Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Right, I need your help NSC beer monsters.

I want to take a couple of dozen cans of decent beer to Glasto, in the 4-5% range. Some need to be blonde beer as that's what my missus goes for. I need to be able to pick them up in the Brighton/Lewes area tomorrow.

What and where would you recommend?

Cheers!

PG

Trafalgar Wines probably has the best selection of Craft Beer in Brighton, though there's a number of other decent bottle shops in town these days.

However, I don't know my blonde beers that well. Steve at Trafalgar Wines is very knowledgeable and happy to help. I'm sure they'll be some input here as well.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
de2d389c7516a0c46fd8ffc5fbafd1c3_320x320.jpg

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Trafalgar Wines probably has the best selection of Craft Beer in Brighton, though there's a number of other decent bottle shops in town these days.

However, I don't know my blonde beers that well. Steve at Trafalgar Wines is very knowledgeable and happy to help. I'm sure they'll be some input here as well.

Beavertown Neck Oil
Beavertown Gamma Ray
Dark Star APA
Dark Star Revelation
Magic Rock High Wire
Magic Rock High Wire Grapefruit

all available in cans

also: http://tinyurl.com/Mikkeller-Cans-are-here

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Right, I need your help NSC beer monsters.

I want to take a couple of dozen cans of decent beer to Glasto, in the 4-5% range. Some need to be blonde beer as that's what my missus goes for. I need to be able to pick them up in the Brighton/Lewes area tomorrow.

What and where would you recommend?

Cheers!

PG

Brighton bier could be your guys. The offie on Trafalgar St has got a tidy selection of craft cans. Load up on Magic Rock High Wire with grapefruit would be my advice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Being Sussex Day and all last Thursday, I picked myself up a couple of cans of Dark Star APA. For me it didn't quite work in can form, at least not as well as other beers.

A word of caution on the Magic Rock grapefruit one - it's ridiculously easy drinking and you can put it away like squash, so be wary!!!!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Went into a pub in Worcester the other day, had an excellent pint of Dark Star, couldn't believe our luck having gone all that way. Had an impressive couple of local ales, names escape me, and finished off with a local cloudy cider ... why I don't know, but I did!

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Hear ye, Hear ye, Hear ye!

Go and find some 'Betty and the Gardens' fine ale form the Ayr Brewing Company...5.2% sumptuous blonde ale..well worth seeking out and sinking......

I have quite a few on Saturday and will be doing likewise this weekend......

TNBA

TTF

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
The micro pub down the road from me has currently got Magic Rock High Wire with grapefruit on tap at the moment. Suffice to say I've not spent many evenings in this weekend...

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Owner of Magic Rock on radio today saying how cost of importing hops will increase after Brexit and will put money on a pint.
I will not comment but where is Herr Tubthumper?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Being Sussex Day and all last Thursday, I picked myself up a couple of cans of Dark Star APA. For me it didn't quite work in can form, at least not as well as other beers.

A word of caution on the Magic Rock grapefruit one - it's ridiculously easy drinking and you can put it away like squash, so be wary!!!!

I really don't think the Dark Star APA is what it was. It used to be maybe my favourite pint but it isn't the same as years gone by. It's not just me who thinks that btw, a lot of our crowd still like it but it's not the same or maybe others have come through and my taste buds have changed. There were a lot of changes at Dark Star a while back with their brewers.

Jul 7, 2003
The micro pub down the road from me has currently got Magic Rock High Wire with grapefruit on tap at the moment. Suffice to say I've not spent many evenings in this weekend...

Magic Rock's Salty Kiss is one of my favourite beers. Quite a few places stock their stuff now which is great news.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Had a great session last week at the Piccadilly Tap in Manchester. Seems like a brewhouse type vibe, seems to be an old shop.

Had a couple of schooners of salty kiss which resulted in an order from Beerhawk using my 10% off + £10 credit from Amex

D

Deleted member 2719

The Remain bitter, leaves an after taste that just keeps recurring it really is full of gas.
Time to pour it down the sink as much as it hurts.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If anyone is interested in Brewdog This is Lager, they are discontinuing the beer to be replaced with something else. Currently selling boxes of 24 - for £24 inc delivery. They are also giving the 20% discount for share or bond holders which takes it down to 80p a bottle delivered which is very decent.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wedding anniversary and have had a few cheeky crafts:

Brewdog Ace of Chinook Single Hop Session IPA
Fraulin Brauer Perlestrand
Delirium Nocturne
(Pause for Japanese meal: Kirin lager and sake followed by big red wine)
Brewdog Dead Pony

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Remain bitter, leaves an after taste that just keeps recurring it really is full of gas.
Time to pour it down the sink as much as it hurts.

Oh the irony of you bothering to come on this thread and post this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been travelling around the glorious continent we call Europe and here's a few highlights:

Brussels-I visited the century old family owned Cantillon Gueuze brewery and had a tour of their facility and a beer tasting. It was fascinating to hear their history, struggles, reemergence and also see the wild yeast fermentation process. If you like sours this is for you.

Brussels-Brussels Beer Project. Spent an afternoon literally in their brewery next to the tanks drinking numerous beers and chatting to the owners. This is a new and modern brewery throwing Belgian brewing history out the window and embracing 21st century ideas. I was particularly interested in how a collaboration with The Editors* came about and how the resulting beer was inspired and had the process fully explained.

Ibiza-Ibosim Craft. The White Isle's only craft brewery. I've been following this outlets progress for a few years and first had their ramshackle beers with a home made label which ran when condensation formed on the bottle two years back. They're now a professional brewery with a bar and brew house facility and their beers are now making it onto mainland Spain. Their porter is one of the best I've had.

* band I don't care much about but they're huge in Belgium

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here