Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Depends on how old he is...

In his recent HM result he was in the V40 category which puts him 40-44.

Strava gives him a best estimated mile of 5:15.

5:15 for a 44-y-o comes in at 77.07% (74.77% for a 40-y-o).

However that 5:15 was supposedly part of that recent HM. If that is accurate, a standalone mile would surely be quicker. I think he'll take it.

Regardless, I'm pleased about all these fantastic times to start things off - it means I don't have to bother now!

Also I think it should be renamed the 'The Knocky Mile Challenge' - i.e. the title changes with the leader. Perhaps soon to be 'the Artie'...…......…..we'll see.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Sounds exactly like me. Since lockdown which has meant no playing football I’ve gone from roughly 25 miles per week to 45.

7 consecutive days running for the first time ever and still feel well rested. I am taking a rest day today but will run at least 6 days consecutive starting tomorrow.

171 miles for April already which surpasses the 155 a previous record from March.

Awesome mate! Have you thought anymore about purchasing a massage gun? It's just that I had a little shin pain on Sunday post-run so got to work on my calves with the gun as well as the usual foam rolling and icing and I definitely think the gun made the difference in sorting it out and I was fine on Monday's run.

They are pretty pricey but seem to really help as an extra (deep) massage tool, particularly in areas hard to reach with the foam roller, to loosen any tightness and knots, usually as a result of stepping up in volume and/or intensity (work load).

The body gave me a timely reminder to value and prioritise rest, recovery and stretching just as much as the running itself, before something creeps up on you.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Back from the mile. Set off far too quickly and continually dropped off. I knew I needed a pacer. Had to dig in, run round road works, shout a warning to a skateboarder but got 5:56 and 77.74%, if GNT doesn't rule it as 5:57.
Think I can improve on that with some speedwork and getting the vaporfly Next out of the box. It's great how so much pain can cheer you up.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/13900960

Fantastic running Gaffer! :clap2:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Given that it's down to me and Dazzer to do the crazy stuff - here's my lockdown marathon from this morning. Just the 276 laps of a 0.1-mile course [emoji23][emoji23]
8f71e840ba310e1d41b803554020d076.jpg
04b2b77f1bc511e9bb5e20ba9a3403fb.jpg

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
Back from the mile. Set off far too quickly and continually dropped off. I knew I needed a pacer. Had to dig in, run round road works, shout a warning to a skateboarder but got 5:56 and 77.74%, if GNT doesn't rule it as 5:57.
Think I can improve on that with some speedwork and getting the vaporfly Next out of the box. It's great how so much pain can cheer you up.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/13900960

Well done Gaffer that's a great run, not withstanding the fact you think you can go quicker! That sort of time is I think beyond me, even if I put some more smart training in. Which goes to prove to some extent that natural ability is a big factor regardless of how much training anyone might do.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Depends on how old he is...

In his recent HM result he was in the V40 category which puts him 40-44.

Strava gives him a best estimated mile of 5:15.

5:15 for a 44-y-o comes in at 77.07% (74.77% for a 40-y-o).

However that 5:15 was supposedly part of that recent HM. If that is accurate, a standalone mile would surely be quicker. I think he'll take it.

Regardless, I'm pleased about all these fantastic times to start things off - it means I don't have to bother now!

:lolol: I'm 42, turning 43 in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure I'd get close to Gaffer's leading AG.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Awesome mate! Have you thought anymore about purchasing a massage gun? It's just that I had a little shin pain on Sunday post-run so got to work on my calves with the gun as well as the usual foam rolling and icing and I definitely think the gun made the difference in sorting it out and I was fine on Monday's run.

They are pretty pricey but seem to really help as an extra (deep) massage tool, particularly in areas hard to reach with the foam roller, to loosen any tightness and knots, usually as a result of stepping up in volume and/or intensity (work load).

The body gave me a timely reminder to value and prioritise rest, recovery and stretching just as much as the running itself, before something creeps up on you.

Funnily enough I was going to buy this today

https://amzn.to/3f4ynkW

Any other recommendations?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I’ve had three cancellations already this year, two half’s and Berlin marathon which was in September as all events over 5000 are automatically banned until October. Given this, and the winter here, nothing will now happen until Spring irrespective of Covid-19. I imagine spring is the earliest for you as well. Berlin marathon is frustrating as I had to defer the two previous years due to injuries. That said I took a tumble on a trail a few weeks back and bashed my chest, my ribs still hurt so maybe the half cancellations are a good thing.

As someone else said, it’s now nice running for fun without any plan or goal in mind...but this will soon wear off and I’ll need something to focus on.

I'm already a bit fed up of running for fun on my own. I've always done the majority of my runs solo, but without my regular group runs to break them up I'm finding it hard to keep things interesting.

I'm already resigned to the fact Boston will be cancelled, despite them continuing with their social media saying "see you in September". I've actually booked a hotel for next spring, in case they push everyone's entries to then. As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says, there's no guarantee any kind of mass participation event will happen by then. The thought of training through another Toronto winter for no race is already filling me with dread.

On a more positive note, a few friends and I have come up with our own virtual race. Everyone has picked a distance they want to run and we're all going to do it on 31st May (solo runs obviously). We've also drawn each other's names in a Secret Santa style and we're going to make a medal for the person we've drawn. It's a bit of fun and something to look forward to.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cool! The Mingto looks decent. I managed to get a discount on an Air Legs one https://www.air-legs.com/products/air-legs-recovery-massage-gun but I think they all pretty much do the same thing (adjustable speed levels is good to have). They come with a few different massage "heads" but I've only used the "Big Ball Head" :lolol:

I had an ad pop up in the middle of viewing Instagram stories the other day that I tapped to open because I thought "what the bloody hell is that?"

Frankly, it looked like it would be of most use in bedroom environments.

From your posts today, I've since discovered it is a massage gun >>> https://www.theragun.com/uk/en-gb/g3pro-uk.html

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I had an ad pop up in the middle of viewing Instagram stories the other day that I tapped to open because I thought "what the bloody hell is that?"

Frankly, it looked like it would be of most use in bedroom environments.

From your posts today, I've since discovered it is a massage gun >>> https://www.theragun.com/uk/en-gb/g3pro-uk.html

:lolol:

These air compression leg massagers are all the rage too - https://recoverfit.co.uk/products/normatec
You've probably seen a lot of pro athletes, footballers etc. wearing them to aid recovery. Blood and lymphatic circulation therapy.

These and chryotherapy chambers have been the current go-to recovery practices... long gone are the days of the communal hot baths :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
:lolol:

These air compression leg massagers are all the rage too - https://recoverfit.co.uk/products/normatec
You've probably seen a lot of pro athletes, footballers etc. wearing them to aid recovery. Blood and lymphatic circulation therapy.

These and chryotherapy chambers have been the current go-to recovery practices... long gone are the days of the communal hot baths :lolol:

Indeed. When you said "air legs", that's what I expected to see.

There are a few runners I interact with on Instagram who have them or, at least, post photos of them wearing them and although they are decent runners, they're far from elite athletes.

I'm stick to my non-stretching, non-rolling, non-epsom-salt-baths but quaffing a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc to rehydrate tactics. The world will catch up with me at some point.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I’m sure you could easily run the required 5:10 in the last mile of a marathon, if needed.

I need 5:10 to beat your AG mile. It looks like [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] can do it with a leisurely 5:24

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

There are a few runners I interact with on Instagram who have them or, at least, post photos of them wearing them and although they are decent runners, they're far from elite athletes.

I'm stick to my non-stretching, non-rolling, non-epsom-salt-baths but quaffing a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc to rehydrate tactics. The world will catch up with me at some point.

:lolol: I understand that's a thorough peer-reviewed rehydration approach Bozza, but a non-stretching, non-rolling advocacy is bold. Ahead of the times no doubt.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
:lolol: I understand that's a thorough peer-reviewed rehydration approach Bozza, but a non-stretching, non-rolling advocacy is bold. Ahead of the times no doubt.

In all seriousness, I had somewhat of an epiphany whilst watching various running vlogs the other night, and thought "I want to take this running thing seriously now".

I'm not entirely sure what I meant by that thought, as I'd had a fair few, but the things I recall included eating better again and really cutting back on drink,. The primary reason is to lose more weight because lighter broadly equates to quicker.

I guess I've become more interested in performance improvement over the past couple of months and I'm interested to see how far that can go If I apply myself properly. Based on my last two "fast" 5kms, I'm sure I can break 20 minutes now, yet six months ago I'd have said that was all but impossible. It feels like my 10km time should be better, based on my 5km best, so I might save a crack at that for day 100 of my runsteak, with today being day 90.

Hell, I might even consider a race when that sort of thing happens again!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Your post-run routine is very similar to mine, although I tend to rehydrate with a craft beer.

I am finding I really need to stretch at the moment though. I think going from sitting on my arse all day, to running at a decent pace, then back to sitting on my arse isn't the best thing for my muscles.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Also I think it should be renamed the 'The Knocky Mile Challenge' - i.e. the title changes with the leader. Perhaps soon to be 'the Artie'...…......…..we'll see.

You started it!

I have a virtual race on hand for next month. I think I’ll limit myself to one mile effort a month. Have a virtual 5k to race before May 10th not using a Parkrun course.

I can smell the hare for next month’s mile. Bloody 67 at least!

3EB0479A-4DF2-4D47-B4A0-B177F4E74DF3.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here