Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Isn't that what Zeqiri's for? (and Emmerson too).

I'm not too hung up about another striker, I'd like to see Andone given a run but, most of all, I agree with Not Andy Naylor, We need to see more return from our midfielders. Lallana, Mac Allister, Moder, Bissouma, Alzate and Gross contributed just four goals from open play last season - that's nowhere near enough.

Zak Emmerson is 16.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What about his other 256 games?

Pretty similar to Maupay's record before he came to us (although Maupay had arguably done it regularly at a slightly higher level). Maupay was £20M for 10 goals a season - so we don't need to splash out almost half of the White money to get anither striker of the same level.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
He scored 17 goals in 14 games for the French U21s. Was the golden boy and
golden boot at the U17 Euros. He’s got 7 goals in the Europa League including against AC Milan, got two assists when they beat Lazio unexpectedly. 6 goals in Champions League qualifiers and has played in the Champions League (at 19).
I’d take that for 20 million.
That’s less than Brewster cost for goodness sake.

And how did Brewster work out exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
What about his other 256 games?

I saw quite a few Celtic games last season and to be honest was not impressed. Not sure he is a 'Potter' player, and knowing the Albion as we do, I suspect that if we do bring in a forward in the next 5 weeks it may well be someone most of us have heard very little about. One things for sure with the club is that they keep things pretty close to their chest and all the players mentioned by newspapers are pure 'speculation' until something definitive is released by the club.

We will just have to wait and see.

SeagullB

Jul 4, 2021
Reading some of the responses on here I am amazed.

At the end of last season everyone in England could see we needed a striker, and almost every fan was demanding we sign one. Now here we are, linked to one of the most promising young strikers in Europe, with a great scoring record in Scotland, U21 internationals and even in the Champions League and Europa league. Not to mention he is within our price range and would likely hold resale value.

Yet, after watching one game half of our fans now think he's a total waste of money and that we should stick with the same group of strikers that they abused and were willing to drive to another club for most if last season. All seems crazy to me. Even if his performance yesterday was uninspiring, it can't be read into too much, as his head was probably full of rumours and he knew even if they qualified he'd likely not be playing in the next round.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
In my view, even if he's only a match for Maupay he at least provides competition for the place. That should, hopefully, push both of them on. Or if not, we at least have an option if Maupay gets in a rut again.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
The problem with that is there will be way more clubs interested in taking him on a free and they'll be able to offer him more than we can in wages too. If Brighton want him I have a feeling it's now or never.

I don't think £20m is crazy considering we spent £20m on a CB who was unproven at the top level in Webster

Completely this. Astonishes me people don’t understand this. The only way we head this queue is by paying a fee. If he goes on a free the wage offers he will get will blow us out the water. As for the fee, here’s a selection of comparisons of what strikers of a similar age have cost in the last few years. We’ll be making a punt, as all these clubs did. Hopefully we do better than most of these, but it shows it ain’t easy. But we can’t never buy a striker again because we messed up with Locadia!
- Haller £45M
- Fabio Silva £36M
- Watkins £30M
- Moise Kean £25
- Brewster £23M
- Wesley £22M
- Maupay £20M
- Guido Carrillo £20M
- Janssen £19M
- Solanke £19M
- McBurnie £17M

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Connolly isn’t currently good enough, Andone may or may not have his head in the right place so is a gamble, Zeqiri is totally unproven and may or may not work out - so we’re currently mostly relying on one striker with flaky confidence and one prone to injury. If not Edouard, we need cover and competition from somewhere I think.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Like him or not I would imagine 20 million is the standard rate for this standard of player.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
So how come Locadia isn't even training with us? I know there's almost no chance of any future at the club but I'd still have expected him to show up at Lancing given contractual obligations maybe? Where is he based now?

Because he is on holiday.

MLS only finished couple of weeks ago so he is a late returner to training along with the Olympics players.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Connolly isn’t currently good enough, Andone may or may not have his head in the right place so is a gamble, Zeqiri is totally unproven and may or may not work out - so we’re currently mostly relying on one striker with flaky confidence and one prone to injury. If not Edouard, we need cover and competition from somewhere I think.

Zactly.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
From BBC report on Celtic's match last night, it sounds like he'll fit right in with us :lolol:

"And, just as in the first leg when Edouard passed up a one-on-one, they were punished for their profligacy."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here