 extra turns!!. Considering I set my PB in the spring there 18.26 in perfect conditions and that I am just starting my return to racing it's one I will take far more positives from than negatives.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Ran the Kings Lynn 10k this morning in a time of 19min 40sec. Pleased with the result 7th overall. Icy cold, tired & a new course change resulting in 15 extra turns!!. Considering I set my PB in the spring there 18.26 in perfect conditions and that I am just starting my return to racing it's one I will take far more positives from than negatives.

Blimey how fast were the other 6?! Would have been a new WR too!

Well done but,I presume you mean 5k, unless a world record has been broken!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Blimey how fast were the other 6?! Would have been a new WR too!

Well done but,I presume you mean 5k, unless a world record has been broken!

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/kingslynn/results/latestresults/

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Ran a 13 miler yesterday evening to relieve some Albion-related stress, did it in 1:42 which was a little slower than i'd have hoped but was fairly pleased considering i'd previously only ever run 8 miles.

On an off topic - has anyone got any experience of attempting to keep up weight training whilst also marathon training. Time wise I am finding it hard to fit both in and also finding it hard to time leg sessions correctly so i'm not too achey for my runs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Anyone on for the Downland Devil on Sunday? Nine miles x-country near Steyning. Weather looks promising.
I think entries are still open if you fancy it.

Ran this today. 1hour 22 approx which was 2 minutes faster than my best previous effort. Was a bit breezy in places and not ideal underfoot so very pleased with that time :thumbsup:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Ran this today. 1hour 22 approx which was 2 minutes faster than my best previous effort. Was a bit breezy in places and not ideal underfoot so very pleased with that time :thumbsup:

Nice one - I came in at about 1:16 which I was pleased with although was not quite sure what to expect. Glad the rain held off but that last hill up into the wind was tough!!

Winner managed about 58 mins which is pretty phenomenal.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
First Peacehaven mince pie today, great race, brilliantly organised although I found conditions very treacherous under foot. Times myself at 1 hr 14 mins 37 secs which I'm pleased with beating in mind I don't own trail shoes.

Saw a flyer for the Longman 10 in Eastbourne early Jan which looks appealing.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade

Nice one - I came in at about 1:16 which I was pleased with although was not quite sure what to expect. Glad the rain held off but that last hill up into the wind was tough!!

Winner managed about 58 mins which is pretty phenomenal.

Did this too. 01:22:53 according to the email from Worthing Striders so must have finished near Pondicherry. First cross country I've done for years and off the back of a night shift so I'm happy with that. That last hill was a bitch mind! £5 for a bacon bap, cake, mince pie and unlimited tea was a boon too!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ran a 13 miler yesterday evening to relieve some Albion-related stress, did it in 1:42 which was a little slower than i'd have hoped but was fairly pleased considering i'd previously only ever run 8 miles.

On an off topic - has anyone got any experience of attempting to keep up weight training whilst also marathon training. Time wise I am finding it hard to fit both in and also finding it hard to time leg sessions correctly so i'm not too achey for my runs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if it helps, but discussed this with my old personal trainer a while back. He liked to combine a short, very high intensity running session with strength building - basically 30 mins or so of treadmill madness (short sharp intervals) and then weights etc. He was also very hot on taking a rest day a week. I don't use him any more but have hooked up with a running coach instead, interestingly his views are similar so must be something in it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Long time no post in thread. I find this time of year terrible to keep up exercise. There are loads of family birthdays immediately followed by Christmas and there always seems to be something else to do. It was time to incentivize myself with new shoes.....

Can thoroughly, thoroughly recommend "Run" on Blatchington Road in Hove. The guy was very friendly and full of advice and let me do test runs round the block (if I'd known the last bit I might not have had a huge Japanese lunch just before arriving, ahem). Though clearly able to pick me for the rank beginner I am was also full of encouragement. Even when I was playing football and cricket all the time I was a fairly big guy but at no time did he say "please don't break my shoes". I am going to enter the BM10K in Aoril I think to stop myself slacking again. Assuming if I'm running 5k easily if slowly then 10k by April is easily doable if I train regularly?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Long time no post in thread. I find this time of year terrible to keep up exercise. There are loads of family birthdays immediately followed by Christmas and there always seems to be something else to do. It was time to incentivize myself with new shoes.....

Can thoroughly, thoroughly recommend "Run" on Blatchington Road in Hove. The guy was very friendly and full of advice and let me do test runs round the block (if I'd known the last bit I might not have had a huge Japanese lunch just before arriving, ahem). Though clearly able to pick me for the rank beginner I am was also full of encouragement. Even when I was playing football and cricket all the time I was a fairly big guy but at no time did he say "please don't break my shoes". I am going to enter the BM10K in Aoril I think to stop myself slacking again. Assuming if I'm running 5k easily if slowly then 10k by April is easily doable if I train regularly?

Strangely, I've managed 95 miles so far this month - most since Jan/Feb Marathon training. It included a run on Sunday night (I can probably count the number of PM runs I've done on two hands) up Snakey Hill, down Dyke Road and back along to Shoreham-by-Sea into a headwind along the seafront. Hopefully it won't tail off too much over the festive period.

Happy running, everyone.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
My half marathon training plan for today said "30 minutes at target pace" which forced me into crystalising what that actual was - so I decided on 7 minute miles as that'll bring me home well under my 1 hour 42 pb.

So I set off on my 4.8 mile run with a sub 34 minute time in mind, and got home in 33:06 - which is 6:53.75 minute miles, job done, and I'm pleased and surprised by how quick I was.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
My half marathon training plan for today said "30 minutes at target pace" which forced me into crystalising what that actual was - so I decided on 7 minute miles as that'll bring me home well under my 1 hour 42 pb.

So I set off on my 4.8 mile run with a sub 34 minute time in mind, and got home in 33:06 - which is 6:53.75 minute miles, job done, and I'm pleased and surprised by how quick I was.

7 minute miles would be a great time, I'm targeting sub 1 hour 35 so 7:15 minute miles required which will be tough but achievable. Looking to run a half dress rehearsal soon and target sub 1 hour 40 which would break my pb by almost 4 minutes.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk

That's a great pace to be running at sub 92min for HM. Good luck with your endeavours!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here