Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nice Work have had to postpone all of their events as well, which was largely inevitable. I think the only positive justification for this reaction is that if the virus can be halted now, we might get football and all sports back sometime in April.

What I don't understand is why that isn't the point being made publically? The media are covering the story 24/7 so why aren't they/Boris/football trying to pitch the quarantine idea to the general public as - you want sports back?! Quarantine now, let's kick the shit out of Covid-19, stop it in its tracks and then let's get back to the pub, get sports back on the tele, the darts leagues can resume and tennis can begin en masse once more. And as a final kicker, you'll get your parkruns back. You're welcome.

That argument would have got through to me. :lolol: Essentially, work have now mandated anyone with a laptop must stay at home so I'm isolating and looking forward to getting on the Downs for a nice run. I ran 6.75 miles this lunchtime, lovely route on a perfect day for running around.

A big part of me believes that those in charge don't actually know what's going to happen (and I don't blame them, because I can't get my head around the vast majority of it!) and they don't want to make promises they simply cannot keep. Life is going to get worse before it gets better – in all sorts of ways, including the ability to run – and to even have the slightest of chances of what you propose above happening would take EVERYONE to follow the instructions laid out by Johnson and the Experts (great name for a post-Covid-19 band, there). The mere fact that people have trouble putting a shopping trolley back in its home after using it – let alone the footage of the Brits abroad in Benidorm flouting a curfew – mean that will NEVER, EVER happen.

When I was running this morning, I thought that a bribe of free beer/food might work, but probably not...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Nobody knows anything, but everyone is acting like they do. Everyone talks as if they know what's happening and what to do about it. No. Accept that nobody does - I certainly don't. Opinions on how to handle this situation differ wildly, obviously that extends to science and governments too. It seems to me that Boris has turned around completely, whether that's his choice or bowing to pressure from elsewhere, we won't ever know. We have to do what they say, but I repeat a point I made before - it's not unreasonable to be unhappy about the loss of things which are important parts of our life. Running events, football, sport, cinema... you take out the things that people enjoy doing and you're left without very much to do. I spend as much time in the cinema as I do running. Cinema is now gone, football and sport generally is gone. Can I go to the pub and throw some darts? Not recommended. Is it as bad a being drafted for WW1 or WW2? Obviously not - but that's a ridiculous standard and comparison to use anyway. It's not selfish to be disappointed at losing your main pass times. Life carries on and in a year's time (assuming the media have moved on, allowing the rest of the country to do the same) we'll look back on these times with the benefit of hindsight. For right now, it's a pretty poor show.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Nobody knows anything, but everyone is acting like they do. Everyone talks as if they know what's happening and what to do about it. No. Accept that nobody does - I certainly don't. Opinions on how to handle this situation differ wildly, obviously that extends to science and governments too. It seems to me that Boris has turned around completely, whether that's his choice or bowing to pressure from elsewhere, we won't ever know. We have to do what they say, but I repeat a point I made before - it's not unreasonable to be unhappy about the loss of things which are important parts of our life. Running events, football, sport, cinema... you take out the things that people enjoy doing and you're left without very much to do. I spend as much time in the cinema as I do running. Cinema is now gone, football and sport generally is gone. Can I go to the pub and throw some darts? Not recommended. Is it as bad a being drafted for WW1 or WW2? Obviously not - but that's a ridiculous standard and comparison to use anyway. It's not selfish to be disappointed at losing your main pass times. Life carries on and in a year's time (assuming the media have moved on, allowing the rest of the country to do the same) we'll look back on these times with the benefit of hindsight. For right now, it's a pretty poor show.

Wrong thread. Keep it to running please

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not being able to do an event should be the least of anyone's worries - I'm just thankful we can escape the current madness by simply going for a run (some aren't so lucky). The gnashing and wailing on social media from some of the running community is laughable (good example wannabee 100 Marathon Club runners flaming the 100 MC Committee for deciding that nothing counts for the next couple of months, RDs and organisers getting blasted for cancelling events when they clearly have no option etc), it's pathetic.

Use the time (suspect the vast majority of us have far more time on our hands now) to step up your training for when things get back to normal, or simply just throttle back and use it as therapy - either way is great.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not being able to do an event should be the least of anyone's worries - I'm just thankful we can escape the current madness by simply going for a run (some aren't so lucky). The gnashing and wailing on social media from some of the running community is laughable (good example wannabee 100 Marathon Club runners flaming the 100 MC Committee for deciding that nothing counts for the next couple of months, RDs and organisers getting blasted for cancelling events when they clearly have no option etc), it's pathetic.

Use the time (suspect the vast majority of us have far more time on our hands now) to step up your training for when things get back to normal, or simply just throttle back and use it as therapy - either way is great.

Agreed. I was almost in a state of grief when I realised Brighton would be off when I was literally in the form of my life, but the events of the last couple of weeks have made me realise it wasn't grief at all, just annoyance, and that it would be nothing compared to losing a loved one.

I've been struggling a little with mental health these last two days, probably for the first time ever, as I've not really been sleeping. Seeing posts like this, seeing that a strategy is now in place to secure people's finances, realising that working from home is alright actually has cheered me up today. Not turning cartwheels but happier. And the main thing I'm looking forward to is going out tomorrow morning for a good old pootle along the seafront before most people are up, with absolutely no pressure on time, performance or pace.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've been struggling a little with mental health these last two days, probably for the first time ever, as I've not really been sleeping. Seeing posts like this, seeing that a strategy is now in place to secure people's finances, realising that working from home is alright actually has cheered me up today. Not turning cartwheels but happier. And the main thing I'm looking forward to is going out tomorrow morning for a good old pootle along the seafront before most people are up, with absolutely no pressure on time, performance or pace.

There's a lot of it about. My mood ebbs and flows, but I think this has affected me more than anything else I can recall - I could see the enormity of what was approaching, almost in slow motion. I've never been a worrier, nor suffered with anxiety in any way. Nothing ever keeps me awake at night, neither literally nor metaphorically.

Outside time in the fresh air has undoubtedly been the best thing for me, and with the dog I have little choice to be outside 3 or 4 times a day.

I had one of my favourite ever runs yesterday on one of my "dog jogs"- nothing too far - up to Cissbury Ring in the glorious sunshine, not in a rush and stopping to take photos etc. I was on such a high when I got home, that I immediately swapped my trail shoes for a pair of road shoes and did a few more miles on pavement.The effect on my mood was dramatic - all was well with the world again (although it's not - but you get what I mean).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Some people seriously need to get some perspective.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There's a lot of it about. My mood ebbs and flows, but I think this has affected me more than anything else I can recall - I could see the enormity of what was approaching, almost in slow motion. I've never been a worrier, nor suffered with anxiety in any way. Nothing ever keeps me awake at night, neither literally nor metaphorically.

Outside time in the fresh air has undoubtedly been the best thing for me, and with the dog I have little choice to be outside 3 or 4 times a day.

I had one of my favourite ever runs yesterday on one of my "dog jogs"- nothing too far - up to Cissbury Ring in the glorious sunshine, not in a rush and stopping to take photos etc. I was on such a high when I got home, that I immediately swapped my trail shoes for a pair of road shoes and did a few more miles on pavement.The effect on my mood was dramatic - all was well with the world again (although it's not - but you get what I mean).

Absolutely get what you mean - you've just expressed what I was getting at a lot more eloquently. Running has kept me sane through quite a few traumatic times.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
6 miles this morning. Pace all over the place. When I realised my legs were dropping away and my head wasn't cleared I stopped for 5 minutes and just sat on a bench and watched the sea for a bit. It was incredibly calming.

After that I decided to dial the pace right down to avoid further leg fatigue and thoroughly enjoyed the run. It's focussed my brain and the post run buzz has energised me. Highly recommended.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
6 miles this morning. Pace all over the place. When I realised my legs were dropping away and my head wasn't cleared I stopped for 5 minutes and just sat on a bench and watched the sea for a bit. It was incredibly calming.

After that I decided to dial the pace right down to avoid further leg fatigue and thoroughly enjoyed the run. It's focussed my brain and the post run buzz has energised me. Highly recommended.

****ing right. Exercise is so key in these following months.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I just hope people are sensible and don't undertake nudge-nudge-wink-wink "what were the chances of seeing you here?" informal runs at the same time (9am?) on the same day at the same place. Risk of spread is low, but there is still risk.

By all means run - I certainly will be - but do the right thing with it.

I agree that this would be stupid (although like you I expect that some will do it). However, there's a balance to be struck here - I went out for a session yesterday evening with three others. We agreed to keep 2 metres-plus apart throughout, and we did. Had a good session of warm up, intervals, hill sprints and cool down, and I have to say that although most of my runs are now going to be solo, it was good and envigorating to run and chat with others. I don't feel it was irresponsible and it was undoubtedly a lot less risky than the time I spent this morning queueing with the sniffing bog-roll hoarders in Sainsburys.

I will observe social distancing in my life as far as possible (and if I have symptoms, I and the rest of the family will self-isolate as required), but given that nearly all the daily activities which enhance my wellbeing are being ruled out, I intend to continue to get some enjoyment from occasional runs with small groups of similarly-minded responsible adults, while running mainly on my own the rest of the time.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Cycling to work this morning, I don't think I have ever seen so many people out running. Not sure if it is the thought that it may be taken away from us or just that they have time now that they are working from home. Nice to see though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cycling to work this morning, I don't think I have ever seen so many people out running. Not sure if it is the thought that it may be taken away from us or just that they have time now that they are working from home. Nice to see though.

Noticed the same. Gym users maybe switching to the outdoors swelling the usual numbers. Long may it continue.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

I appreciate it's tricky for you particularly, but I'm coming to the view that staying away from CV news and views is essential, watch the 10pm news and you'll learn enough i'd imagine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here