Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official: Leeds to go out of business

Dandyman

In London village.
Message further down

"Inland revenue shud be ashamed of themselves."

Should they!?

No, they should be proud that they are standing up to a lying, thieving, scumbag like Bates.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They WERE deducted 10 points. Just that they timed it perfectly as they were already down anyway.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Inland Revenue should demand full payment or at least 75p in the pound.

We all pay our taxes why should Leeds F......g United and MisterBates get away with it.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I don't want Leeds to go under but want to see Bates out of football altogether.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
rest assured bates will be telling everyone who will listen that its his way or the highway, very worrying times for leeds fans

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I think that had Bates and Co offered the Inland Revenue 8p in the first place they might have got away with it but 1p was clearly taking the piss. As far as it goes it would be a great thing if everybody turned round and said 'Sorry Mr Inland Revenue I got myself into debt by spending money I did not have so therefore I can only pay you 1% of what I owe'.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I still think that Bates will come out of this smelling of roses, not so certain about Leeds though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
PAYE is deducted by the employer on behalf of the employee as a matter of TRUST and that money is owed to the Revenue by the club...all of it, not 8p in the pound or 99p in the pound...all of it.

I worked in a company that had difficulty paying PAYE over and the Revenue ended up going for the employees.

It was a very extreme way of doing it, but it certainly focussed minds.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Is that right?

Surely they can't go after someone for money they never had in the first place?

I thought that sounded odd too - although if the company had never collected the PAYE in the first place then the IR should go after the employees, although if they had collected it and the employees owned the company then the employees would be liable...couldn't think of anyway else they'd go after them...

This Leeds business sounds rather like Bates (and/or his advisors) have been trying to play the system and lost big time. You make money you pay taxes - its quite a simple system to be honest, you can only delay/offset paying tax for so long and it will always catch up with you.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Is that right?

Surely they can't go after someone for money they never had in the first place?

Is the correct answer.

The only way that HMRC could go for the employees is if there was a fraud taking place, and even so, it would be the directors rather than the shop floor staff that they would pursue.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is the correct answer.

The only way that HMRC could go for the employees is if there was a fraud taking place, and even so, it would be the directors rather than the shop floor staff that they would pursue.

from what I can remember it was a long time ago, was that the company "employed" contractors. At the time, the contractors were paid net, ie had the tax deducted and the company paid over the tax deducted.

the records were very poor and when the company had a "visit" from the revenue( following a VAT vist during which it was discovered that they were double claiming VAT - on certificate and invoice!!!!), the revenue used the ruling that as the company could not prove it had deducted "tax" ( they did not accept a deduction on a piece of paper as evidence) then in effect they had paid the empoyees "gross". I cant remember the outcome as I was made redundant from them as it all hit ( thank God) but I do recall mates contacting me having to remortgage to pay their tax!!!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Oh dear Bates - you messed up bad-style.

Should have paid the revenue before going into administration. Then you'd have got away with your 1p in the pound for the other 27million

What a dunce :dunce:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bates has deliberately misled people with his statement about how much tax Leeds had paid to the Revenue. As I've said on earlier threads this was PAYE deducted from employees wages, not taxes generated by Leeds.

I do feel genuinely sorry for the Leeds fans out there. Football is also the loser because whether you like them or not Leeds are a club with a rich history and were the most consistent side in England for 10 years in the 60s and 70s.

It is amazing that men like Bates are allowed to take control of a club without some form of "Fit and proper" test being applied, i.e. access to sufficient capital to service the debts taken on.

Let's not forget that Chelsea weren't far off going out of business before Abramovich came along to save the day. The FA have to get a grip of this.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well Mr Bates is certainly finding out ther hard way - don\'t f*** with the Inland Revenue.

Its one thing to shaft a few two-bob creditors and then try to palm them off with some pissy offer of a penny in the pound...but its quite another to try to rip off the TREASURY and expect to get away with it. Especially after gobbing off to all and sundry about it somehow all being the Inland Revenues FAULT in the first place !

Bates has SO had this coming. And the fact that that dispicable, odious little PRICK Denis Wise is going down with this as well only makes it all the more delicious. Sorry, but I\'m LOVING this. It truley couldn\'t happen to a more deserving club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here