Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah just watched the first episode.

That rather trundled along until the hook kicked in.

Seems decent will keep at it.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Godfather of Harlem, set in 1963, features the South African flag adopted in 1994 on a Harlem boxing gym wall. How many people worked on that show and how much money was spent on it and not one person in the production team picked up on it.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Before We Die ("Innan vi Dör").... Swedish crime drama. Best I have seen in a long while.... if you enjoyed the likes of The Killing and The Bridge then I suspect you might well be gripped by this tense and twisting beauty. Super.

Was really good (esp. S1) but the bad news is they are doing an English rehash.

Set in Bristol, it Lesley Sharp leads the cast as detective Hannah Laing who becomes deeply conflicted when she discovers her son is playing a crucial role as an undercover informant in a brutal murder investigation. Gibson plays the role of her mixed-up son, Christian, while Croatian actor Toni Gojanović will take on the role of Davor Mimica the leader of the criminal gang. Regan stars as Billy Murdoch, a non-conformist investigator, who is seconded to Hannah’s unit to advise on Eastern European drug gangs.

Not holding my breath, watch the Swedish ones if you can.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For the few of us who are BIG fans:-

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ted Lasso is back :clap2:

Ep 1 is up and is decent.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I recently watched the finales of both:

The Shield - a [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] recommendation. A big commitment, I watched it in stages over a year I think, but quality.

Bosch - loved it. No spoilers ….. I hope it’s not the last we see of Harry. Titus Welliver is a great actor.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The Shield - a [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] recommendation. A big commitment, I watched it in stages over a year I think, but quality.

Bosch - loved it. No spoilers ….. I hope it’s not the last we see of Harry. Titus Welliver is a great actor.

Hmmm I don't think it was, I vaguely remember the first series, but not enough to recommend.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Mare Of Easttown with Kate Winslett and Guy Pearce appears in April.

The seven-episode series is “an exploration into the dark side of a close community and an authentic examination of how family and past tragedies can define our present.”

Should be good.

Enjoyed it. Also liked The Undoing with Kidman and Hugh Grant but it wasn't as good as Mare of Easttown.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

It was me! And many others here.

Oh, and the £30 you paid to Amazon for Terriers a while back, I matched in a charity donation. I never expected anyone to take my opinions here seriously enough to part with real-life money, especially since some series provoke an emotional reaction akin to Bagpuss or Camberwick Green - probably not as brilliant now as they were back then!

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020

I'm a huge Bosch fan as well, truly excellent series. And good news is that even though the Amazon run is over after 7 seasons, there will be a spin off. At least Titus Welliver will return as Bosch, and his daughter and "Money" Chandler are set to return as well. https://www.newsweek.com/what-we-know-about-bosch-spin-off-cast-release-date-1604787

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was me! And many others here.

Oh, and the £30 you paid to Amazon for Terriers a while back, I matched in a charity donation. I never expected anyone to take my opinions here seriously enough to part with real-life money, especially since some series provoke an emotional reaction akin to Bagpuss or Camberwick Green - probably not as brilliant now as they were back then!

Those, plus a Belle & Sebastian, Robinson Crusoe, White Horses, Mary Mungo & Midge, Mr Benn. Magical for a 70’s kid.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm a huge Bosch fan as well, truly excellent series. And good news is that even though the Amazon run is over after 7 seasons, there will be a spin off. At least Titus Welliver will return as Bosch, and his daughter and "Money" Chandler are set to return as well. https://www.newsweek.com/what-we-know-about-bosch-spin-off-cast-release-date-1604787

It makes complete sense that there’s more to come from HB. His screen daughter too I think is a fine actor.

(Making sure I don’t spoil the latest Bosch series ending).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not a fan of the phrase 'Guilty Pleasure' - I you like it there's nowt to feel guilty about.

Anyhoo my current ongoing guilty pleasure is Bearing Sea Gold.
A bunch of whackos and misfits plundering the Bearing Sea for various quantities of the yellow stuff.

It's completely replaced the crab fishermen and Gas Monkey garage in that genre of not quite scripted weapons grade loonytoons acting up.

Last night I did rather absentmindedly tune into Netflix's Rust to Riches - it was the perfect length of time I was looking for - honest!!!

It stayed on:-

untitled-8.jpg

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I found this gem 'Quarry' on Sky, it should still be available for download. Its got the brilliant Peter Mullan (ozark and westworld) in it too.

Quarry

Returning Vietnam vet gets blackmailed into being a hitman. Watched the first 5 great show so far.

I'm 4 episodes in thanks to you two - it's superb. I didn't realise it's based on a series of books so was expecting an enjoyable sugar-coated, not very challenging crime/drama romp, a bit like Bosch I suppose, but boy is it anything but. Gritty, shocking, and does the whole post-Vietnam thing very very well indeed.

Nice one, chaps.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'm 4 episodes in thanks to you two - it's superb. I didn't realise it's based on a series of books so was expecting an enjoyable sugar-coated, not very challenging crime/drama romp, a bit like Bosch I suppose, but boy is it anything but. Gritty, shocking, and does the whole post-Vietnam thing very very well indeed.

Nice one, chaps.

if you like that sort of stuff you should try and sniff out MR .INBETWEEN

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can't remember (or be bothered to trawl through the thread to check) if I've mentioned it, but Doom Patrol. Two seasons are available on Starzplay (can be accessed as a channel via prime or apple tv), and currently on offer to buy for £9.99 a season on both apple tv and google play.

It is based on DC comics, it's a group of not the best superheroes. who live together and deal with some utterly bizarre things. Features Alan Tudyk, Timothy Dalton, Brendan Fraser, Diane Guerrero, Sweary and off the wall. It is unlike any other comic book/superhero show.

https://youtu.be/FAs5fhGn6Ig

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea

Nice one, chaps.

I forgot all about this series, its an absolute cracker. Enjoy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here