[Football] October 2020 International Matches

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I haven't heard him say why he didn't start our most talented player but his justification for not bringing Grealish on as sub is that with the 10 men, he wanted us to go direct/long! FFS, are we ever going to learn in this country. What is the point in bringing through these technically gifted players in academies etc if we're always going to resort to the long ****in ball.

He really is inept.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Lets be honest we fluked the win against Belgium, but yes I think we deserved something out of last nights game. Think we were very naive with the Danes going to ground at every opportunity and the ref giving them everything to keep putting tackles in and expecting a different outcome.

Schmeichel made one save that I remember, if the opposition keeper only makes one save of any note in a fake you cannot in anyway be ‘unlucky’ to lose, the win against Belgium was an absolute robbery and the wales game, I said after, we were dreadful, the football we played was a joke.

Also for me it’s not unlucky re:the ref, yes he was an attention seeking **** but I’m sure club teams research referees to find out what flies and what doesn’t with certain referees, Southgate should be doing that and warning players beforehand IMO.

The tactics were at fault, even after we went down to 10 in the first half we looked threatening, we came out for the second half with all players behind the ball hoping for a goal from a set piece or counter attack, here’s the funny bit.... we got a corner and Coady, who scored the week before from a corner, stays back :lolol: It sums up Southgate, far too cautious for the players we have.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Nailed it.

The Palace fishlips pizza-whore, with his shit beard, hangs his hat on Slabhead for EVERY game because "some mug paid £80m for him so, well, fookin' hell he MUST be good". Would I swap Dunk for that clown ? Never in a month of Sundays, neither before or after Leicester fleeced Man U in that world record rip-off.

F*ck it though. Much as I'd love to see Lewis involved in England squads with the occasional appearance, if he's spending too much time with Gareth and the goons, he's probably better off out of it.

I know I'm late to the party here, but I took one look at that midfield (Rice, Phillips, Munt) and just...sighed. Home to Denmark (f*cking DENMARK) and all the attacking creativity is left in the stands. Regardless of slabheads red, if Sancho and Grealish had started, or got 45 at least, then we'd not have lost. Denmark were piss-awful, yet we were so feeble, we couldn't even make a dent aside from one proper save from Schmeical. Again. DENMARK.

I knew this would be shite as soon as I saw the midfield, and I had a grizzle about picking two of the most out-of-sorts players at the back. This was NOT hindsight, it was frigging obvious that Slab and Pickford were an accident waiting to happen. And I'm not the one being paid £3,000,000 a year to 'perceptively' pick up on these things.

Just sling yer hook Southgate, you slack-jawed cod-faced FA lickspittle.

One silver lining to England being shit is the late night Easy10 rant :thumbsup:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
People love to moan about Southgate but his win % is comparable to other England managers 58.7% ; Sven was 59.7% and surprisingly to me Capello was 66.7%.Perhaps our perception and memories remember the big tournaments . Well Southgate achieved the semifinals of the last World Cup with a squad that was surely not as strong as messer Venables and Robson had.

But yes, last night was poor. We may well not go beyond the group stage of this competition, but that will be forgotten time we play the delayed Euros in 2021

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Lets be honest we fluked the win against Belgium, but yes I think we deserved something out of last nights game. Think we were very naive with the Danes going to ground at every opportunity and the ref giving them everything to keep putting tackles in and expecting a different outcome.

Didnt see your game last night but saw most of the game against Belgium and certainly didnt think it was a fluke win. It was a good performance against a good team (though it should be said that the Belgian defense has turned from one of the best in the world to fairly mediocre in just a few years, so they arent as good as their ranking).

However, a good performance here and there is just not enough.

I can imagine a lot of people got fooled in the latest World Cup, with that technically very decent 4th finish, but the performance was never as impressive as it seemed. England played in a very weak group, proceeded to narrowly beat Colombia (on penalties IIRC) and then beat a hard working but tbh very weak Sweden.

It was arguably one of the worst England World Cup performances, despite finishing 4th. Sure, not as bad as the one in 2014, but still very poor.

There's not a lot of good English managers around but there's a few (including GP though I think he would say no), and there's some decent foreign options if the FA would go for a sensible one (i.e. not the non-English speaking, walking culture clash Capello). No point in sticking with Southgate as it wont take you anywhere.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
People love to moan about Southgate but his win % is comparable to other England managers 58.7% ; Sven was 59.7% and surprisingly to me Capello was 66.7%.Perhaps our perception and memories remember the big tournaments . Well Southgate achieved the semifinals of the last World Cup with a squad that was surely not as strong as messer Venables and Robson had.

But yes, last night was poor. We may well not go beyond the group stage of this competition, but that will be forgotten time we play the delayed Euros in 2021

Well its really the tournaments that matters. England should always qualify for international tournaments, it hasnt always been but it should be a given considering the size of the country, the player depth and quality etc. Performances outside tournaments should barely be a factor when judging the managers.

When it comes to tournaments its also pretty important to see the context:
- The overall result (obviously)
- The results of individual games.
- The strength of the team.
- The performances.
- The opposition.
- The cause of defeats. Some defeats are more random than others (i.e. penalty kicks or huge ref mistakes).

The only thing about the England World Cup 2018 performance was the overall result. Finishing 4th is always decent unless you are Brazil or Germany. Nothing else really said "this was a great World Cup". England beat Panama, Tunisia (barely) and the weakest Swedish side in decades, but lost (or drew, as against Colombia) when the level of difficulty was tuned up a bit.

Sure Southgate might have taken the team further than a lot of other England managers but I really dont think Robson, Venables, Hoddle or Sven - or even Hodgson - would have done any worse if they had the same amount of luck in the cup draw etc.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Well its really the tournaments that matters. England should always qualify for international tournaments, it hasnt always been but it should be a given considering the size of the country, the player depth and quality etc. Performances outside tournaments should barely be a factor when judging the managers.

When it comes to tournaments its also pretty important to see the context:
- The overall result (obviously)
- The results of individual games.
- The strength of the team.
- The performances.
- The opposition.
- The cause of defeats. Some defeats are more random than others (i.e. penalty kicks or huge ref mistakes).

The only thing about the England World Cup 2018 performance was the overall result. Finishing 4th is always decent unless you are Brazil or Germany. Nothing else really said "this was a great World Cup". England beat Panama, Tunisia (barely) and the weakest Swedish side in decades, but lost (or drew, as against Colombia) when the level of difficulty was tuned up a bit.

Sure Southgate might have taken the team further than a lot of other England managers but I really dont think Robson, Venables, Hoddle or Sven - or even Hodgson - would have done any worse if they had the same amount of luck in the cup draw etc.

Think people over estimate the WC performance because it was a fantastic summer and it really, for various reasons, got the country together and United. The football was actually rubbish (penalty shootout excitements notwithstanding). Too many people in the FA are stuck looking backwards, hence Southgate being in a job, but they will unfortunately waste a generation of exceptional attacking talent. Most countries would be enviable of Kane, Rashford, Sterling, Sandro, Greenwood, Foden, DCL, Grealish but we play 3 CDMS. The mind boggles

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
England’s strong point is attack:

Sancho
Sterling
Kane
Rashford
Greenwood
Grealish
Foden
Calvert-Lewin

What tactic shall we use? Ah yes the 5-4-1 formation with players out of position. Stunning.

Perfectly put. Just need a top class ball carrier/play maker in front of two ‘holders’.

Grealish is the best in the Premier League on current form.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
England’s strong point is attack:

Sancho
Sterling
Kane
Rashford
Greenwood
Grealish
Foden
Calvert-Lewin

What tactic shall we use? Ah yes the 5-4-1 formation with players out of position. Stunning.

You'd imagine it wouldnt be so fecking difficult.

Seaman

Lamptey, Webster, Dunk, March

Henderson

Rashford, Graelish, Sterling

Kane, Calvert-Lewis

Seeing how it is possible that Kane perhaps got destroyed over the last few years, you could swap him for Jamie Vardy if you want another striker or Dale Stephens if you want another holding midfielder.

Easy peasy, this team would beat the shit out of everyone.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Those win rates don't really matter. For as long as I can remember, England have walked qualifications (so high win rates) then bodged the competitions (dropping the rates down). Big nose should have brought a trophy home but he bugled that.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Those win rates don't really matter. For as long as I can remember, England have walked qualifications (so high win rates) then bodged the competitions (dropping the rates down). Big nose should have brought a trophy home but he bugled that.

Absolutely and Southgate also has the most talented group of players we've had since the 2002-2004 era that Sven mucked up and potentially this lot could be even better than that group.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

tenor.gif

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It’s actually so frustrating we are going to have a generation of attacking & expressive talent thrown away because we have a boring manager who for some reason plays 5 at the back. We have a generational pick of attacking players, but it’s all good because he wears a waistcoat and tells us how hard they try. :rolleyes: For years as an England fan I’ve wanted expressive young players who play with no fear in an England shirt, whilst Southgate is in charge we won’t ever see that.

It almost reminds me of us under Hughton, at least he had the reasoning that we didn’t have the attacking talent, England have world class attacking players, it’s got the point with England where I just want to see players play with freedom, even if we lose. Southgate make a team of exciting players bore me to turning games off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports