Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] ****Official 2022 AFCON thread****

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Comoros v Gabon (in progress)

Enema Ella on the bench I assume?

“Meanwhile, Gabon head into the tournament with a 28-man squad, including the Premier League duo of Aubameyang and Brighton and Hove Albion forward Ulrick Eneme Ella.”

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Ref in the Comoros Gabon game just went ballistic at the Gabon GK for sitting on the floor in the middle of the goal and then eventually realised he was injured. No sign yet of our boy Eneme-Ella.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Comoros v Gabon (in progress)

Enema Ella on the bench I assume?

“Meanwhile, Gabon head into the tournament with a 28-man squad, including the Premier League duo of Aubameyang and Brighton and Hove Albion forward Ulrick Eneme Ella.”
Ella came on in the 65th minute

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
African nations cup

Anyone watching this on sky?

Watching Algerians vs Sierra Leone.

Football is crap and all you can hear is ****ing vuvuzelas

:vuvu::vuvu::vuvu:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It isn’t getting any better

Even Mahrez is playing shite

And the PA system has horrible feedback. Bit like being at a rock gig!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Big game this afternoon.

Egypt v Nigeria.

On the BBC.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Funny that the SL player was well into an elaborate goal celebration to the camera, whilst the linesman had his flag up. The referee looks like the Mekon.

PortuGull

Gooooooooooooooooooooolll
Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
Some musings on the Sierra Leone team, currently playing Algeria in the Group Stage, with commiserations to commentators and listeners alike:

Starting XI

1. KAMARA (Mohamed N.)
6. KAMARA (John)
10. KAMARA (Kei Ansu)
12. KAMARA (Alhaji)

Bench

4. KAMARA (Mohammed Medo)
28. KAMARA (Musa Noah)

Also 5. CAULKER (Steven) starting and 23. CAULKER (Isaac) on the bench
and 2. KAKAY (Osman) starting with 11. KAIKAI (Sullay) on the bench

The commentary team bravely try to differentiate between the KAMARAS by including their christian names mostly, but invariably a few unidentified KAMARAS have crept in. I am looking forward to the two bench KAMARAS coming on in the 2nd half, for non-KAMARAS.

As an aside, serious question, can these still be called christian names if the person is muslim (other religions also available)?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I've watched 4 matches so far, all 1-0 (except this one which is still 0-0) and all utter shit. I watched a few South African Premier League matches during my years there but i soon stopped bothering. Awful standard.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Some musings on the Sierra Leone team, currently playing Algeria in the Group Stage, with commiserations to commentators and listeners alike:

Starting XI

1. KAMARA (Mohamed N.)
6. KAMARA (John)
10. KAMARA (Kei Ansu)
12. KAMARA (Alhaji)

Bench

28. KAMARA (Musa Noah)

The commentary team bravely try to differentiate between the KAMARAS by including their christian names mostly, but invariably a few unidentified KAMARAS have crept in. I am looking forward to the two bench KAMARAS coming on in the 2nd half, for non-KAMARAS.

As an aside, serious question, can these still be called christian names if the person is muslim (other religions also available)?

First name, innit?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Starting XI

1. KAMARA (Mohamed N.)
6. KAMARA (John)
10. KAMARA (Kei Ansu)
12. KAMARA (Alhaji)

Bench

28. KAMARA (Musa Noah)

We had five Andersson (IIRC Patrik, Daniel, Anders, Andreas and Kennet) and one Alexandersson (Niclas) starting a game once.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Of course, but also commonly known as christian names...

A Christian name, sometimes referred to as a baptismal name, is a religious personal name historically given on the occasion of a Christian baptism, though now most often assigned by parents at birth.[1] In English-speaking cultures, a person's Christian name is commonly their first name and is typically the name by which the person is primarily known.

Traditionally, a Christian name was given on the occasion of Christian baptism, with the ubiquity of infant baptism in medieval Christendom. In Elizabethan England, as suggested by William Camden, the term Christian name was not necessarily related to baptism, used merely in the sense of "given name": Christian names were imposed for the distinction of persons, surnames for the difference of families.[2]

In more modern times, the terms have been used interchangeably with given name, first name and forename in traditionally Christian countries, and are still common in day-to-day use.

Strictly speaking, the Christian name is not merely the forename distinctive of the individual member of a family, but the name given to the person (generally a child) at their christening or baptism. In pre-Reformation England, the laity was taught to administer baptism in case of necessity with the words: "I christen thee in the name of the Father" etc. To "christen" in this context is therefore to "baptise", and "Christian name" means "baptismal name".[2]

PortuGull

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
A Christian name, sometimes referred to as a baptismal name, is a religious personal name historically given on the occasion of a Christian baptism, though now most often assigned by parents at birth.[1] In English-speaking cultures, a person's Christian name is commonly their first name and is typically the name by which the person is primarily known.

Traditionally, a Christian name was given on the occasion of Christian baptism, with the ubiquity of infant baptism in medieval Christendom. In Elizabethan England, as suggested by William Camden, the term Christian name was not necessarily related to baptism, used merely in the sense of "given name": Christian names were imposed for the distinction of persons, surnames for the difference of families.[2]

In more modern times, the terms have been used interchangeably with given name, first name and forename in traditionally Christian countries, and are still common in day-to-day use.

Strictly speaking, the Christian name is not merely the forename distinctive of the individual member of a family, but the name given to the person (generally a child) at their christening or baptism. In pre-Reformation England, the laity was taught to administer baptism in case of necessity with the words: "I christen thee in the name of the Father" etc. To "christen" in this context is therefore to "baptise", and "Christian name" means "baptismal name".[2]

Wicked!

PortuGull

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
We had five Andersson (IIRC Patrik, Daniel, Anders, Andreas and Kennet) and one Alexandersson (Niclas) starting a game once.

Yes, but did they all have blond hair?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Interchangeable, several words in common use. No need for anyone to set out to make trouble over that.

Looking at the BBC pages (see link below), for example, it would be helpful if more details were given than just the surnames - perhaps they could define them by parent clubs? It's likely to be a common problem in this tournament - as well as the veritable posse of Kamaras today,,there were a couple of Camaras and Youssoufs yesterday, as well as an Abdullah and an Abdallah. I expect there will be more examples to come. A bit more help would be welcome!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59863678

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here