Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looking forward to a few this evening. Have a Kernel IPA, a 660ml bottle of Punk IPA and a Holy Hopping Hell in the fridge. Will have a stop off at the Star and probably Craft as well.

Good start to the weekend.

I'm really into the Kernel brewery. Their IPAs are wonderful. I have a stout of theirs in my fridge for home time. Plus a Weird Beard Decadent Stout. Plus a few others.

I had a Rogue Brewery Dead Guy Ale the other day. It's a US take on the traditional German Maibock style. Can recommend it highly. Great balance between malt sweetness, bitterness and hops.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm really into the Kernel brewery. Their IPAs are wonderful. I have a stout of theirs in my fridge for home time. Plus a Weird Beard Decadent Stout. Plus a few others.

I had a Rogue Brewery Dead Guy Ale the other day. It's a US take on the traditional German Maibock style. Can recommend it highly. Great balance between malt sweetness, bitterness and hops.

Ooooh, I've only gone for the hoppy Wierd Bierd stuff (Holy Hopping Hell, 5 o'clock shadow) you'd reccomend the Decadent Stout would you?

Kernel are a mssively underrated brewery. Steve always has plenty of bottles in Trafalgar Wines and it's very often on at THe Star, though it is quite pricy normally - £3 for a half.

I'll see if I can pick up a bottle of that Herr T, sounds lovely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ooooh, I've only gone for the hoppy Wierd Bierd stuff (Holy Hopping Hell, 5 o'clock shadow) you'd reccomend the Decadent Stout would you?

Kernel are a mssively underrated brewery. Steve always has plenty of bottles in Trafalgar Wines and it's very often on at THe Star, though it is quite pricy normally - £3 for a half.

I'll see if I can pick up a bottle of that Herr T, sounds lovely.

Yes the Decadent Stout is 5% and has an initial cream/milk/oat taste which quickly gives way to bitter and subtle chocolate. I normally prefer stronger heavier stouts but this is lovely. Comes in a 500ml bottle as well which is handy for me and my shipments.

Agree about Kernel. Very underrated. They have a tasting day at their brewery on Saturdays. I'm itching to get to one of these.

Enjoy Craft and The Star tonight. Last time I was in The Star I had a great, although somewhat drunken on my behalf, chat with the Esben fella and a stunning Brewing by Numbers Nelson Sauvin Saison. I'm pleased they have almost met the pledge target.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Enjoy Craft and The Star tonight. Last time I was in The Star I had a great, although somewhat drunken on my behalf, chat with the Esben fella and a stunning Brewing by Numbers Nelson Sauvin Saison. I'm pleased they have almost met the pledge target.

Is that the rather expensive bottle?

He's a lovely guy and knows his beer. They are off to record very shortly as I understand.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Purchased a six pack of Fat Weasel Pale Ale from my local Trader Joe's for a very reasonable 9 bucks. Really like this stuff - light and lively with a hint of citrus, perfect for quaffing in the warmer weather.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Popped into the new Hop & Vine at Fiveways which opened yesterday.
Interesting range of keg beer. From memory there's a couple of Meantimes, a Freedom, another I've forgotten and two Long Man casks.
Nice bottle range but pretty much what you'd expect these days. Punk IPA, Veddtt type of stuff.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I had a really nice local light IPA last night from Naked called Streaker (they are based in Lancing I think.)

Only 4% but a really big flavour, I think they are going to be in Trafalgar Wines sson for around £1.50 a 330 ml bottle. Would make an outstanding session beer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had a disastrous evening after the football. Popped into The Evening Star to try the Brodie's Bacon IPA and just missed last orders. Knowing Craft Beer Co closed in 25 mins I elected to go to The Albert. My eyes lit up when I saw Burning Sky on tap. They made two attempts to pour me a beer and it was very cloudy but I had spotted Meantime London Pale also on tap. I retired to the yard and began supping a weak and slightly weird tasting Meantime beer. **** knows that they did to that final pint.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The Duke of Wellington had this little beauty on draught last week, for the Beltane Beer Festival. Did anyone else try it ?

Chilli_Plum_Porter-1375357940.png

I tries the Titanic Plum Porter last year up at Nottingham and loved it. This works equally as well, with a feint afterburn. Plum porter just sounds so wrong, but for me at least it seems to work.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Meeting someone at the snowdrop later for lunch. Will i have something from burning sky or something different? Choices, choices.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Had a disastrous evening after the football. Popped into The Evening Star to try the Brodie's Bacon IPA and just missed last orders. Knowing Craft Beer Co closed in 25 mins I elected to go to The Albert. My eyes lit up when I saw Burning Sky on tap. They made two attempts to pour me a beer and it was very cloudy but I had spotted Meantime London Pale also on tap. I retired to the yard and began supping a weak and slightly weird tasting Meantime beer. **** knows that they did to that final pint.

That's odd HT. I had the final pint of Burning sky in the Albert before they gave up. It looked like scrumpy. It tasted ok... Just. We must have been practically standing alongside each other. Got my mate the Hastings blonde and another the porter.
We often go to the Prince George beforehand and their BS was spot on. They had the Dark star original on and that is a quality drop.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Meeting someone at the snowdrop later for lunch. Will i have something from burning sky or something different? Choices, choices.

The Snowdrop have a great choice of ale and ciders, the Burning Sky is probably the worst pint i've had in there

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's odd HT. I had the final pint of Burning sky in the Albert before they gave up. It looked like scrumpy.

Also, it was the bar lady, after consulting the bar man, who refused to serve the beer. It wasn't me rejecting it. No big deal in itself; more a reflection of my overall evening.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Apparently according to my local landlady, Mark Tranter had a huge amount of interest and pre- orders before he had even made his beers, Plateau top of the list. You normally have to prove yourself but I think his reputation with Dark Star had certain preceded all that waiting to see malarkey.
Not everyone in our crowd is as mad on it as I am but at 3.5 abv it is ridiculously tasty and great for a session. I wouldn't care to guess how many I drank yesterday but today I feel fine although why I came home with 2 road cones I'm not sure. Must have wanted them for something.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The Duke of Wellington had this little beauty on draught last week, for the Beltane Beer Festival. Did anyone else try it ?

View attachment 53561

I tries the Titanic Plum Porter last year up at Nottingham and loved it. This works equally as well, with a feint afterburn. Plum porter just sounds so wrong, but for me at least it seems to work.
I bloody missed that festival weekend and am still pissed off about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here