Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Maffetone Training Update

**********MAFFETONE TRAINING UPDATE**********

Hi all, for any of you interested in low heart rate training - a further update on my Maffetone journey/experiment/progress over the last few weeks.

Been a bit of a weird month, I didn't feel I was making much progress so had a bit of a wobble mid month and considered jacking the whole thing in. I decided instead to bring in a small amount of speed work and so did a few faster KM's here and there and that really seemed to help both mentally and physically. It felt so so good to get the legs going again at 4.00-4.30 min/km pace. What I have seen in the last 10 days or so is a big improvement in my pace at my Maffetone heart rate (143bpm) so that's really good news. MAF Test this morning averaged 6.09min/KM but I've been lower recently. I should consistently be below 6min/KM pretty soon - seeing splits that begin with a 5 is such a joy!

So 8 weeks in now and I guess I've strayed away a little from pure Maffetone and am now probably moving towards 80/20 training (I'm kinda at 90/10 right now!), whatever it is I'm doing the plan is to stick to low heart rate most of the time and chuck in a few hard efforts here and there. Keep the easy runs easy and the hard runs hard (as someone much better at running than me once said!). I'm going to bring some hill work in once the trails have dried up a little more, I've really missed being up on the downs.

Some data below from my Maffetone runs and tests - all at a max HR of 143bpm.

Maf3.jpg

Until next time - safe running!!!

BW

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Despite the high of anaerobic running, I'm holding back with excessive rest and recovery. 2 full days off before the mile run, 3 needed days off afterwards and these followed by an extra day today as I had the jab this morning and need to be cautious with my ::tosser: immune system.

I am going to go again in 7 days for the British Master's 1 Mile Virtual Challenge. So a few short interval sessions this week before an attempt at sub 6. I post that here for motivation as anything over will be a failure.

I need [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] to tell me if PP velodrome would be a good place for the effort. I quite like Madeira Drive as plenty of space and you can aim at objects in the distance but if the velodrome offers bounce I'll take it.

Madeira Drive would be your best bet I’d say. The Velodrome doesn’t offer much if any bounce and the camber doesn’t help either. If the wind is reasonable, I’d take the seafront any day.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Whist I know [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] has done great things at the velodrome, I can't stop myself from advising caution. I had a 'mare there but that was a 72 times around marathon and naturally I was running the inside line. Perhaps further out to the perimeter is less harsh? All I would do, then, is advise that you go and have a recce. Run a couple of laps and get the feel of it. It would never be my choice for a PB.

I had my jab Friday and was happily bombing along the seafront early the next day but we are all different. My older son (not the runner) who has really serious problems with his immune system was wrecked for a day or so.

Keep posting!

Madeira Drive would be your best bet I’d say. The Velodrome doesn’t offer much if any bounce and the camber doesn’t help either. If the wind is reasonable, I’d take the seafront any day.

I'm still posting! Have had a reaction with swollen sore arm and headaches, so sicknote will take a day or two off.

Looks like the velodrome is out of the question for the weekend after damning reviews from you two. Thanks for feedback. I'll stick to Madeira Drive at the weekend. There is a forecast 8 mph easterly that I'll get some assistance from.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm still posting! Have had a reaction with swollen sore arm and headaches, so sicknote will take a day or two off.

Looks like the velodrome is out of the question for the weekend after damning reviews from you two. Thanks for feedback. I'll stick to Madeira Drive at the weekend. There is a forecast 8 mph easterly that I'll get some assistance from.

Also, you are relieved from the NSC Arm Wrestling Age Graded Challenge for 2 days.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

WTF! You can't run in a mask, in fact you can't run if you have a respiratory issue! If anyone believes they are going to catch COVID in the brief moment that they are passed by a runner they are probably being a bit neurotic.

Aside from that the vast majority of runners I've come across have been more than happy to stop and stand aside, or run in the road, in order to avoid pedestrians.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Also, you are relieved from the NSC Arm Wrestling Age Graded Challenge for 2 days.

I'm still smarting from my last arm wrestling challenge. A 55 year old challenged me and after 45 seconds of massive gurning my hand was slowly pushed onto the pub bar. Then for the next 3 weeks I had neck pain from a strained muscle. Although a weight lifter she did really well.

5:58 posted by the Gasson yesterday. A bit too much for me methinks. I'll give it a go at the weekend and if I'm off pace at the halfway stage retire.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
WTF! You can't run in a mask, in fact you can't run if you have a respiratory issue! If anyone believes they are going to catch COVID in the brief moment that they are passed by a runner they are probably being a bit neurotic.

Aside from that the vast majority of runners I've come across have been more than happy to stop and stand aside, or run in the road, in order to avoid pedestrians.

Exactly....I've just been out. Roads and paths are pretty quiet anyway, but I simply gave a wide berth to the few pedestrians I encountered - meant hopping onto the road from the pavement a couple of times but the vast majority of people are just respectful either way and smile/nod/say good morning. There are always a few nobends around though - people 3/4 abreast across paths but make no effort to create space when you are running towards them, people with their noses buried in their phones (anyone in the 15-25 age range is guaranteed to do this).

Have a look at the state of this paranoid old Bint (she's right about huffing past in lycra though)

[tweet]1366333371069198336[/tweet]

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm still smarting from my last arm wrestling challenge. A 55 year old challenged me and after 45 seconds of massive gurning my hand was slowly pushed onto the pub bar. Then for the next 3 weeks I had neck pain from a strained muscle. Although a weight lifter she did really well.

5:58 posted by the Gasson yesterday. A bit too much for me methinks. I'll give it a go at the weekend and if I'm off pace at the halfway stage retire.

Even though it'll be tough I think you are better off chasing the likes of Gasson than undertaking impromptu arm wrestles. Ducking under the 6 minute mark is in itself a major achievement, regardless of the bigger 80% AG attainment.
It's funny but whenever I've set myself of challenge with the 'retire' option, I'll always end up taking that option. A sign of mental weakness probably.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Even though it'll be tough I think you are better off chasing the likes of Gasson than undertaking impromptu arm wrestles. Ducking under the 6 minute mark is in itself a major achievement, regardless of the bigger 80% AG attainment.
It's funny but whenever I've set myself of challenge with the 'retire' option, I'll always end up taking that option. A sign of mental weakness probably.

A sign of a wise man is knowing when to stop.
Ran 5 X .2 miles yesterday. Before the last interval I had a calf niggle, so I obviously did some quick ineffective stretching and carried on to see what the intervals would add up to for a mile. Result was an evening of rest, ice and elevation. Feels OK today but I'm not testing for a couple of days to allow healing. I might be asking Jack Straw for soleus help....
Very happy with pre season form (up to amile) but don't know where it comes from. Hope it's not my Swansong!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Ran 5 X .2 miles yesterday. Before the last interval I had a calf niggle, so I obviously did some quick ineffective stretching and carried on to see what the intervals would add up to for a mile. Result was an evening of rest, ice and elevation. Feels OK today but I'm not testing for a couple of days to allow healing. I might be asking Jack Straw for soleus help....
Very happy with pre season form (up to amile) but don't know where it comes from. Hope it's not my Swansong!
I've found this really good.
https://www.pogophysio.com.au/blog/how-to-rehab-calf-strains-in-runners/
Been doing most of the things it suggests. I've recovered enough to start the walking / running regime. I'm on to the second week of the road back to normality walking and jogging.
Today, I'm doing my second of three times for a week, 30 minutes of 1 minute jogging, 4 minutes walking. Then next week, I move on to increasing the jogging and reducing the walking by 30 seconds and continue with the 30 second increase/reduction like this each week for another six weeks when I should be virtually back to normal running for the whole 30 minutes. Then it's time to increase speed, distance, and incorporate slopes. This is all as stated in the link above.
Seems to be working.
Just about to don my Mizunos and head to Madeira Drive!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've found this really good.
https://www.pogophysio.com.au/blog/how-to-rehab-calf-strains-in-runners/
Been doing most of the things it suggests. I've recovered enough to start the walking / running regime. I'm on to the second week of the road back to normality walking and jogging.
Today, I'm doing my second of three times for a week, 30 minutes of 1 minute jogging, 4 minutes walking. Then next week, I move on to increasing the jogging and reducing the walking by 30 seconds and continue with the 30 second increase/reduction like this each week for another six weeks when I should be virtually back to normal running for the whole 30 minutes. Then it's time to increase speed, distance, and incorporate slopes. This is all as stated in the link above.
Seems to be working.
Just about to don my Mizunos and head to Madeira Drive!

That is an excellent link. I'm hoping I stopped in time and a day or two rest will be enough as I need to go flat out on Saturday, if only I was a wiseman.....

Good luck with your rehab. I like Madeira Drive for running. Enough space and a mix of various characters.
I find it amusing that where they have cut back all the bushes, it hasn't stopped the lingering. Where they have fenced off the alcoves the poor homeless have found other spots.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Sorry to hear about the niggle. Boundto happen at some point on those v. intensuve workouts, I guess.

An almost windless Worthing prom gave me the opportunity to 'blast' a quick 5k and I managed an SB of 22.04. This gives me a 76.72% AG and raises the bar a little higher.
I reckon that if you are anywhere near your target time for 1 mile you'll smash that out of the park, but if you fall short then that's a bit of a soft target to beat.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
**** off.

[tweet]1366667116255010818[/tweet]

This. If it's such an issue, then why didn't someone call for it back in the summer, or when masks were introduced in the Autumn? Seems a bit 'shutting the stable door once the horse has bolted' to me. Or if it's part of the whole 'country opening up' thing, then that's BS because, due to more people getting out to fit in their daily exercise, lots of popular running routes have been packed. Take the bottom of the Downslink, East side of the river into Shoreham-by-Sea town. Absolutely MOBBED on a sunny day – and that's in a lockdown. But yeah, blame the runners...

Any why single out runners? What about cyclists, skateboarders, scooterists(?).

And this, too. I try to keep to quite quiet places – and run early doors when fewer people are out – and I'll nearly ALWAYS stop, or move aside for people. Cyclists (again, along the Downslink) will always say thank you, but do they ever stop? Do they feck.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry to hear about the niggle. Boundto happen at some point on those v. intensuve workouts, I guess.

An almost windless Worthing prom gave me the opportunity to 'blast' a quick 5k and I managed an SB of 22.04. This gives me a 76.72% AG and raises the bar a little higher.
I reckon that if you are anywhere near your target time for 1 mile you'll smash that out of the park, but if you fall short then that's a bit of a soft target to beat.

With dodgy knee? Well done I can only dream of a 5K at that AG at present. You are top of the so virtual that it is invisible NSC table.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Don’t try this training plan! With 26 rest days in a month with no cross training I’ve managed...
5 running sessions in a month.
Feb 3rd 3x1mile 7:09 7:16 6:42 normal cushion trainers
Feb 19th 4x 1/2m 7:00 pace normal trainers
Feb 21st 4x 1/4m 6:08 pace magic yellow flat racers
Feb 24th PP Magic Mile 6:14 magic yellows
March 2nd 5x.2m 5:36 pace Vaporfly Next 4%

My calf issue went yesterday morning and moved to my lower back. Proof for [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] theory of the link between them? Should be fine tomorrow just DOMS. Caused by switch to running on the toes with the Vaporfly (only a mile) Now have 2 days rollering and stretching before going for solo glory this weekend. The adrenaline is flowing.......

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Don’t try this training plan! With 26 rest days in a month with no cross training I’ve managed...
5 running sessions in a month.
Feb 3rd 3x1mile 7:09 7:16 6:42 normal cushion trainers
Feb 19th 4x 1/2m 7:00 pace normal trainers
Feb 21st 4x 1/4m 6:08 pace magic yellow flat racers
Feb 24th PP Magic Mile 6:14 magic yellows
March 2nd 5x.2m 5:36 pace Vaporfly Next 4%

My calf issue went yesterday morning and moved to my lower back. Proof for [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] theory of the link between them? Should be fine tomorrow just DOMS. Caused by switch to running on the toes with the Vaporfly (only a mile) Now have 2 days rollering and stretching before going for solo glory this weekend. The adrenaline is flowing.......

Still on for tomorrow (or Sunday?) chief?

If it's anything like today it will be cold and with a stiff easterly.................

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Still on for tomorrow (or Sunday?) chief?

If it's anything like today it will be cold and with a stiff easterly.................

Just out having an easy 2 miler with 6 strides thrown in. Found it hard to get up to race speed. This could be explained by subconciously holding back for tomorrow and the tin of mackerel mixed with a pot of kimchi all followed up with strawberry kefir consumed half an hour before running.

Have booked in the easterly for 12 tomorrow and will set off from the Weakest Link Relay start with my spinnaker unfurled and ready. The rest will be history or, more likely, a massive anticlimax.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
An update on my soleus injury. Finished the second week of walking / running / walking. My leg is completely pain free, and the soreness to the touch of the soleus muscle has gone.
Next week, it's 3.5 minutes of walking, 1.5 minutes of running alternately for 30 minutes, Mon, Wed & Fri. It's great to be able to run again. For the first time in my rehabilitation process, today, I got out of breath and my legs now ache. Just like a normal run! Although I've taken it easy, I must be running slightly faster each session.
I'm so pleased!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Lots of NSCers with niggles, any recommendations for any strengthening? I am a bit overweight and if i do anything for much more than an hour i ache an awful lot. Particularly glutes/hamstrings.

I am not very flexible at all - is it worth taking up some sort of Pilates?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here