Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Virgin Media Tivo

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Anyone got one of these boxes? Are they any good/worth the money?

Ta

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I haven't, but my brother has. He loves it, although there are a few bugs to contend with. One bug is that within the EPG you cant click on the info button to delve deeper into what the prog is about. Its also a bit slower in some ways (he hasn't told me what) than the v+ box.

But he loves the fact that he can record remotely. By using his mob phone he can go to the virgin media site, click on TV page and from their select a programme for his TIVO to records.

He also loves the favourites bit of the machine. By typing in say Charlize Theron, the machine will record all programmes that Charlize Theron appears in. There are a lot more uses than that, but thats all he has told me about.

I'm considering getting one.

Billy Whizzkid

Aug 24, 2011
We had a V+ box and a standard box and when Tivo came out we decided to replace the standard box. To be honest I think it is disappointing. V+ works very quickly and the screens are better laid out. Tivo is slow to respond to key presses which can result in jumping around screens unnecessarily.

The remote is a bit too crowded for my liking and not as solid as the V+ remote. The only advantage of Tivo is the ability to record remotely but the iPhone app that allows you to do this really needs a lot more work as it is hard to navigate on that too.

Obviously you have far more space to record on Tivo (500 hours) so if 80 hours on the V+ is not enough (why on earth wouldn't it be?!) then personally I would stick with V+ and wait until all the problems above are sorted out.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
hmmm. Thanks. V+ sounds lke the one for me then.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Sky Plus does the job for me, as there's never more than two things on that I want to watch at any time. Do you have to pay for the Tivo box, as I think the Sky Plus box is free with your subscription...

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Sky is so far ahead of Virgin Media. Can't believe the Tivo box is SLOWER than the V+ box (which is already painfully slow compared to Sky)

As Gazwag says the Sky remote record has been in place for ages and works really well, and easily

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sky is so far ahead of Virgin Media. Can't believe the Tivo box is SLOWER than the V+ box (which is already painfully slow compared to Sky)

As Gazwag says the Sky remote record has been in place for ages and works really well, and easily

Have to disagree. I've had Sky for years and recently switched to Virgin and a Tivo. My Sky HD box was an absolute dog while my Tivo shoots along. Having a direct link to Iplayer and play back facilities is a godsend. No more watching on my laptop or by connecting my laptop to my TV.

Oscar - go for the Tivo - you won't regret it.

Big bonus with Virgin ( Tivo or V+ ) is that all repairs are included in your package unlike Sky where you have to call their bluff to get a free repair.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Have to disagree. I've had Sky for years and recently switched to Virgin and a Tivo. My Sky HD box was an absolute dog while my Tivo shoots along. Having a direct link to Iplayer and play back facilities is a godsend. No more watching on my laptop or by connecting my laptop to my TV.

Oscar - go for the Tivo - you won't regret it.

Big bonus with Virgin ( Tivo or V+ ) is that all repairs are included in your package unlike Sky where you have to call their bluff to get a free repair.

That's strange as every Virgin box I've used (half a dozen or so) is slow and clunky. Every Sky box has zipped along really smoothly.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Be careful as the sales staff at Virgin will try to sell you the box with a higher capacity, there are two available (according to the Virgin engineer who installed my package this morning). For the additional cost it is not worth it as the lower capacity Tivo box is more than sufficient for any household unless you really want to store 10+ days of programmes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Mixed reviews still on Tivo then, just read CNET and TECHRADAR reviews, and it's not unlike above. I've got a V+ box and it's served us well, but I often fill it up, and love the fact Tivo would start recording series that it knows I would like but I might know are on.

Any updates from anyone using it that the bugs are being ironed out? The £50 installation and £3 pm seem worth it at this point...

pigin stripes

Jul 18, 2003
Hove
I have both the TiVo and V+ boxes. To be honest I only took the TiVo as I managed a free upgrade after a lot of bull about how Sky had cold called etc etc. the big sell for me at first was being able to put my V+ in the bedroom for £3 extra a month. It has taken a while for the kids and I to get the best from the TiVo but we now love it especially since the firmware upgrade last week that has gotten rid of some of the glitches. With the promise of full web access just around the corner with the new sliding peanut controller I think the TiVo is miles ahead of anything else out there. Its easily upgraded and if you look at some of the international TiVo sites you can see some of the future upgrades we will get.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sure there are a few navigation niggles with the Tivo but that is all they are and as pigin stripes said last week's update has improved things further. I have the high capacity Tivo and a simple thumbs up for a prog is enough for it to record a whole bunch of stuff that you might just want to watch. I don't make a massive use of this, but on the odd occasion when stuck for something to watch it has been a big plus. I also love the HD surround sound broadcast, which are superb if you have amp and speakers.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Since the recent software upgrade I'd have to downgrade my opinion. The box is now slower and I-Player barely works !

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Call their bluff> I got upgraded to a tivo for free without the installation or monthly charge! Bosh

Good call. On the phone now, with my package, the best I could get was the 1TB Tivo, for a single 1 off £50 charge, no monthly charges and I get to keep my V+ box in another room for only £1 per month. Happy with that!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My 1TB Tivo box is now installed (at no extra monthly charge), and got to say, first impressions are that it is a great bit of kit. Every menu is very quick, easy to navigate etc. Set up lots of 'wishlist' searches, and started rating things so that the box learns what I like. Really impressed so far. Only got the 1TB as they could do that for me for free over my existing monthly bill, with just a one off £49 to install it. They could do the 500GB for free install, but £3 per month on the bill. Seemed like a no-brainer to go for the 1TB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here