Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***** official formula 1 2012 thread *****

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
With just over 2 weeks until the start of the 2012 FIA Formula 1 World Championship, I have to say am looking forward to seeing how this year will pan out. Seems a shame that to watch the entire season live, one has to subscribe to Sky, especially given the quality BBC coverage over the last few years, but needs must I guess, and at least it isnt on itv.....

So hw do you thnk the season will pan out? Will Vettel claim a hat trick of titles? Is Alonso a true threat given the slightly lacklustre performance of Ferrari so far in pre season testing? Will Hamilton stop hitting Massa and other cars and find his happy place to show the world that he is the only driver good enough to go toe to toe with Vettel? And who will b the surprise of this year?

Personally, I think that the title will be between Vettel & Lewis, but Jenson and Alonso won't be too far away....also think that the Force Indias could be a threat, and who can discount the return of the Iceman, Kimi Raikonnen?

Thoughts please

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
Was ironic that some of the actual racing last year was the best it's ever been...except for the same guy winning every race! Was getting really bored of that Austrian national anthem that just seemed to on forever.....here's hoping that McLaren get their act together this year...at least the have the best looking car by far already

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
i think it will be closer this year. it'll be between vettel and the two mclarens i think. lotus renault should do better especially with the return of kimi, although i'm still to be convinced by bruno senna. i haven't seen anything from him to show that he should have got the seat over adrian sutil.

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
Senna was class in gp2...never really had the chance to show what he can do in F1, hoping that the Williams is a better car than last year!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Looking forward to the season, especially SKY's dedicated HD channel. Plenty of opportunity to go into great detail and behind the scenes along with in depth coverage.

I'm genuinely surprised that SKY are not increasing the subscription rates to watch this channel. Although they will get us back eventually!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I can't call it until I see some of the teams testing results but I think Vettel is deservedly the one to beat again this year. I hope McLaren are going to be stronger this year, and Hamilton with another year of "growing up" will find some form, Button for me is the dark horse to watch and Raikkonen isn't at a strong enough team to challenge for the drivers title.

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
Looking forward to the season, especially SKY's dedicated HD channel. Plenty of opportunity to go into great detail and behind the scenes along with in depth coverage.

I'm genuinely surprised that SKY are not increasing the subscription rates to watch this channel. Although they will get us back eventually!

They will charge eventually....just want to sucker us in first and dazzle us with their coverage! The fact they can dedicate a whole channel speaks volumes, and they are also covering the gp2 and gp3 races live, which is a onus (even if the missus doesnt think so!)

D

Deleted member 2719

To all those saying that Hamilton was going to whip Jensons arse last year.

Wrong.

:bigwave:

Come on jenson show Mr Cock how to drive fast ON THE RACE CIRCUIT again.

:banana:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Will be a shame not to be able to watch some of the races but cannot spend any more money on the TV package :(

Anyway.....Alonso :thumbsup:

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
Senna was class in gp2...never really had the chance to show what he can do in F1, hoping that the Williams is a better car than last year!

oops. knowledge fail on my behalf there! i forgot he'd gone to williams!

to your point though, maldondo won gp2 in 2010 and he hasn't exactly set the world on fire in f1

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
To all those saying that Hamilton was going to whip Jensons arse last year.

Wrong.

:bigwave:

Come on jenson show Mr Cock how to drive fast ON THE RACE CIRCUIT again.

:banana:

One thing I will never understand is the obsession in this country to dislike one or the other, why can't people just like them both? They are the two of the most talented racing drivers this country has ever produced and people insist on having to dislike one. This is not entirely aimed at you but all the others who do exactly the same. Certainly going to an interesting year. I personally do have a feeling about Hamilton this season, just a feeling however, get the feeling it could be a lot tighter this year!

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
oops. knowledge fail on my behalf there! i forgot he'd gone to williams!

to your point though, maldondo won gp2 in 2010 and he hasn't exactly set the world on fire in f1

True...although he did well at Monaco until his tangle with Lewis...let's face it, dog sick goes faster than the Williams did last year!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whilst hoping Jenson and Lewis are front runners, I have the feeling that an improved Mercedes will thrust Shumacher and Rosberg more into the mix this season. Really hope the Red Bull is not the class of the field again, as I have an irrational dislike of Vettell and Webber is not good enough to challenge him.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I hope Mclaren have a more competitive car this year but fear it will be all too easy for Vettel again. I hope Di Resta shows more of that early potential too. I wonder how 'Caterham' will do?

Will be interesting to see how Sky approach the TV coverage 'cos the BBC didn't do a bad job.

In the meantime for real racing you can't beat the World Superbikes, the 2012 season started last weekend with plenty of British interest at the front of the field, a Brit on pole for the first race and Brits taking several places in the top 6. Brave boys.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We desperately need the Red Bull to be back to the pack this season, as another non-contest like last years title was will do a lot of harm to the viewing figures IMHO. It was a real shame because teh racing behind Vettel last year was superb, but when the winner was already away and clear, the excitement was severely limited.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Not looking forward to sky's coverage tbh. Their coverage of sports is at a much lower level of quality to that of the bbc, their only advantage is they've monopolised the sport so they have nearly everything (This will change with Al Jazeera). You can see it with the golf, it used to be far superior on the BBC, on sky it is horrific. F1 will be the same, the format that BB had adopted since they regained the rights was excellent, sky will not be able to replicate this and will make it less of a spectacle. On the upside, at least the beeb have Monaco and Silverstone.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
You can see it with the golf, it used to be far superior on the BBC, on sky it is horrific. .

In part. The US Majors are badly covered but this is because the feed is from yank TV which is obsessed with Woods even now and has adverts every 5 seconds. The Masters last year I thought was better on Sky for Monty's thoughts rather than listening to Alliss banging on and on on the BBC - The back 9 of the major is tense sporting stuff which the BBC dumbs down to the Peter Aliss request show

''Can I say a personal hello to Albert Coffin dodge. He is 80 years young and the grand old fella has just had his spleen removed but Doris his wife says he is doing well. He has only passed blood twice today which is an improvement after his fingers and toes all fell off yesterday. The grand kids have come to see him to make sure they are in the will. Anyway, Mcilroy has just got this 6 footer for the Masters''

Sky will throw the kitchen sink this year at F1. No adverts. No Jonathan Legard. No Eddie Jordan. Crofts, Brundle and some totty in. What's not to like?*

*Other than the monthly subscriptions

D

Deleted member 2719

One thing I will never understand is the obsession in this country to dislike one or the other, why can't people just like them both? They are the two of the most talented racing drivers this country has ever produced and people insist on having to dislike one. This is not entirely aimed at you but all the others who do exactly the same. Certainly going to an interesting year. I personally do have a feeling about Hamilton this season, just a feeling however, get the feeling it could be a lot tighter this year!

It's not really that people have to dislike one it's just IMO one is likeable and one is not i suppose i liken it to Albion and Palace do you like them both???
For the record i can't see Hamilton doing any worse than last year and if he does mc Claren should ditch him cos he would have learned sweet FA.
Bring it on and may the best driver win.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Jenson & Lewis to take points off each other in McLaren's strong races, leaving Vettel to take the crown?

Having said that, I wouldn't be happy to see team orders and J&L battling each other could be great to watch. I just hope McLaren's new car is battling from Race 1 and, despite supporting the English guys, wouldn't complain one bit if Ferrari and/or Mercedes were up the front making it a 6/8-way battle...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here