Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Has anyone tried Fourpure ? The guy that is heading it up, used to work in the industry I did, and it is meant to be good quality beer. Built from the ground up in about 12 months. Not actually tried some, but some colleagues had, and said very good beer, and no real hangover after a good session on it.

I am well over-stocked for Xmas, else I'd get a case. Few pubs stocking it, mainly London at the moment.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is the guy who left Dark Star right? Questions mentioned him and I read his blog; I like his style and outlook and as you say one to watch.

I'd watch out for the Burning Sky Saison had a few of them last week and it was a pleasure while drinking....not so good next morning though.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I'd watch out for the Burning Sky Saison had a few of them last week and it was a pleasure while drinking....not so good next morning though.

Which one ? They have a regular Saison and a seasonal. My first impression was I liked the regular, but was not so keen on the autumn version, but I enjoyed it better the second time. I have yet to see the winter version on sale, although I hear it is available.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Which one ? They have a regular Saison and a seasonal. My first impression was I liked the regular, but was not so keen on the autumn version, but I enjoyed it better the second time. I have yet to see the winter version on sale, although I hear it is available.

It was my first sampling of it from Burning Sky so I must assume it is the autumnal version. Lovely flavours and gentle fizz, like I had a marching band in my mouth.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Locally Burning Sky are the brewery to watch, as they have big plans for barrel ageing and blending a number of their beers.

That's from Mark who was at Dark Star. I've had the Plateau a couple of times now and it is a stunning hoppy beer. You would swear it was a biggish 5 abv but it's only 3.5 and just so good. Normally I start on the Kent Pale in my local but after drinking the Plateau I couldn't get off it. Does one beginning with A that I just missed but that has great reviews as well.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It was my first sampling of it from Burning Sky so I must assume it is the autumnal version. Lovely flavours and gentle fizz, like I had a marching band in my mouth.

You certainly did like that. It is the best of the Saisons around though isn't it ?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've come to this thread late, and haven't got the time to trawl through all of it. Beyond that, I prefer to drink wine. Henry Butler has got a rather fine Goose Island Pale Ale, with a green label. I've seen it in The Great Eastern too (which does cracking music on a Friday night). You've probably discusses this earlier but, apart from recommending Dark Star -- coals to Newcastle -- this is the best I can do.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You certainly did like that. It is the best of the Saisons around though isn't it ?

yes lovely stuff, a marching band on your tongue but a Brass band in your head next morning..... I think I have a pink for Friday if there is any still left.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I paid €13.20 for one bottle of Tokyo* last weekend. Worth it though.

:thumbsup: I have a bottle in my fridge; part of the consignment I mentioned in #232

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
yes lovely stuff, a marching band on your tongue but a Brass band in your head next morning..... I think I have a pink for Friday if there is any still left.

It's on as a permanent instead of the Zot and yes if is the autumn variety. Was told the other one is only about 4.5 abv. Popped in with family tonight on way home and the Plateau just went as he poured mine out. Am in Bognor tomorrow night but will catch up on tue no doubt. The Christmas special should be on the bar then.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Time for a lunchtime update from Washington DC. Today I took a walk along H Street, NE, which is going through a bit of a gentrification process and hence an influx of 'hipster' bars and eating joints, dispersed amongs the more traditional barbers shops, nail saloons and fast food eateries.
Anyway I came across a rather splendid place that made a rather tempting range of savoury pies, and also Washington-20131219-00227.jpghad a modest collection of bottled crafts.
I asked for a glass for my Raging Bitch IPA - see what they gave me, the hippsters favourite Pabst glass!!
I owe you all an update from Milwaukee, that can wait until next year as I will be back on several occaisons as have just won a piece of work out there. But I can tell you now there are some real craft gems in Wisconsin.
UTA & UTC - Up The Crafts!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As it's getting near crimbo I thought I would have a rummage in my little beer cellar pantry and see if I could find something a bit spesh. I found a bottle of Leffe 9 which I had missed, trouble was, it was out of date 03/01/11. I used to like these on odd occasions but it was a bit of a bruising taste like girders immersed in Special Brew.

Well imagine my surprise to find that a beer 3 years out of date tastes gorgeous now. Wish I had stashed more.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Live from Craft Beer Co - Thornbridge Bayern to start things; a late hoped pilsner.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I visited The Wick on Sunday, the first time in years. Five pints of Punk IPA later I staggered out and headed to Ganges for a curry that I don't particularly remember.

What a lovely pint. I shall return.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here