Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Welcome to Newhaven Upon Ouse!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was raised in Newhaven. It provided me with a fine childhood and education and still seems a decent down to me.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Don't exaggerate. Nobody is pretending it is very good, but it isn't as bad as you paint it either. A lot of high streets are bad now, as people can travel so easily. I can go on the bus to Eastbourne or Brighton within 35-40 minutes, shop in Lewes or Seaford, but the view outside my house is glorious. I can see for miles, yet I am just a few minutes from the sea.
The house prices are affordable compared to neighbouring towns, and when the trains run, very accessible to the rest of the country.
I also like it that people smile and say good morning when they pass you.

Yes,officer.

Seriously I have been up on the top of the hill recently walking along the The Highway. It was like a country lane, I was passed by two ladies on horseback. Veryrral.

But the area surrounded by the one-way system is a mess.

el punal

http://news.sky.com/video/gravesend-resorts-to-a-new-posh-name-10629295

Given Gravesend is considered the armpit of Kent, plans are afoot to rename it Gravesend Upon Thames.
As Newhaven is commonly known as ................
Well, anyway, could it have the similar name makeover?

And referring to renaming towns, how on earth do you rename Staines without it sounding even worse than it is? So it is now Staines upon Thames! For goodness sakes it makes out that there is pollution on the river. Why not go the whole hog and have Under Staines, or Staines Bottom, and so on?

Perhaps a more saintly approach, and call the town St.Aines. Much more gentile and with a twist of French for good measure.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
And referring to renaming towns, how on earth do you rename Staines without it sounding even worse than it is? So it is now Staines upon Thames! For goodness sakes it makes out that there is pollution on the river. Why not go the whole hog and have Under Staines, or Staines Bottom, and so on?

Perhaps a more saintly approach, and call the town St.Aines. Much more gentile and with a twist of French for good measure.

Is it like it's South London equivalent, St.Reatham ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
How about 'Newhaven - Heart of the South Downs Riviera'?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I use that ferry at least three times a year and there is nothing clapped out about it and there is more than one a day.

Well that's fair enough, I'll withdraw that comment. I am no doubt thinking of the old Seastink ones, the French tubs which were both clapped out and unreliable, but that is going back a good few years now.

I used to actually really enjoy that route, Dieppe is so much more interesting for a weekend away than Calais ever will be.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's 'Newhaven - gateway to Europe'. Even the sign says so.

The High Street is a sorry state now, i am very fond of the town and think it could do so much better.

Luna Rossa the italian is fantastic by the way, it's a real favourite of mine now.

Luna Rossa is very good, have you been to the small Italian restaurant in Bridge Street? It's also very good , fully booked yesterday evening when we tried to get in.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Well that's fair enough, I'll withdraw that comment. I am no doubt thinking of the old Seastink ones, the French tubs which were both clapped out and unreliable, but that is going back a good few years now.

I used to actually really enjoy that route, Dieppe is so much more interesting for a weekend away than Calais ever will be.
The ferries were called the Senlac, Villandry & Vallancay, if I remember rightly :)

http://www.doverferryphotosforums.co.uk/m-v-senlac-past-and-present/#

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
In a possible first I agree with this, with the exception that Luna Rossa is merely quite good ( I haven't been for a while though). It has it's own certain scruffy charm and the advantage of not being either a dull dormitory town or another of gods waiting rooms.

of course its merely quite good its an italian restaurant in newhaven harbour. what do you expect ,a michelin star???

plenty of nonsense places in brighton or lewes that might make the cut, the whole point of me highlighting a decent restauarant in newhaven is how lovely the town is against the odds and should be supported. it's average against what??? 90% of the hipster bollocks in brighton?

what standard are you judging italian restaurants in sussex ports by? Capri, Sorrento?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Think there was one called Chartresse or similar as well.

image.jpg
This one.

Also one called Falaise.

The modern apartment blocks near Newhaven Marina are named after the ferries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here