Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's heavenly but unless you are prepared to sit on a phone line for days upon end to get through and order your crate and then drive to the monastery and pick it up you won't be having any HT.

Was it worth it when we did it ? Of course it bloody was.

Cheers. I have been frequenting a Belgian bar in Berlin and they owner has a great selection of beers and he guides the novice Tubthumper through the different styles. Early days for me but I'm enjoying them. I am particularly taken by La Chouffe Houblon which is a Double IPA tripel.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Right, all these recent posts have made me really thirsty, so I'm off to Whole Foods now to get some supplies - not sure what yet, may even take the growler for an outing.

I do enjoy this thread, even the odd bit of falling out - nothing wrong in that so long as it stays focused on the topic. And even among the true 'crafters' on here there are different reasons for getting into it craft. What I like is it gets you to try different styles in the tasting room/living room. All good. A few years ago, HT, enjoying an Imperial Stout, unlikely - and today getting reaquainted with cask - marvellous!

Living as I do in the US, without Craft beer, I'd be stuck with the unthinkable mass produced rubbish, or rely on imports. I do miss cask ale, always was my no.1 choice, and I do get excited when I find it (rarely) over here.

Anyway each to his own.

Very true.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Cheers. I have been frequenting a Belgian bar in Berlin and they owner has a great selection of beers and he guides the novice Tubthumper through the different styles. Early days for me but I'm enjoying them. I am particularly taken by La Chouffe Houblon which is a Double IPA tripel.

I love The N'ice Chouffe...... Although I always think it sounds rude when I order one. I'm looking forward to our June trip for a stag do. The youngsters will undoubtably be drinking Vedett and Juliper but us beer bores will be in our element.
A Westveleteren on a cold, dark night takes some beating although the Rochforte 10 which although seems ridiculously strong at 11.3 is equally superb.

Boll ox, I'm going to go and get one from the beer fridge....... You're bloody fault this.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Enrest will be eyeing your sausage from his pew in the Cliftonville.

View attachment 51356View attachment 51357View attachment 51358View attachment 51359View attachment 51360

1) The black hoody guys from Rollberg. These non-conformist chaps are a law unto themselves and interestingly their 'our terms only' attitude has made them one of the leading craft brewers in town.
2) A cheeky cheese break; and a sly red wine to go with it.
3) This bloke had a sausage stand and spent all afternoon shouting 'good food, good drink' whilst he glugged the ale from the adjacent stand. He was swaying and slurring and still shouting and also ringing a bell when I left. Quite a character.
4) Black Flag porter from the excellent Schoppe Brau. This guy made a lovely dry-hopped lager last summer.
5) Sausage break.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I am a long time fan of La Chouffe. Always seem to be a little apart from the main Belgian scene and yet always seem to produce excellent beers.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think it means different things to different people DKM. The first big hitter and maybe the start of it all in the U.S. Was Sierra Nevada but would they be classed as a craft brewer now ? - who supposedly are meant to brew in smallish batches but with quality in mind over bland mass production. Nevada though brew lakes of their Pale. Have they left the craft scene ? I still think of them a craft brewer. I tend to think of the word craft meaning..... A skill, an ability, an insight into the brewing process with some sort of imagination. So we can rule out Budweisser and the like.

Cheers for that Mr Q. I am genuinely confused by the term "craft" but if it means an innovative, quality, tasty beer then I understand. I love the new pubs and different breweries and beers. We are living in a golden age for beer that is for sure.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I also find that the glass is almost as important in my enjoyment as the beer. It sounds daft - but the Belgians have it sussed with apparently a glass for every beer. If I have made an effort with my beer purchase I feel it deserves a decent glass.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I also find that the glass is almost as important in my enjoyment as the beer. It sounds daft - but the Belgians have it sussed with apparently a glass for every beer. If I have made an effort with my beer purchase I feel it deserves a decent glass.

There are many types of glass for Belgian beers all based on tradition and presentation and taste, but they are all pretty much one of about 6 different designs. It does look classy though when you get a look at them, The Chimay is a classic as is the Westmalle chalice, Kwak is served in what looks like a mini yard of ale in a wooden frame. Just off to Belgium in the morning for some assorted monk juice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cheers for that Mr Q. I am genuinely confused by the term "craft" but if it means an innovative, quality, tasty beer then I understand. I love the new pubs and different breweries and beers. We are living in a golden age for beer that is for sure.

It general, and to most people, I feel it implies as you suggest innovative quality tasty beer. And the beer is mainly but not always from a keg. It has some anomalies and some inconsistencies as most definitions do. But, pop into a decent craft beer pub, get stuck in and it will soon start to name some sense.

You are absolutely spot on about this being a golden age for brewing though. And the UK is doing incredibly well.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Thought I'd slip in a quick offering from my Beerbod box and am now trying A Wolf from the Allendale brewery of Northumberland . Although described as a deep bodied red beer (ruby) it is a bit more than that. Nice dry chocolate finish using Williamette hops (?) brings it almost into the Porter category. 5.5 abv . Not a ruby fan usually but this is nice.
Cheers.

Just read up that the Williamette is an American version of the English Fuggle hop.

I haven't been disappointed with these Beerbod offerings all in all.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Big Week here in Washington DC

http://www.churchkeydc.com/documents/CKUpcomingevents2014.pdf

I first thought the British are coming was yet another reference to the 50th anniversary of the first US Beatles concert here in DC. But it's all about beer.

I'm really looking forward to trying the Heavy Seas casks later today, one of my favorite local brewers.

Churck Key is a fine place, and should be on any list of attractions for visitors to this fine city.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Big Week here in Washington DC

http://www.churchkeydc.com/documents/CKUpcomingevents2014.pdf

I first thought the British are coming was yet another reference to the 50th anniversary of the first US Beatles concert here in DC. But it's all about beer.

I'm really looking forward to trying the Heavy Seas casks later today, one of my favorite local brewers.

Churck Key is a fine place, and should be on any list of attractions for visitors to this fine city.

I went to Church Key when I was last in DC, very impressed with the place and selection of brews. NYC Beer Week kicks off tomorrow - so many events, so little time…………….

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to Church Key when I was last in DC, very impressed with the place and selection of brews. NYC Beer Week kicks off tomorrow - so many events, so little time…………….

Nice one. Tubthumper Beer Weekend has just kicked off and we are live from Craft Beer Co, home of the 2nd cheapest pint in Brighton, and I was super psyched to see Stone and the much talked about Burning Sky. His Saison L'Hiver is to die for.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Beware the burning-sky-saison-a-la-provision though HT.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nice one. Tubthumper Beer Weekend has just kicked off and we are live from Craft Beer Co, home of the 2nd cheapest pint in Brighton, and I was super psyched to see Stone and the much talked about Burning Sky. His Saison L'Hiver is to die for.

I popped into The Evening Star on the way back to my guest house and inspired by Burning Sky's saison I tried the Brewing By Numbers Saison Nelson Sauvin and then had a Dark Star Imperial Stout. The former was excellent...dont recall much about the second though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm going to go down to the Wandering Goose in Worthing tonight. Despite living in Worthing, its rare for me to drink here, and have been meaning to try and go for a pint or 2, in this fine, craft beer supporting establishment since it opened. The landlord has been putting a bit of effort into social media, and from what I hear, is quite often rammed on a Friday+Saturday, so hoping some good beers on tonight!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've absolutely loved reading through this thread today, thanks for all the reccomendations. I'm now trying to decide whether it's Craft Beer Co or The Evening Star this evening. I think I might pop my head in at the Star and keep my fingers crosed they have Burning Sky Plateau or Aurora on and take it from there.

Interesting news about the Wick doing brewdog on draft. I may have to have a look at some point.

Keep up the good work all, this is one of the best threads on here.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Did they have either of the Burning Sky handpumps on? Plateau or Aurora?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm going to go down to the Wandering Goose in Worthing tonight. Despite living in Worthing, its rare for me to drink here, and have been meaning to try and go for a pint or 2, in this fine, craft beer supporting establishment since it opened. The landlord has been putting a bit of effort into social media, and from what I hear, is quite often rammed on a Friday+Saturday, so hoping some good beers on tonight!

That's my first port of call tonight. The Brewdog is hopefully on and Mrs Q likes the Meantime lager. The Burning Sky beers are often on in the Selden as well. Which is my second port of call.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here