Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Gaffer, thanks for updating the table. I wonder how many others will post 5k times this year? The better weather might well entice a few. I was up on the Downs yesterday behind Portslade. The wind was still astonishingly strong. Not sure how anyone could run in that; I certainly couldn't - it was hard enough just walking. Full respect to anyone (you know who you are) who runs in those conditions, especially some of those insane (to me) distances.

What does your training/treatment week look like? Club night tonight for me.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Gaffer, thanks for updating the table. I wonder how many others will post 5k times this year? The better weather might well entice a few. I was up on the Downs yesterday behind Portslade. The wind was still astonishingly strong. Not sure how anyone could run in that; I certainly couldn't - it was hard enough just walking. Full respect to anyone (you know who you are) who runs in those conditions, especially some of those insane (to me) distances.

Ooh, I've got one following my first parkrun in a while. I clocked 22:52 if you wouldn't mind adding me in [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]?

TIA

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ooh, I've got one following my first parkrun in a while. I clocked 22:52 if you wouldn't mind adding me in [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]?

TIA

I've edited your time into the previous table. Cheers.I've just realised I haven't visited Hove Park Parkrun for 2 years!

Well my atrophied body is starting to feel some energy when running. On Sunday afternoon I ran 2 miles into the 40-50mph wind and then enjoyed an easy 8 minute mile pace return flight. At the moment I'm taking it easy and enjoying improving week on week. Think I'll try East Brighton again Saturday as I have my pacers there.

Entries opened this week for the Phoenix 10K on Wednesday evening July 13th. A great night for NSC's finest and a chance to catch up in the Brunswick afterwards. Only 400 places so enter TODAY.
https://brightonphoenix.org.uk/our-events/phoenix-10k/

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've edited your time into the previous table. Cheers.I've just realised I haven't visited Hove Park Parkrun for 2 years!

Cheers Gaffer. I had a similarly sad realisation when the email came through saying it was my 280th parkrun. That means I've managed just 30 in nearly four years! I know we had covid and stuff, but that really is a bit poor. I blame the Bobkin Jnrs and their extra-curricular activities!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Cheers Gaffer. I had a similarly sad realisation when the email came through saying it was my 280th parkrun. That means I've managed just 30 in nearly four years! I know we had covid and stuff, but that really is a bit poor. I blame the Bobkin Jnrs and their extra-curricular activities!

Ha I used to look on in envy at how many parkruns you’d done! Now it will be my 300th on Saturday. I am planning on doing the prom (as long as they clear the pebbles) - if anyone wants to come and say hello!

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
After wearing Adidas Ultra Boost and Solar Boost for the past 8 years I’ve decided to try a pair of Hoka Clifton 8.

They won’t arrive until Thursday so in the meantime I’m just wondering if they live up to the hype?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ha I used to look on in envy at how many parkruns you’d done! Now it will be my 300th on Saturday. I am planning on doing the prom (as long as they clear the pebbles) - if anyone wants to come and say hello!

I know! How the mighty have fallen and all that... I was delighted to get to 250, but it did become a bit of an obsession. Life, kids, work and everything else just gets in the way these days.

I'll be with you in spirit on Saturday along the prom. I mean, I wouldn't go anyway (nothing to do with you, I just can't stand the prom run), but I'll be with Bobkin Jnr in Steyning where he's got a football match.

You got a target/PB in mind to celebrate with?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
After wearing Adidas Ultra Boost and Solar Boost for the past 8 years I’ve decided to try a pair of Hoka Clifton 8.

They won’t arrive until Thursday so in the meantime I’m just wondering if they live up to the hype?

Pretty sure [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] is your man when it comes to Hokas...

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
New to running (bar one 10k about 5 years ago) who has committed to a half marathon in October.

Advice please - how the hell do you manage to force yourself out of the front door when it is cold and lashing down? Assuming you can give me a compelling answer, how do you deal with th wet - or do you just accept it?

I've pulled the duvet back over my head for the first time this morning and need the advice of the Running Elders on NSC please.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
New to running (bar one 10k about 5 years ago) who has committed to a half marathon in October.

Advice please - how the hell do you manage to force yourself out of the front door when it is cold and lashing down? Assuming you can give me a compelling answer, how do you deal with th wet - or do you just accept it?

I've pulled the duvet back over my head for the first time this morning and need the advice of the Running Elders on NSC please.

Missing the odd session can be very enjoyable and no problem going along with that.
However, motivational goals are needed for me to get out in this. At the moment I'm working on getting my first 70% AG at Parkrun for 5 months, being ready to beat my new neighbour if he suddenly turns up at Parkrun and to get near my image of the back of GNTs head.
When venturing out in this I overdress and get hot and wet from sweat rather than cold and wet from rain.
Enjoy!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I rarely use anything else on the road…….extremely comfortable……

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Another newbie question. Should you get properly fitted for trainers, or is it ok to buy online? There seems to be conflicting advice here.

Personally I’d go and get assessed (not just fit, but gait analysis as well) at least once (take an existing pair of trainers with you so they can see ear and tear)……after you’ve been running a while you’ll know what works best but not initially. Any decent running shoe shop will do this.

BTW I personally don’t believe in ‘get a size bigger to allow your feet to swell’ - better to have properly fitting shoes. My personal preference is a wider fit to allow my toes to splay (as they are designed to do) but there’s no need for a longer shoe than you normally use IMO.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Another newbie question. Should you get properly fitted for trainers, or is it ok to buy online? There seems to be conflicting advice here.

I had planned to come into town to get properly fitted but ended up buying my Clifton 8’s online direct from Hoka.

Hoka provide a link to a site where you can measure your feet. It basically involves placing your feet on an a4 piece of paper while using the phone’s camera.

The site said I would be best with a size 10 and half but when the trainers arrived they were too small. Too short and too narrow in the mid foot.

So tomorrow I’m going to try out a few pairs in an actual shop.

I’ve returned the Clifton’s and now will go with whatever feels best.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I had planned to come into town to get properly fitted but ended up buying my Clifton 8’s online direct from Hoka.

Hoka provide a link to a site where you can measure your feet. It basically involves placing your feet on an a4 piece of paper while using the phone’s camera.

The site said I would be best with a size 10 and half but when the trainers arrived they were too small. Too short and too narrow in the mid foot.

So tomorrow I’m going to try out a few pairs in an actual shop.

I’ve returned the Clifton’s and now will go with whatever feels best.

That’s unfortunate; I really like Clifton 8’s for long or easy runs.

If you can get the right size, I’d recommend them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here