Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
one for the table.
Just done LA parkrun in 24.22, 67.6%, wava.

Fist time in the 24s since August.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Roll call for Manchester Marathon tomorrow.

I'll be there in wave Red B running my first marathon. Anyone else there?

Hoping for sub 3, not sure how I will get on as not convinced that the volume of training was enough and lost a few key sessions to COVID.

Looking like perfect running conditions currently, I always run better in the cold.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Woolacombe Dunes parkrun on my birthday today. What a stunning course - beautiful run along the beach. Apparently the second hardest course in the country (after Great Yarmouth) including the ‘Dune of Doom’ in the second half!! Happy with 11th place and an age category win.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Woolacombe Dunes parkrun on my birthday today. What a stunning course - beautiful run along the beach. Apparently the second hardest course in the country (after Great Yarmouth) including the ‘Dune of Doom’ in the second half!! Happy with 11th place and an age category win.

Happy Birthday, and nice result!

I saw that Great Yarmouth was cancelled today as a result of the new policy on dogs. Think it was the only one.

Great Yarmouth North Beach parkrun: New dog policy = no core team volunteers this week

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] one for the table, while I’m queuing for my beer at the Amex. 23:14 at Preston Park, which is 72.88% AG. Nowt to shout about but better than recent performances. Marginal gains and all that …

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Happy birthday and well done. Did that parkrun last September - lovely route, but punishing with the sand and hills!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Hoping for sub 3, not sure how I will get on as not convinced that the volume of training was enough and lost a few key sessions to COVID.

Looking like perfect running conditions currently, I always run better in the cold.

I’ll be there - Red A for me. Good luck with sub 3 tomorrow. That’s out of my reach this time around, but hoping to be in or around 3:10.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

A massive good luck for the sub-3 attempt. We're in Orange B - I'm running with two other first-timers - so taking it a bit easier!

Conditions look great.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good running over the weekend for many on the thread.

My own major achievement was to get through 2 5ks without my troublesome hamstring complaining:

Saturday, Great Salterns parkrun in Portsmouth. Nice little course, if a bit bumpy and lumpy: 22:07/77.24%. Category win and 4th best AG.

Sunday, Bournemouth, 21.17 (tbc). Probably first old git. Very fast, flat course.

Did a very slow and painful 22 miles a few days ago to prepare for next Sunday in Brighton. Ambitions scaled down a lot alas from a year ago when I was hoping to get near 4 hours, just hoping to finish now and maybe get inside a very ancient PB by a few minutes if i don't panic

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Looks like I'm the first of the Manchester crew to check in - but I'm almost certainly the slowest!

Crossed the line in 4:16 with one of my debutant mates - the other bagged a 3:58. Really enjoyable - although my legs don't like road marathons anymore - great organisation, route and support. Not sure I'd rush make, but nice to do a different race in a new place.

Saw [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] out there looking strong. Well done to them and the rest of the NSC contingent!

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Well Manchester Marathon went rather well, managed 2:55:02, absolutely perfect running conditions this morning.

Very impressive, I think that makes you only the 2nd sub-3 marathon on the NSC table!

My neighbour did it in 3:56, which is pretty impressive given he's in the V70 category. He made the good for age qualifying time for London by over an hour.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well Manchester Marathon went rather well, managed 2:55:02, absolutely perfect running conditions this morning.

Excellent time. I'll add that to the coveted table with the other updates once [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] gets over his hangover and posts his time.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Excellent time. I'll add that to the coveted table with the other updates once [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] gets over his hangover and posts his time.

Will be hair of the dog for me in 2 hours. Got a gig in London tonight, so meeting mates at 2pm for another piss up!

Could do without it after a heavy 12:30am session last night.

Running was good too yesterday. 3:10:23 so a nice PB in the Alphafly’s.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Whilst waiting I'll post about the greatest Parkrun team I have ever met (apart from [MENTION=88]Bob![/MENTION] of course). It was on the freezing banks of the Seine in Rouen on Saturday. Everyone came up and introduced themselves and told us about "The Ice Doctor" who helps put on the run. He is a real Doctor and in the Guiness Book of Records for his 1 mile swims in 2 degree seas in the Arctic and doing Ice Triathlons.

The run started and I settled in behind the Ice Doctor knowing from the previous results I'm a minute behind him on current form and to let him go. At half way I was comfortably second but was given a surprise at mile 2 when the Irishman, an ultra runner, popped up alongside me. We had a nice battle for the last mile and I needed full effort to see him off by 10 seconds.

The downside was a 22:57 time that means I'm going backwards to a month ago and have lost my ability to kick to the finish. Just need to stick at the training I guess.

So I highly recommend Rouen https://www.parkrun.fr/rouen/ and for [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] there is a great campervan stopover at the Marina nearby with facilities where I met the Irishman and his wife.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here