Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Morning all.

Quick question about sweating. Obviously it's been a bit chillier this week and the gloves have come out. However, what's the deal with being freezing cold but still sweating? I've never experienced it before in the winter, as far as I can remember. And I'm more still plodding than sprinting, so not exactly giving the body a reason to really get a sweat on.

So is it an age thing? Possible health concern? Anyone else have this kind of thing? ???

I sweat and always have done even when walking. Many have seen steam coming off me after a winter run. I spoke to the Doctor as I also sweat at night. Said no problem as I always have done. However, if it was a new thing she would be concerned.
I'm sure you're fine but keep a minor eye on the situation. It was a bit warmer today than the last few days, if that helps.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm in for the Mince Pie already, but if you have no takers for the entry by next week, then let me know. I know a fair few who missed out by being too late to enter.

OK. I'm just checking that I can transfer the name as I'm club registered.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I sweat and always have done even when walking. Many have seen steam coming off me after a winter run. I spoke to the Doctor as I also sweat at night. Said no problem as I always have done. However, if it was a new thing she would be concerned.
I'm sure you're fine but keep a minor eye on the situation. It was a bit warmer today than the last few days, if that helps.

Cheers Gaffer. It was more the other morning when my phone was reading 2° outside and I still had a bit of a sweat on. Physically I'm fine otherwise – apart from a very slight twinge-y knee. Lovely eight miles up to Bramber and back and there was next to no grief from it – it's more of an issue when I'm walking up stairs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was certainly sweating on my early morning 8 miler - sweating out yesterday's beer.

These 5.30 kick offs would be ruining me if injury hadn't already :lol:

CoolTed

Nov 2, 2015
Morning all.

Quick question about sweating. Obviously it's been a bit chillier this week and the gloves have come out. However, what's the deal with being freezing cold but still sweating? I've never experienced it before in the winter, as far as I can remember. And I'm more still plodding than sprinting, so not exactly giving the body a reason to really get a sweat on.

So is it an age thing? Possible health concern? Anyone else have this kind of thing? ???

I sweat much less now that I'm older. That might just be because I've slowed down, but it could be that I now make sure I am properly warmed up before doing anything strenuous. Without a good warm up I used to sweat profusely, even in January with just one layer on. I suspect that, without a proper warm up, the body may overreact with its natural responses. (But I'm not a health expert!)

You ask "possible health concern?". Do you wear a HRM? I've always found HR to be a very good indicator that something isn't right.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I sweat much less now that I'm older. That might just be because I've slowed down, but it could be that I now make sure I am properly warmed up before doing anything strenuous. Without a good warm up I used to sweat profusely, even in January with just one layer on. I suspect that, without a proper warm up, the body may overreact with its natural responses. (But I'm not a health expert!)

You ask "possible health concern?". Do you wear a HRM? I've always found HR to be a very good indicator that something isn't right.

Ah, that might have something to do with it. Although I've never warmed up or down in nearly 20 years of running, so not sure why it would be an issue.

Got a HRM on my Garmin watch. Just checked the stats and there's nothing untoward there. It's most probably nothing, but thought it was best to check and maybe find an explanation...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ah, that might have something to do with it. Although I've never warmed up or down in nearly 20 years of running, so not sure why it would be an issue.

Got a HRM on my Garmin watch. Just checked the stats and there's nothing untoward there. It's most probably nothing, but thought it was best to check and maybe find an explanation...

I sweat profusely just doing a warm up!
Monitor progress. Might be part of your response to having had Covid?
Good luck.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

That's me too - my body just runs hot - always has done regardless of my weight and level of fitness.

I do keep thinking about seeing how slow I'd need to run in order to not sweat at all, but I'm really sure there is no such pace.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I sweat profusely just doing a warm up!
Monitor progress. Might be part of your response to having had Covid?
Good luck.

That could be it too. Will keep an eye on it and see what happens when it gets REALLY cold.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Are there any orienteers on here, or do I need to start another thread? :lol:
Have been persuaded by my daughter's friend's father to sign up for a race next weekend.
Had a go at it when I was about 12 and loved it - now 26 years later (and into running, unlike then) I'm going to give it a go.

As many tips as possible welcome!

https://www.aire.org.uk/events/esholt-middle-distance-2021-11-14

I note that I will need trousers (I ALWAYS run in shorts) - any recommendations (ideally <£20!)

Last edited:

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Are there any orienteers on here, or do I need to start another thread? :lol:
Have been persuaded by my daughter's friend's father to sign up for a race next weekend.
Had a go at it when I was about 12 and loved it - now 26 years later (and into running, unlike then) I'm going to give it a go.

As many tips as possible welcome!

https://www.aire.org.uk/events/esholt-middle-distance-2021-11-14

I note that I will need trousers (I ALWAYS run in shorts) - any recommendations (ideally <£20!)

I joined a local orienteering club during lockdown as I thought it would be a bit of fun and unlike running events they were still able to take place due to the nature of the events. Unfortunately I can't really help in terms of advice because my navigation skills are woeful!

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
What colour course are you doing? I made the mistake of choosing based on the distances, the longer courses are also the ones where the navigation is more difficult (e.g. the controls are often near path junctions for the shorter courses and in the middle of a bit of scrubland for the longer courses)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What colour course are you doing? I made the mistake of choosing based on the distances, the longer courses are also the ones where the navigation is more difficult (e.g. the controls are often near path junctions for the shorter courses and in the middle of a bit of scrubland for the longer courses)

I've been advised to do green, which is the shortest distance for the hardest difficulty, I understand that after that the distances go up but not the distances.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
I've been advised to do green, which is the shortest distance for the hardest difficulty, I understand that after that the distances go up but not the distances.

Sounds good, should be challenging without being really difficult! Make sure you pay attention to the scale of the map and try to keep track of where you are at all times

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Sounds good, should be challenging without being really difficult! Make sure you pay attention to the scale of the map and try to keep track of where you are at all times

I should add that it happens to be in the woods at the back of my house where I run and walk all the time, which will surely help?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Chevin Forest parkrun for me - near Otley, north of Leeds. I understand I wasn’t the only NSC runner there, right [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] ?

New-ish course - 12th parkrun - really nice through the forest on the Chevin, a big hill above Otley, with two vicious climbs and an uphill finish which will explain the 23:42. time. Also notable for the longest walk from a car park to the start - around 15 mins, just as well we got there early!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Chevin Forest parkrun for me - near Otley, north of Leeds. I understand I wasn’t the only NSC runner there, right [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] ?

New-ish course - 12th parkrun - really nice through the forest on the Chevin, a big hill above Otley, with two vicious climbs and an uphill finish which will explain the 23:42. time. Also notable for the longest walk from a car park to the start - around 15 mins, just as well we got there early!

Strava threw you two together on my recent activity from NSC. You won the Yorkshire NSC runners challenge by 2 mins 4 secs.

On strengthening stage of Achilles. Slowly improving. Ran a beach walked a beach along the Prom for 3 miles on Friday and survived enough for a 10 mile walk yesterday.
Have taken on board your weak hip flexors leading down to Achilles problems and added some exercises to my stretching routine.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Chevin Forest parkrun for me - near Otley, north of Leeds. I understand I wasn’t the only NSC runner there, right @<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=1320" target="_blank">Notters</a></u> ?

You're right there, the question is who are you and how did you know? :lol:
Presumably you were the one they announced as being from Brighton at the start?

It's my local. Just ordered some Salomon speedcross 4 gtxs so planning on running to the start this week from home (~5km). Am a bit off the pace having had covid and various other lurgies in the last couple of months.

Got the Chevin Chase to look forward to on boxing day too.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Strava threw you two together on my recent activity from NSC. You won the Yorkshire NSC runners challenge by 2 mins 4 secs.

On strengthening stage of Achilles. Slowly improving. Ran a beach walked a beach along the Prom for 3 miles on Friday and survived enough for a 10 mile walk yesterday.
Have taken on board your weak hip flexors leading down to Achilles problems and added some exercises to my stretching routine.

Ha I looked on there and still couldn't work it out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here