Official Running Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I tried doing laps of my back garden this afternoon, as an experiment to see what it would be like if we were truly confined to home other than essential shopping.

I ran for 20 minutes, so anticipate I covered around 2.5 miles, possibly a touch less given the near-constant cornering. My watch clearly didn't have a clue what was going on as it only tracked 0.86 miles over the 20 minutes. My guess is it doesn't sample location frequently enough so just didn't track me running each relatively short side of the garden accurately.

I then tried running the shortest road lap I can from home. It's about 0.37 miles so 8 laps got me to 3 miles. Boring as hell though.

(Gutted around 1.5 miles from my garden laps won't make it into Strava!)

What watch ? A decent GPs watch shouldn’t be too bad - if you’re using some Apple thing it’ll probably be rubbish though

Anyway, poor effort. Have a look at what this chap did today........the sad **** [emoji23]

https://challenging.events/gareth/

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
First one mile effort and pleased with my time with a fairly stiff wind.

Measured 1 mile exactly on Preston Park Velodrome. 5:23. My GPS clocked 5:06 for the mile but it was a fair amount out.

A good benchmark for what is likely to be a weekly event for 10/12 weeks minimum.

Good effort and top of the table. Surely your Garmin is good enough to get the mile distance closer than that?

3 weeks with just 1 run for me. I find it hard to run without an objective. Enjoying my leg muscles getting bigger from eating but I better get out in the cold wind next week before they weaken.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What watch ? A decent GPs watch shouldn’t be too bad - if you’re using some Apple thing it’ll probably be rubbish though

Anyway, poor effort. Have a look at what this chap did today........the sad **** [emoji23]

https://challenging.events/gareth/

Apple Watch, but it is highly regarded for GPS accuracy (often well above Garmins, such as the one I have stuffed in a drawer that I never use now) which is why I've been happy to use it. In mapping routes I've run, I've always found that it is pretty much spot on.

However, in doing a bit of searching on this just now, I've read that when the Watch is paired with an iPhone then it is the iPhone's GPS which is used for distance recording. I always carry my phone with me when running.

However today, as I was lapping the garden, I'd set my phone down and wasn't carrying it with me, which probably explains the strange result. The watch knew I was accruing steps quickly, but the phone GPS, if it was using that as suggested, wasn't moving at all.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Apple Watch, but it is highly regarded for GPS accuracy (often well above Garmins, such as the one I have stuffed in a drawer that I never use now) which is why I've been happy to use it. In mapping routes I've run, I've always found that it is pretty much spot on.

However, in doing a bit of searching on this just now, I've read that when the Watch is paired with an iPhone then it is the iPhone's GPS which is used for distance recording. I always carry my phone with me when running.

However today, as I was lapping the garden, I'd set my phone down and wasn't carrying it with me, which probably explains the strange result. The watch knew I was accruing steps quickly, but the phone GPS, if it was using that as suggested, wasn't moving at all.

Some kind of Apple confusion by the sound of it.....bit like my late teens, mostly based around rough scrumpy at 50p a pint [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I’ve found my Sunnto watch much more accurate than previous Garmin devices. Phines (Omsung or otherwise) have always been inaccurate

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Four miles today - was going to be just two very slow rest day miles as part of "PE with Dad" with my 9-y-o, but the sun felt so good I tagged on another two solo miles.

In other news, code EXTRA2020 giving 25% off most things (their words, not mine) at Nike currently.

I've had my eye on the Pegasus 36 Trail for a while, and it feels rude not to snap up a pair right now...

Were: £114.95
Reduced to: £68.47
With discount code: £51.35

Free P&P too.

The Pegasus 36 Trail shoe looks very nice indeed!

Sportshoes.com have the New Balance 1080v10 on sale, 10% off, down to £121.49 (free UK delivery). An awesome neutral every day mileage road shoe.

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/new692942/new-balance-fresh-foam-1080v10-running-shoes-~-ss20/

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Pegasus 36 Trail shoe looks very nice indeed!

Sportshoes.com have the New Balance 1080v10 on sale, 10% off, down to £121.49 (free UK delivery). An awesome neutral every day mileage road shoe.

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/new692942/new-balance-fresh-foam-1080v10-running-shoes-~-ss20/

£127.00 at Keller Sports who are often very keen on price across the board, and they've just sent an email with these discount codes:

HOME15 - 15% off £110+
HOME10 - 10% off £76+
HOME5 - 5% off £42+

https://www.keller-sports.co.uk/p/new-balance-1080-v10-running-shoes-RSCNB00M000.html

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pressed for clarity on the rules, Mr Gove told the BBC's Andrew Marr programme: "Well, obviously it depends on each individual's fitness.

"I would have thought that for most people, a walk of up to an hour, or a run of 30 minutes or a cycle ride of between that, depending on their level of fitness is appropriate."

Source >>> https://www.politicshome.com/news/a...tints-to-30-minutes-amid-coronavirus-lockdown

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Up to the Dyke via Benfield Valley, across a little bit and back down again for me this morning. Managed to get a nice bramble scratch or three on my left knee when I pulled to the side to socially distance from a runner coming the other way. Didn't really notice with the adrenaline so wondered why someone asked me if I was ok from the other side of the road. Came home and noticed the dried blood caked on my leg which was far more dramatic than the actual scratches once I cleaned myself up.

A freezing and very strong headwind heading up. I did an out and back with the out taking 50 minutes and a back that I extended for an additional street taking 46.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I'm sure it's been covered a few times on the NSC Running thread over the years but as we're currently hunkered down in self isolation and inspired by the "What Book Are You Currently Reading" thread popping up on page 1 I just thought I'd throw out some running-related book recommendations.

I'm trying my best to limit my time on the various screens we have in the house and finding that picking up a book in the evenings once my boys are asleep is very calming.

So here's a few recommendations (Bozza will be happy as I'm sure all of them are available to purchase on Amazon :smile:)

The Classics
Born To Run - Christopher McDougall
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - Haruki Murakami
Eat and Run - Scott Jurek
North - Scott Jurek

All of Adharanand Finn's books. I loved Running With The Kenyans and currently reading The Way of the Runner and have The Rise of the Ultra Runners up next.
Running With The Kenyans - story of moving with this family to Iten, Kenya for 6 months the home Kenyan distance running)
The Way of the Runner - story of moving with his family to Japan for 6 months to find out about Japan's obsession with marathon running)
The Rise of the Ultra Runners

Running Training Books
Daniels' Running Formula - Dr Jack Daniels (I think this is the don of distance running training books which I continue to go back to time and again).
Advanced Marathoning - Peter Pfitzinger & Scott Douglas (another really top running training book full of brilliant learnings and insight).

Anyone else have a few book recommendations to throw into the mix?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'm sure it's been covered a few times on the NSC Running thread over the years but as we're currently hunkered down in self isolation and inspired by the "What Book Are You Currently Reading" thread popping up on page 1 I just thought I'd throw out some running-related book recommendations.

I'm trying my best to limit my time on the various screens we have in the house and finding that picking up a book in the evenings once my boys are asleep is very calming.

So here's a few recommendations (Bozza will be happy as I'm sure all of them are available to purchase on Amazon :smile:)

The Classics
North - Scott Jurek

All of Adharanand Finn's books. I loved Running With The Kenyans and currently reading The Way of the Runner and have The Rise of the Ultra Runners up next.
Running With The Kenyans - story of moving with this family to Iten, Kenya for 6 months the home Kenyan distance running)
The Way of the Runner - story of moving with his family to Japan for 6 months to find out about Japan's obsession with marathon running)

Running Training Books
Daniels' Running Formula - Dr Jack Daniels (I think this is the don of distance running training books which I continue to go back to time and again).
Advanced Marathoning - Peter Pfitzinger & Scott Douglas (another really top running training book full of brilliant learnings and insight).

Dean Karnazes - Ultramarathon Man. Inspiring.

And "Running Hot and Cold" by Doug Richards. He's a Brighton fan and it was published by Pitch Publishing, a local independent sports publisher endorsed by the likes of Paul Hayward. I'm sure they could use our custom at this time. Not to mention that Doug's sister was my kids' child minder and is one of the sweetest, loveliest people on the planet.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pressed for clarity on the rules, Mr Gove told the BBC's Andrew Marr programme: "Well, obviously it depends on each individual's fitness.

"I would have thought that for most people, a walk of up to an hour, or a run of 30 minutes or a cycle ride of between that, depending on their level of fitness is appropriate."

Source >>> https://www.politicshome.com/news/a...tints-to-30-minutes-amid-coronavirus-lockdown

Are we pretending this didn't happen?

Asking for a friend who has yet to run today.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

As the Romans said "In Strava veritas".

If your friend lives near Cissbury Ring he'll be fine. Best for all runners to keep quiet about outings as there seems to be a fair bit of opposition to our freedom as it is.

Sure it's OK on here however. If not we could devise an enigma code......

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Yes we are, it’s not in the official guidance/rules. I ran past a group of coppers this morning near the A23, looked as though they were going to set up a checkpoint. Just got a ‘good morning’ nod from them......didn’t ask me how far I was going.......

They’ve just interviewed a guy on the news about the ‘30 minutes’ quote who suggested over an hour is maybe stretching things a bit, but in the context of things getting ‘a bit crowded’ in the cities/built up areas.

I went out for about 2 hours earlier. Saw maybe 10 people in total and didn’t get within 3-4m of any of them. Didn’t touch a single gate, fencepost or anything else apart from my own gate when leaving and returning. Far more risk in my short trip to the shops yesterday.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes we are, it’s not in the official guidance/rules. I ran past a group of coppers this morning near the A23, looked as though they were going to set up a checkpoint. Just got a ‘good morning’ nod from them......didn’t ask me how far I was going.......

They’ve just interviewed a guy on the news about the ‘30 minutes’ quote who suggested over an hour is maybe stretching things a bit, but in the context of things getting ‘a bit crowded’ in the cities/built up areas.

I went out for about 2 hours earlier. Saw maybe 10 people in total and didn’t get within 3-4m of any of them. Didn’t touch a single gate, fencepost or anything else apart from my own gate when leaving and returning. Far more risk in my short trip to the shops yesterday.

The problem is, I guess, they can't issue guidelines that say "if you live in the country, then knock yourself out. In the city - not so much."

When I went out at 9:15pm earlier this week I saw only 2 people, but 4 foxes, one of whom did not observe social distancing and got well within 2m of me - I don't think he saw me coming.

One of the runners on Instagram I converse with a lot did 742 shuttle runs in his 10m long back garden today (he used a Garmin and it completely stuffed up the distance BTW) and he reckons if we go as far as France (exercise no more than 2km from your home), he has a 10km trail loop he can do that is just within that at the furthest point.

That had me checking out how far I could go and stick to 2km, and it's actually further than I would have guessed, and does include Cissbury Ring.

(This site helps if you're interested in doing likewise: https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php)

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Blimey - just went for a late afternoon run up Benfield Valley - ended up having to turn back due to a vicious hail storm! Just as well I had a hat, glasses, snood and running tights on or may not have survived (awaits a ‘that’s a summers day in Toronto’ comment from [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION]:whistle:)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The problem is, I guess, they can't issue guidelines that say "if you live in the country, then knock yourself out. In the city - not so much."

When I went out at 9:15pm earlier this week I saw only 2 people, but 4 foxes, one of whom did not observe social distancing and got well within 2m of me - I don't think he saw me coming.

One of the runners on Instagram I converse with a lot did 742 shuttle runs in his 10m long back garden today (he used a Garmin and it completely stuffed up the distance BTW) and he reckons if we go as far as France (exercise no more than 2km from your home), he has a 10km trail loop he can do that is just within that at the furthest point.

That had me checking out how far I could go and stick to 2km, and it's actually further than I would have guessed, and does include Cissbury Ring.

(This site helps if you're interested in doing likewise: https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php)

Having done a few track marathons (and a 6 hour track event), the Velothon and The Amex marathon whilst the likely next level of lockdown (if it happens - listening to the update earlier I didn’t get any sense this was likely) at say 2km would be a bit annoying, I could probably cope.......[emoji23][emoji23] I did a 7m run midweek that incorporated 5m of intervals, and was never more than 2k from home I doubt (a mile warm up to the length of farm track I used, then up and down it about 15 times at varying speeds).

Blimey - just went for a late afternoon run up Benfield Valley - ended up having to turn back due to a vicious hail storm! Just as well I had a hat, glasses, snood and running tights on or may not have survived (awaits a ‘that’s a summers day in Toronto’ comment from [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION]:whistle:)

I got caught in one about 15 mins from home, also as I was running directly into the wind. It was evil (no hat, jacket, hood or snood).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Actually, it's hotter here in the summer than it is in the UK :lolol: However, I don't put tights on unless it's below freezing and a snood comes out on those days it drops to -20C. Ice or hail is the worst though. I don't blame you from wanting to expose as little skin as possible!

It was pissing down here this morning. I was actually supposed to be running a 30k race (Around the Bay) so I'm quite glad that's been cancelled. The sun has just come out, so I'm off for my run now. Shorts and t-shirt :thumbsup:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

The Classics
North - Scott Jurek

Running Training Books

Thanks for that. I can only add my cousin (who was an Olympic athlete) wrote a biography of Otto Peltzer called His Own Man. it’s a pretty interesting read about a top German runner during the rise of the Nazis, he was almost certainly gay and it’s an interesting study of the conflicts of representing your country under an abhorrent regime.

Ona similar note, lots of interesting running related films on You Tube. I watched DPFR (Dark peak fell runners) today which was good. Some of the Banff Film festival films have also been made available which I am going to explore. Any other recommendations?

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Dean Karnazes - Ultramarathon Man. Inspiring.

And "Running Hot and Cold" by Doug Richards. He's a Brighton fan and it was published by Pitch Publishing, a local independent sports publisher endorsed by the likes of Paul Hayward. I'm sure they could use our custom at this time. Not to mention that Doug's sister was my kids' child minder and is one of the sweetest, loveliest people on the planet.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll add them to my list to check out. :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll add them to my list to check out. :thumbsup:

Cool. Doug is most definitely 'one of us'. Not quick but he's run in Antarctica and completed Marathon Des Sables and yet he's probably parkrunned next to some of the people on this thread. His book is totally inspiring as it is at once "wow, this is hardcore" and yet also "I could do that".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports