Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] says, just ease off a bit and your HR will drop, and you should be able to carry on for longer. Adding 0.5-1k a week on your current run/volume is a decent approach.

If you can get out twice a week I'd probably do one 'steady' run (continuous effort, gradually increase the distance) and one where you mix things up a bit - no need to get too scientific, combo of pushing on uphills and/or faster efforts, with slower recovery jogs in between, incorporated into the run would be fine.

Fartleking is good for mixing it up and, given the posted said he dislikes running, flying through a session. I find the time and distance really flies by when I’m doing this. Again, no need to be too scientific, use lampposts as markers.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I hate running, always have. But I am reasonably fit and train probably 4-5 times a week in a mixture of cardio / strength based work. I've been roped into a 10 mile run in September so thought I better get training.

Been comfortably running 4-6km at a time, average pace of around 5'20/km over the last few weeks which feels pretty decent - although reading some of the posts above slightly concerned at my average heart rate of 155bpm (age mid-30s!)

What is the best way to increase distance? Realistically I can only get out probably once or maybe twice a week, I have just been tending to add on 0.5km / 1km at a time but not sure if this is the right tactic or should I focus on staying at a reasonable distance and improving my times?

I (disclaimer: an idiot) would do one session at the speed and distance and one quicker session a week at half the distance at max-ish effort.

One 10-miler, aiming to finish in 85ish.

One five-miler split anyway you like. Maybe:
0.5k warm-up; 2k (two-minute rest); 3x1k (90-second rest in between each); 2k; 0.5k warm-down
4x2k (90 seconds to two-minute rest between each)
1k warm-up; 3x2k; 1k warm-down
3k (same sort of rest period); 2x1k (90-second rest each); 3k

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thanks all - some good tips.

I actually have enjoyed the runs I've been doing, so I guess my dislike of running is historical now. Useful tips on the pacing. I had no idea how difficult it was to maintain your breathing on my first proper run.... the last 3-4 I've maintained a solid 5'20/km ish pace for the full duration. Never really thought about aiming for a slower pace for longer duration as an effective way of going further.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Thanks all - some good tips.

I actually have enjoyed the runs I've been doing, so I guess my dislike of running is historical now. Useful tips on the pacing. I had no idea how difficult it was to maintain your breathing on my first proper run.... the last 3-4 I've maintained a solid 5'20/km ish pace for the full duration. Never really thought about aiming for a slower pace for longer duration as an effective way of going further.

Cool - it’s also true that by training at a slower pace you will be able to run faster as well as further.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Hi all. Having only recently started running (last August) and now up to running reasonable distances (17 miles per week, split 7 miles midweek, 10 at the weekend with the occasional HM) I'm realising that i really do not like running in the heat. Being a fatty part of the issue is thirst so I've bought a water bottle belt. I don't want to spend load on glucose drinks, but I do want a bit more than water alone. Any recommendations?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Any other “pathetic” runners on here who decide what type of run they have done AFTER the run? Because I run nearly every day the disappointing times make me declare every run a recovery run!

I don’t have time for days off.

Awaits flaming from the proper runners on here��

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Any other “pathetic” runners on here who decide what type of run they have done AFTER the run? Because I run nearly every day the disappointing times make me declare every run a recovery run!

could you explain what you are going on about, as you have totally lost me:dunce:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hi all. Having only recently started running (last August) and now up to running reasonable distances (17 miles per week, split 7 miles midweek, 10 at the weekend with the occasional HM) I'm realising that i really do not like running in the heat. Being a fatty part of the issue is thirst so I've bought a water bottle belt. I don't want to spend load on glucose drinks, but I do want a bit more than water alone. Any recommendations?

I mix water and juice 60/40 with a little salt after long runs. You might like that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Simple, you alternate between steady, easy, LSD, warm up before stretching, testing the injury, running with Dave, slow twitch work out, mitochondria wake up call, heavy legs or knackered.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
could you explain what you are going on about, as you have totally lost me:dunce:

Hopefully Knocky has made it clearer (!) but you are supposed to train to a plan, with rest days, hills, slow heart rate runs, etc, etc but I just go out and run and see what happens. Who ever said doing the same thing over and over again gets the same results..... was right

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Whats the science behind this nugget? Should I be running slower sometimes if I want to up my speed?

There’s plenty of science to back this up, I don’t have anything with me at the mo to show. Running at a slower pace increases your endurance and recovery muscles. Running slower works out your tiny twitch muscles that help with endurance and recovery. Plenty of slow runs at different distances plus a varied regular training regime will get you gains you need.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
There’s plenty of science to back this up, I don’t have anything with me at the mo to show. Running at a slower pace increases your endurance and recovery muscles. Running slower works out your tiny twitch muscles that help with endurance and recovery. Plenty of slow runs at different distances plus a varied regular training regime will get you gains you need.

So at the moment, I'm doing between 3-5 runs a week with weekends off, all around 6km (got a nice little 3km loop where I live). How would be the best way to split these up into fast/slow or a bit longer/shorter during the week if I wanted to try and up my general speed? Currently averaging about 4:45/km

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
So at the moment, I'm doing between 3-5 runs a week with weekends off, all around 6km (got a nice little 3km loop where I live). How would be the best way to split these up into fast/slow or a bit longer/shorter during the week if I wanted to try and up my general speed? Currently averaging about 4:45/km

So you have a good base fitness. I would go with
Mon easy 6km.
Tues 3km speed session either 3/5x1 loop at 70-80% effort. Stopping or warming down after each loop for 1 or two mins. Or if you’re short of time split the loop up into segments say 3, then go for 60/70/80% efforts with 40sec warm down in between.
Wed; night off or an easy 6k run.
Thursday; Find a Holland do 5-10 hill reps, depending on time and length of hill. Warm up and down too and from the hill.
Friday easy 3-6k run.

Try and incorporate some weights and general cardio if needed. Weights are good as running will use a lot of muscles but other don’t get used. So incorporate weight training for your hip flexors and upper body (strength to power through your slide)

Finally I would defo recommend some trail running (if you can all the above on the trails that would be great) but if not that’s ok. Trail running will work on your balance, working your ankles and general endurance.

Not a coach, but all the above kind of worked for me, and picked it up as I went on. Best thing you can do though is be flexible your time, mix it up and be kind to yourself. Stu

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
So you have a good base fitness. I would go with
Mon easy 6km.
Tues 3km speed session either 3/5x1 loop at 70-80% effort. Stopping or warming down after each loop for 1 or two mins. Or if you’re short of time split the loop up into segments say 3, then go for 60/70/80% efforts with 40sec warm down in between.
Wed; night off or an easy 6k run.
Thursday; Find a Holland do 5-10 hill reps, depending on time and length of hill. Warm up and down too and from the hill.
Friday easy 3-6k run.

Try and incorporate some weights and general cardio if needed. Weights are good as running will use a lot of muscles but other don’t get used. So incorporate weight training for your hip flexors and upper body (strength to power through your slide)

Finally I would defo recommend some trail running (if you can all the above on the trails that would be great) but if not that’s ok. Trail running will work on your balance, working your ankles and general endurance.

Not a coach, but all the above kind of worked for me, and picked it up as I went on. Best thing you can do though is be flexible your time, mix it up and be kind to yourself. Stu

Massive thanks Stu. Much appreciated.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] little more help please. It's my birthday next week and I'm undecided on the Nike Tempo NEXT% or the Nike Air Zoom Pegasus. They'll be used as training shoes for the Vaporfly.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I hate running, always have. But I am reasonably fit and train probably 4-5 times a week in a mixture of cardio / strength based work. I've been roped into a 10 mile run in September so thought I better get training.

Been comfortably running 4-6km at a time, average pace of around 5'20/km over the last few weeks which feels pretty decent - although reading some of the posts above slightly concerned at my average heart rate of 155bpm (age mid-30s!)

What is the best way to increase distance? Realistically I can only get out probably once or maybe twice a week, I have just been tending to add on 0.5km / 1km at a time but not sure if this is the right tactic or should I focus on staying at a reasonable distance and improving my times?

If I think back to when I started running, that's exactly the approach I took. Started at literally a run around the block and then the 'blocks' got bigger and bigger. If you don't like running, I would suggest keeping it flat (although hills would help with endurance, but if you're not enjoying it, it's going to take you longer) and if you're in Worthing, then the seafront is ideal. Also, out and back runs aren't always the best, but might suit you because you can just run a set distance and know, when you turn around, that you'll have run double that, without the distraction of taking short cuts home.

If you're going out once or twice I week, I wouldn't necessarily keep adding every run – maybe add a km every week or two weeks, to get you used to the longer distances :shrug:

Good luck – I've got a mate who didn't really run, but decided to do 5K every day in February and has now carried on and ran a half marathon last week!

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] little more help please. It's my birthday next week and I'm undecided on the Nike Tempo NEXT% or the Nike Air Zoom Pegasus. They'll be used as training shoes for the Vaporfly.

I have the Nike Tempo Next% for everyday use along with the Zoom Air Alpha Fly and rotate them.

A couple of observations:

• I thought they'd be a similar fit, but the Tempo Next% feel more narrow (and I have really narrow feet) I've found it it's tight on the smaller toes that causes some pain / blood
  • The back also rubs and gives me blisters on longer runs
  • They're actually pretty fast, and not far off my alpha fly or vapor fly times.

I use both Alpha Fly and Vapor Fly and both give me no problems. I actually think the vapor fly 4% feels quicker.

I think I'm going to go back to pairing the Brooks Ghost with Vaporfly 4%. Using the alpha fly and vapor fly too much makes my back feel like it's going to go at any point.

On another note, I recently got a Whoop band and pretty impressed. It calculates recovery and HRV, and scary how bad my recovery is after drinking (which is most nights) a night off and my HRV and recovery sky rockets!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here