**Official England Squad News**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carrick going instead of Adam Johnson is as bad as Theo denying Defoe a place four years ago. Theo's a lovely chap and doesn't deserve schadenfreude, but Defoe will almost certainly feel a glint of revenge. There's always one wrong decision. Warnock deserves it ahead of Baines, although that doesn't make Carragher's inclusion any less confusing. Lennon is really wound up at the moment, think he could be the surprise star.

Carrick is clearly going as backup to Barry. While I think Milner could play alongside Lampard against the weaker teams (such as in the opening game against USA, if Barry isn't fit), I wouldn't want him there against the top quality teams we will (hopefully!) come up against in the latter stages of the tournament as I don't think his defensive instincts are good enough. If Barry breaks down, then Carrick can play in his position (albeit not as well as Barry).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3530396 said:
Agree with you about experience but one exciting wildcard entry is always a must - the unknown element can be a useful weapon against opponents, think Lennon at the last world cup.

Can't see Joke Hole doing much when he's puffed out in the dying minutes of a game, he's got no pace or left foot at the best of times.

For me, Johnson just hasn't done enough though. Still looks a bit lightweight and green. He'll be worth a sniff in the 2012 qualifiers, but pitching him into a World Cup Finals would be asking too much of him imo. SWP, Lennon and J Cole are all well ahead of him for a wide berth.

As for Cashley having no left foot and no pace - not quite sure we're talking about the same player there. He's up and down the line for the 90 whenever I've seen him. He's a colossal TIT, obviously, but he's a damn good leftback to have raiding down the wing.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I don't mean to pick on your post in particular (there have been several others saying the same) but I don't understand this SWP dislike. Whenever I've seen him play for England I've been pretty impressed. Certainly when he came off the bench on Sunday he looked keen, worked hard (I remember him creating a counter attack by doggedly chasing down a couple of lucky rebounds at one point) and was more involved than either Lennon or Walcott had been.
I've nothing against SWP in particular, just think if you base selection on this season's form, then he is lucky to go if you compare that to Johnson's. Yes he looked OK on Sunday amid a field of English dross but could hardly do worse than the hapless Walcott or out of form Lennon. Johnson is the form player, SWP is not. Johnson has more guile to his game and of course is one of the few left footed players we have. That's why I would have taken him over SWP.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
How can Wright-Phillips be way ahead of Johnson when he is (rightly) being kept out of the City team by him?

Wright-Phillips is a very ordinary player who offers nothing different from our first choice right-winger. Baffling selection.

At least Cole is in though.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
How can Wright-Phillips be way ahead of Johnson when he is (rightly) being kept out of the City team by him?

Wright-Phillips is a very ordinary player who offers nothing different from our first choice right-winger. Baffling selection.

I couldn't have said it better myself & how he gets in over Walcott baffles me. Getting Splinters in your arse at Man City now makes you a more attractive England prospect than playing often or playing in the champions league for the third best team in the country

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

:clap2:Spot on mate. Walcott would have been a better impact player and Johnson would have been a better option as a starter. I don't rate SWP one bit. In case some people hadn't guessed.:censored:

I should add that I would also have taken Johnson, but in place of Upson.

I also think that whether it was Johnson or SWP, they were competing for a place on the subs bench. It may be that the fact that SWP is more of an 'impact' player (i.e. faster) has had a bearing on this selection.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
For those bewildered at Walcotts omission and SWP's inclusion - what exacly has Walcott done to justify being in the 23, other than a hattrick 18 months ago ?

SWP is by no means the perfect answer, but he has similar pace to Walcott coupled with a greater workrate, and for me he is more of a goal threat than Walcott. There's not MUCH to choose between them granted, they both struggle with consistancy for the end product. But between the two, I think Capello has made the right choice.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
Why do we need Walcott when we're taking Lennon? Lennon is just as quick but can actually cross. As for SWP getting in the squad I think the 2nd half against Japan showed why he got in over Walcott. Says it all when Walcott starts 2 friendlies and doesn't do much, SWP was only on for a half and looked much more dangerous than Walcott.

I agree with most of the squad however Walcott should easily be in there ahead of SWP. Remember him coming off the bench against Barcelona for Arsenal at the Emirates and scarring the living shit out of them? He may not be a starter but he is and would have been the player of the bench that can make an impact. Will Defoe,Heskey or SWP make more of a difference in the dying embers of a game than Walcott? f*** NO!!!

The inclusion of Upson over Dawson also puzzles me. Well maybe not puzzle as he started many qualifying games yet if Carragher had made himself available or if King was fit would he have been there? NO. Dawson is the better defender and it would have been a real good thing to have had the option of a Premier League club pairing at CB together. Also Upson is shit! Even Soul Campbell would have been a better option. Dawson is certainly the better player and in form.

Anyway from what Cappello has picked this would be my team:

.................................James...................................
Johnson............Ferdinand...........Terry............Cole.....
......................Barry................Carrick.....................

......Lennon................Lampard..................Gerrard

..............................Rooney..............................

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Anyway from what Cappello has picked this would be my team:

.................................James...................................
Johnson............Ferdinand...........Terry............Cole.....
......................Barry................Carrick.....................

......Lennon................Lampard..................Gerrard

..............................Rooney..............................

Thank Christ you're not picking the team, then!

Carrick should be no-one NEAR starting, and nor will he be if Barry is fit.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Thank god Walcott will be no where near our squad in South Africa

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Still can't believe we have a better back up right back than Carragher.

I would have taken Adam Johnson instead of SWP, reckon Johnson would have been a great sub to bring on. Would probably have left Walcott out too.

Dawson would have been in ahead of Upson too.

Agree with the strikers.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The inclusion of Upson is laughable, he is probably a 5th choice centre back in that squad.

We finally get a left sided player who can go past people and deliver a cross and what does Mr Capello do......leave Johnson out.

Walcott should have been included if only as an impact player.

I can only assume that leaving out Walcott and only going with 4 strikers implies that Capello is considering playing Gerrard behind Rooney at some stage.

Possibly the most boring England squad selection ever.....the Italian in him is coming out.....

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Will be interesting to see who starts on the right. If 4-4-2 got a feeling it will be Gerrard and Lennon if 4-5-1 with Gerrard supporting Rooney.

Whether right or wrong I think starting 11 will be

GK James

RB Johnson
CB Terry
CB Ferdinand
LB A.Cole

RM Gerrard
CM Lampard
CM Barry
LM J.Cole

ST Rooney
ST Heskey

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Lots of hysteria on here about SWP and Walcott et al .... but the real question we should be asking is what the f*ck is Matthew Upson doing anywhere near the squad?

Jamie Carragher has just finished the worst season of his career, Warnock is completely and utterly unproven, Ledley King's company car is an Ambulance, Rio Ferdinand's fitness is still in question, Glenn Johnson's ability is more suited to the opposition's half than our own ......... need I go on?

I hate the pair of them ..... but we're gonna rely heavily in defence on Cashley and JT not getting injured?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Quite funny how the supposed "best league in the World" can't produce a squad of 23 home grown players that gives even the faintest hint of strength in depth

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports