Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Odd statement from Adams

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
More oddness today...

Adams is wrestling with a selection dilemma after Albion’s poor defending against Peterborough. He will either make radical changes or give the same players another chance. “What I won’t do is make one or two changes to the side, because I think that looks a bit scapegoatish,” he said. “I’ll either make none or I’ll make sweeping changes – that is the dilemma I’ve got.”

"Scapegoatish" ?? Christ, never mind how it LOOKS Mick, just pick a team on its merits, explain your selections to the players and get on with it. There's absolutely no reason why he should force himself to choose between making no changes at all, or sweeping changes with nothing inbetween, that’s an absolute nonsense and defies any logic. The team wasn't far off looking half decent on Tuesday - a bit of tweeking is EXACTLY whats needed. How about bringing in McLeod, and putting Forster up front with Davies instead, see how they work together ? (Didn't think much of Andrew on Tuesday). Virgo had a stinker at RB, so why not put El Abd there and play Fraser in the centre with Jarrett (ok, I know its against the law to drop Virgo, but its an idea). There wasn't a whole lot wrong with the performance on Tuesday - yes we shipped some goals, but it was a flattering scoreline for them, against one of the more potent attacks in the division, and was largely because we were chasing the game after that dodgy pen. A similar display against the lesser teams (such as tomorrows) will more than likely be enough to take the points. I'd have:

Sullivan
El Abd Hinsh Elf McNulty
McLard Fraser Jarrett Seb
Forster Davies

Gives us some decent options on the bench then as well, with Virgs and Andrew in reserve if we need to throw something on to try something different if (god forbid) we're chasing again.

"Scapegoatish."

*shakes head*

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that the sweeping changes he is talking about are:

Goalkeeper: Kuipers for Sullivan
Right Back: Whing if fit if not El Abd for Virgo
Centre defence: Virgo & Hawkins for Elphick & Hinshlewood
Centre Midfield : Livermore or Fraser for El Abd
Extra Wide man for 1 of the 3 strikers.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Adams is wrestling with a selection dilemma after Albion’s poor defending against Peterborough. He will either make radical changes or give the same players another chance. “What I won’t do is make one or two changes to the side, because I think that looks a bit scapegoatish,” he said. “I’ll either make none or I’ll make sweeping changes – that is the dilemma I’ve got.”

Thats one of the strangest quotes I have seen from a Brighton manager.

It says to me that he is a bit too close/friendly with some of his team and is afraid of upsetting them.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Thats one of the strangest quotes I have seen from a Brighton manager.

It says to me that he is a bit too close/friendly with some of his team and is afraid of upsetting them.

Not to me it doesn't.

He's got to consider the issue of if he drops just one player out of the back four when frankly three were shite, then that player might well be aggrieved for having to take the hit for the collective shortcomings.

In other words, said players might (possibly rightly) grizzle 'if we were all shit, how come it's only me that is dropped?'

That's how I read his comments.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I was more concerned about his comments about possibly retaining the formation we played on Tuesday. We have got to try and be more solid and actually use our midfield this time.

sammy

Aug 23, 2005
portslade
Not to me it doesn't.

He's got to consider the issue of if he drops just one player out of the back four when frankly three were shite, then that player might well be aggrieved for having to take the hit for the collective shortcomings.

In other words, said players might (possibly rightly) grizzle 'if we were all shit, how come it's only me that is dropped?'

Quite correct there my friend at least you can see what he ment by that remark:thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not to me it doesn't.

Let them grizzle then. Adams is the boss, he's the one that cops the flak for the results, so he should be making his selection decisions on performances, not on who's nose might be put out of joint.

"Either lots of changes or no changes" makes no sense at all, and is just another example of the muddled way of thinking that has contributed to us being at the arse end of this toilet division this year.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Not to me it doesn't.

Well I think that is what I was trying to say. You wouldn't catch Ferguson worrying about dropping players. It sents out a powerful signal to the other players.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree with his view sweeping changes or no changes so as not to isolate 1 or 2 players but IMHO the biggest problem on Tuesday was that Forster was a complete waste and offered no back up to Virgo on the right side of the field when defending, which you wouldnt expect him to. Hence George Boyd capitalised on that weakness. What is worrying is that in the interview on SCR after the game MA said that Forster did well.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Let them grizzle then. Adams is the boss, he's the one that cops the flak for the results, so he should be making his selection decisions on performances, not on who's nose might be put out of joint.

"Either lots of changes or no changes" is a nonsense statement, and is just another example of the muddled way of thinking that has contributed to us being at the arse end of this toilet division this year.

Rubbish. It's about man-management.

If he is making his decisions on performances - specifically Tuesday, three of the back four would be dropped. Alternatively he might keep faith with that same back four. Dropping just one as a result of Tuesday's collective failures may well resolve little, and has the potential to do more harm than good. These, among many others, are what he has to consider.

If he does what you think he should do (i.e. let them grizzle), he could well have another Joel Lynch scenario on his hands.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Problem was we had El Abd in midfield, a centre back instead of a Championship proven David Livermore who has already chipped in this season with a goal, a couple of assists, and some crunching tackles.

We also had Carole and Forster on the wings who have no defensive qualities as midfielders so we had our wings exposed, and worse of all, a shit Adam Virgo exposed to a very good George Boyd for the second time this season

Hinshlewood or elphick need a rest, but if that means Hawkins plays centre back instead, then maybe we should keep playing them. Adams looks like he doesnt rate Virgo as a centre back, so we will just have to look at the bigger picture of him playing elsewhere on pitch.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Hinshlewood or elphick need a rest, but if that means Hawkins plays centre back instead, then maybe we should keep playing them. Adams looks like he doesnt rate Virgo as a centre back, so we will just have to look at the bigger picture of him playing elsewhere on pitch.

Could El Abd play centre back? I seem to recall he filled in there earlier this season (after an injury/sending off) and did quite well...

..did I just dream this, or did it actually happen?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Rubbish. It's about man-management.

If he is making his decisions on performances - specifically Tuesday, three of the back four would be dropped. Alternatively he might keep faith with that same back four. Dropping just one may well resolve little, and has the potential to do more harm than good. These, amng many others, are what he has to consider.

If he does what you think he should do, he could well have another Joel Lynch scenario on his hands.

Yes, it IS about man-management. But that doesn't mean PANDERING to the players for fear of upsetting them. Playing devils advocate, if Adams felt that (for example) Elphick needs a rest and he wanted to try slotting Virgo into the back four tomorrow, then thats his prerogative. Its then down to Adams to explain his reasons for it to Elphick - thats the man-management side of it, not coming out with "I'm worried about doing something scapegoatish", or nonsense about all-or-nothing changes to the team.

Adams has left his balls in Leicester.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Could El Abd play centre back? I seem to recall he filled in there earlier this season (after an injury/sending off) and did quite well...

..did I just dream this, or did it actually happen?

he did, and played well, but he will be in midfield so we dont have to worry about that. If he was dropped from midfield then maybe he should go right back if Whing is not fit, and Virgo being terrible there everytime he has played there this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here