'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Blacksails just started in the US, good fun plenty of boobs violence and pirates. True Detective started very well. Justified Season 5 is on at the moment and is always well worth a watch.

Vikings and The Walking Dead (Feb) and Game of Thrones April all coming up. Bad news is next season of Boardwalk Walk Empire will be the last.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Forgot about Helix. Anyone watch it?

Watched the first feature-length episode, in high-hopes. Started okay, but sadly went downhill - slow, predictable. Degenerated into standard zombie-chase, so won't be watching any more.

Smeagull

Mar 20, 2012
Watched the first feature-length episode, in high-hopes. Started okay, but sadly went downhill - slow, predictable. Degenerated into standard zombie-chase, so won't be watching any more.

Yeah, I liked the concept but it wasn't great in the end. I'll watch the next episode but if that's crap I'll give it a miss.

I've watched the first two episodes of True detectives and quite like it. Its a bit slow moving but there's something about it that keeps you hooked.

Also just started watching American Horror Story. I'd not heard of it until recently when a friend recommended it to me. I really like it and am now hooked and watching 3 or 4 episodes a night. It's not in the same league as The Walking Dead or Boardwalk Empire but still pretty good.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Also just started watching American Horror Story. I'd not heard of it until recently when a friend recommended it to me. I really like it and am now hooked and watching 3 or 4 episodes a night. It's not in the same league as The Walking Dead or Boardwalk Empire but still pretty good.

This is the 3rd series of AHS. They all had different themes and a lot of the cast have appeared in all 3. My favorite one was "Asylum" - the second series. What I like about them is that it is not purely about horror, the writing is really good with interesting plots and character development, and some very unexpected twists.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
This is the 3rd series of AHS. They all had different themes and a lot of the cast have appeared in all 3. My favorite one was "Asylum" - the second series. What I like about them is that it is not purely about horror, the writing is really good with interesting plots and character development, and some very unexpected twists.

And it can be quite disturbing can't it, in a tv series kinda way? I enjoyed it :thumbsup:

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just started watching one with loads of Texan oil millionaires living in one house, big shoulder pads and big hats. Some nasty gadgy called PR or something. Promising.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Apologies, I know that someone's mentioned it already, but I can't work out how to make the search facility pick out individual posts, but who's watching The Blacklist?

It began as a fairly formulaic and enjoyable FBI/spy yarn, with James Spader owning the show, but suddenly it's taken off in a direction I didn't see coming, and it's now fantastic. There's not the depth or epic scale to it that BB had, nor is it meant to have, but boy oh boy it's thrilling stuff.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Apologies, I know that someone's mentioned it already, but I can't work out how to make the search facility pick out individual posts, but who's watching The Blacklist?

It began as a fairly formulaic and enjoyable FBI/spy yarn, with James Spader owning the show, but suddenly it's taken off in a direction I didn't see coming, and it's now fantastic. There's not the depth or epic scale to it that BB had, nor is it meant to have, but boy oh boy it's thrilling stuff.

How strange, I'm watching episode 17 at this very moment. It's a good series but without Spader it would be just run of the mill.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Enjoying Blacklist, James Spader is definitely the main man, superb acting.Also enjoyed the first series of The Following but found the second series poor in comparison.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I watch The Blacklist, 'harmless' and 'fun' spring to mind, which probably isn't it's intended remit.

I made the mistake of watching Hostages, that's rubbish, but I want to see it through, I just hope it ends soon!!

But I'm really loving The Americans, top notch stuff.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
Black Sails is an enjoyable romp as a prequel to Treasure Island with Billy Bones, John Silver, Captain Flint etc, the latter played by Toby Stephens. It's made by Starz, so there's gratuitous violence and nudity aplenty.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
This could be interesting. The Coen brothers are producing a 10 part “Fargo” TV series as an homage to their ’96 classic. Among the performers are Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton. It’s got good reviews and starts tomorrow on FX in the States.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been meaning to bounce this thread, since finishing off True Detective, last night.

Abso-feckin-lutely-feckin brilliant.

If you haven't watched this you'll be wondering how you managed to miss the show that won EVERY award.

I thought it was fantastic, I can't fault any aspect of the show.

Obviously after that, praise for a Coenesque programme I'm going to be all over Fargo.

Still loving The Americans.
Hating Hostages.
So-so for Blacklist.
I keep waiting for Bates Motel to 'jump the shark' but every time it gets close it pulls back again.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Sorry if fixtures, there's a great new series by Mike Judge on HBO just started called 'Silicon Valley'

1st two episodes really good

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
First episode of "Fargo" was excellent, with a stand-out performance by Martin Freeman. Really bleak stuff but also with some trademark Coen brothers humour. Just what was needed after 'True Detective' came to an end.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
New series called Turn has just started and is worth a watch. Based on the spy rings of the American Revolution.

Lead actor is is Jamie Bell of Billy Eliott fame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports