Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I ran a PB in the Barnes Green half marathon this morning. Big turnout and virtually perfect running conditions. I am however indebted to the 1:45 pacer who I was on my own with for the last three miles. He dragged me through the tough parts with constant encouragement. It was like having my own personal coach!!. It did require a massive effort from myself though but happy to break 1:45.
Fantastic! I love Barns Green Half and always say I must get back there some time. This year, I found out too late, so I had to settle watching Bobkin Jnr score a sub-five minute hatrick!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I ran a PB in the Barnes Green half marathon this morning. Big turnout and virtually perfect running conditions. I am however indebted to the 1:45 pacer who I was on my own with for the last three miles. He dragged me through the tough parts with constant encouragement. It was like having my own personal coach!!. It did require a massive effort from myself though but happy to break 1:45.

Fabulous! I love the Barns Green Half.

I went and watched Kipchoge, and a bunch of friends, this morning. I’ve been in and out of running for a while now, Mojo and a bursitis issue which I can manage but it just won’t go away. But, I feel quite inspired by today, and envious of my friends, so I have just bought some new shoes and new kit and I’m going to get back into it. Let’s see how long it lasts!

Fingers crossed for you, though I'm glad to know I'm not alone in needing a gee-up.

Fantastic! I love Barns Green Half and always say I must get back there some time. This year, I found out too late, so I had to settle watching Bobkin Jnr score a sub-five minute hatrick!

I missed Junior Orange scoring a hatrick last weekend, and today's game got cancelled as the opponents couldn't raise a team.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Zero mojo here. Still struggling with AT so can’t do a long time on my feet. Doing 20-30 mpw, much of it on the tready as seems to irritate it a bit less and doing more gym work which is probably a good thing. Beginning to think there might not be any more marathons/ultras but we’ll see. Should probably focus on training for a 5/10k or half, but can’t be arsed.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Anyone looking for a decent 10k event this time next year should consider the Eastbourne Tempo race. Very well organised, friendly and a decent standard without being too intimidating. The course is good, although the 2 laps format is not great when you realise you have to run the long hill from the pier twice. But a good, value for money event, if not quite PB territory for most.
Sub 44 for me and the first old git.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Very excited to be doing the Bournemouth Half next Sunday. My first race since a 10k in T Wells back in 2014 (and that was my first race ever). Hopeful of breaking 2 hours and then getting a time on the NSC board! I'm not a natural runner, but I've loved the training.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sick note here. Wrecked my back.
Hoping to get sufficiently recovered for the Worthing 10k next Sunday.

Hope you'll recover in time to run and benefit from the lay off. Allotment duties to blame?
I'm finding it hard to run as dog attacks are a nuisance, despite their friendliness. Feeling good though and on little training will target Constance Parkrkrun or Konstanz in Germany Saturday week.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Back from Chester Marathon which is a brilliantly run event, but it felt like running Barns Green HM x2 in terms of hills.

I was fairly confident going in and perhaps ran the first half a bit too quick in 1:30:16. Paid for it second half and found things tough from about mile 16. Got through it and a new Pb of 3:06:42 if the table can be updated please.

Next marathon Brighton which unfortunately is a ‘shit show’ in terms of organisation, but has great support and is very convenient.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Back from Chester Marathon which is a brilliantly run event, but it felt like running Barns Green HM x2 in terms of hills.

I was fairly confident going in and perhaps ran the first half a bit too quick in 1:30:16. Paid for it second half and found things tough from about mile 16. Got through it and a new Pb of 3:06:42 if the table can be updated please.

Next marathon Brighton which unfortunately is a ‘shit show’ in terms of organisation, but has great support and is very convenient.
Fantastic running, big man. Well done on your PB!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

:bowdown:

Fantastic - well done!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Excellent work sticking at it. Glad you still haven't plateaud as one ignoramus suggested on here. (Apologies!).

I'll update the table in mid October.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Good work!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Good morning all. A slightly delayed report from the Berlin Marathon:

I don't think I've ever felt so unprepared for a marathon. I had a ridiculously busy week on a work trip in Prague leading up to it. I avoided having more than a couple of beers over the week but didn't have the usual restful time I would have liked.

I got to Berlin on the Friday and finally started to get into race mode. Tracksmith organised a shakeout run which started right by my hotel on the Saturday morning, which was a lot of fun. Then the expo was a bit more chaotic than I expected. A huge queue to get my bib and a fight to try and find the Adidas jacket in my size, which I failed to find. As it turns out, I didn't need to worry about being unprepared. It was probably a blessing in disguise not having the time to worry about the race.

The walk to the start line is really cool. Through all the trees in the Tiergarten until you come to the road. I was in start group B, about 30 metres behind Kipchoge et al with the same start time. It was great seeing him getting introduced right in front of us. Obviously that was the last I saw of him!

As for the race itself, I did my usual thing of hitting the pace right from the start. My goal was to get under 3 hours again, and I started a little behind the 3h pacer, so spent the first couple of kms catching the group up. It's annoying running close to the pacer and I was feeling good, so I kicked on and ended up putting some time in the bank. I crossed halfway at just over 1:26 which was definitely faster than I was expecting and gave me a couple of minutes in the bank to go for a PB, so that became the new goal.

It felt really hard from about 30k, probably harder than I've ever experienced in a marathon. My pace dropped a bit towards the end but I just kept trying to hang on to runners around me. It helps knowing there aren't going to be any hills too. I crossed the line with a couple of guys from Fulham who I'd been running with for the last 2k. It turned out one guy was pacing the other to a PB.

My final chip time: 2:55:38. A 55 second PB. I'm really happy with that, as I honestly didn't think I was quite in PB shape.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Hope you'll recover in time to run and benefit from the lay off. Allotment duties to blame?
I'm finding it hard to run as dog attacks are a nuisance, despite their friendliness. Feeling good though and on little training will target Constance Parkrkrun or Konstanz in Germany Saturday week.
Almost spot on. I did some silly exercise with a bloody great kettlebell and then was on allotment duty. The combo was too much. But I then made it worse by running on Saturday. Now, it's in some sort of prolonged spasm and I'm hitting the painkillers. Very much doubt if I'll be able to run Sunday if only because I can't tie my laces!
Sorry to hear about the dogs. I won't swap your rabies for my backache.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good morning all. A slightly delayed report from the Berlin Marathon:

I don't think I've ever felt so unprepared for a marathon. I had a ridiculously busy week on a work trip in Prague leading up to it. I avoided having more than a couple of beers over the week but didn't have the usual restful time I would have liked.

I got to Berlin on the Friday and finally started to get into race mode. Tracksmith organised a shakeout run which started right by my hotel on the Saturday morning, which was a lot of fun. Then the expo was a bit more chaotic than I expected. A huge queue to get my bib and a fight to try and find the Adidas jacket in my size, which I failed to find. As it turns out, I didn't need to worry about being unprepared. It was probably a blessing in disguise not having the time to worry about the race.

The walk to the start line is really cool. Through all the trees in the Tiergarten until you come to the road. I was in start group B, about 30 metres behind Kipchoge et al with the same start time. It was great seeing him getting introduced right in front of us. Obviously that was the last I saw of him!

As for the race itself, I did my usual thing of hitting the pace right from the start. My goal was to get under 3 hours again, and I started a little behind the 3h pacer, so spent the first couple of kms catching the group up. It's annoying running close to the pacer and I was feeling good, so I kicked on and ended up putting some time in the bank. I crossed halfway at just over 1:26 which was definitely faster than I was expecting and gave me a couple of minutes in the bank to go for a PB, so that became the new goal.

It felt really hard from about 30k, probably harder than I've ever experienced in a marathon. My pace dropped a bit towards the end but I just kept trying to hang on to runners around me. It helps knowing there aren't going to be any hills too. I crossed the line with a couple of guys from Fulham who I'd been running with for the last 2k. It turned out one guy was pacing the other to a PB.

My final chip time: 2:55:38. A 55 second PB. I'm really happy with that, as I honestly didn't think I was quite in PB shape.

Absolutely marvellous – well done Badger. I am in awe of you guys who pace marathons to perfection because I've never managed it. I can also only dream of a sub-3 time. I think even sub-4 is beyond me these days, but you never know...

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great run [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] pushing ahead early was a brave move and it certainly paid off. You deserve that after your Covid cancellations.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Great run [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] pushing ahead early was a brave move and it certainly paid off. You deserve that after your Covid cancellations.

Thank you. Kipchoge went off fast too. I learn from the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here