Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obika Signs for Charlton

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Guess you havent ever had a look at Twitter - saw a couple of tweets from our very own fans saying he shouldnt even be alive.

Still, that wont happen now he has left. Cant see him making the slightest bit of difference to their relegation battle either.

Really? Wow.

I discussed his (lack of) first touch (lack of) effort and (lack of) balance with a couple of Spurs fans on twitter but that is harsh. Some people have no sense of perspective.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Happy with this signing. We had him for the last three months of last season, and the vast majority of Charlton fans have been hoping to get him back ever since. He had been linked a few times and we were gutted when he went to you instead. (Rumours are we would have got him on loan months ago, but his agent refused to deal with Chris Powell again - supposedly several agents have that view, one of the reasons Powell got the push.) We know Obika's not going to be prolific, but if he plays the way he did when we had him a year ago, he'll be better than any of the other strikers we currently have.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Might do OK at at the basement where not much expected.

Long way off the quality we needed when he signed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Happy with this signing. We had him for the last three months of last season, and the vast majority of Charlton fans have been hoping to get him back ever since. He had been linked a few times and we were gutted when he went to you instead. (Rumours are we would have got him on loan months ago, but his agent refused to deal with Chris Powell again - supposedly several agents have that view, one of the reasons Powell got the push.) We know Obika's not going to be prolific, but if he plays the way he did when we had him a year ago, he'll be better than any of the other strikers we currently have.

If truth be told none of us saw enough of him. At the Wigan game where he was given 15mins or so, someone I took (not a Brighton fan) picked him out as really lively and why wasn't he on before. I quite liked him, but he was never getting in once Ulloa, then Buckley were fit and gone once we got Lingard.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

Most people are writing him off after a few short substitute appearances in which he was always going to struggle to shine. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the majority of views on here of him myself.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

I suppose maybe we've been spoilt with Ulloa, I guess he might do well for you and chip in with a few goals as granted he didn't get a lot of game time here, just looked devoid of confidence and drive when he came on for us, guess it's difficult getting yourself 'up for it' when you KNOW you are second/third/fourth choice at best. Good luck to him, I have nothing against him anyway.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Ive said this once already on here , how can you possibly judge Jonathan Obika by about five or six, 5 minute performances in each match he also scored a goal too.
So really he's played less than a full hour for the first team and scored a goal not bad in my reckoning !!
Was never given the opportunity to play really was he FFS, some people ???:ffsparr:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ive said this once already on here , how can you possibly judge Jonathan Obika by about five or six, 5 minute performances in each match he also scored a goal too.
So really he's played less than a full hour for the first team and scored a goal not bad in my reckoning !!
Was never given the opportunity to play really was he FFS, some people ???:ffsparr:

If only the fans were as good at supporting as they expect the players to play.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

He started in the Port Vale game. I know they're a League 1 side, but I thought he looked ok.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I like Charlton, mainly because we have a shared hatred of Palace.......hopefully Obika will be more effective for them than he was for us.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
There shouldn't be any malice towards him at all, it's not like he missed an open goal or missed a penalty etc, he just didn't get the chance to play. For whatever reason Oscar decided that he isn't really what we require, especially with higher quality strikers coming back into the frame.

Good luck at Charlton, hope you get them out of trouble!

D

Deleted member 22389

Bet he starts scoring for fun now. That's what usually happens to us when we let these players go. We never really saw anough of him to form an opinion really.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
There shouldn't be any malice towards him at all, it's not like he missed an open goal or missed a penalty etc, he just didn't get the chance to play. For whatever reason Oscar decided that he isn't really what we require, especially with higher quality strikers coming back into the frame.

Good luck at Charlton, hope you get them out of trouble!

I agree, but I don't think Oscar decided he wasn't right for us and it is probably more to do with letting him go so he can get some first team action with a club that have been chasing him.

Not sure if CMS or Hoskins are going to be any closer to playing than Obika was.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree, but I don't think Oscar decided he wasn't right for us and it is probably more to do with letting him go so he can get some first team action with a club that have been chasing him.

Not sure if CMS or Hoskins are going to be any closer to playing than Obika was.

We didn't let him go, Spurs have recalled him to send him to Charlton.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Bet he starts scoring for fun now. That's what usually happens to us when we let these players go. We never really saw anough of him to form an opinion really.

Almost certain to just like Sam Vokes has been i remember all the Vokes haters on here too saying exactly the same thing about him,
admittedly i wasn't that impressed by him myself at the time but then he started a lot of games and just didn't fit in or rather Poyet didn't allow him to fit in !!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Why would agents refuse to deal with Powell?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Almost certain to just like Sam Vokes has been i remember all the Vokes haters on here too saying exactly the same thing about him,
admittedly i wasn't that impressed by him myself at the time but then he started a lot of games and just didn't fit in or rather Poyet didn't allow him to fit in !!

Add Chris Wood to that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here