Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T: Valuing a Small Business

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Blimey! The figure I have in mind is much less than that. I am thinking 1 years' profit + assets + stock.

Chances are that this 4x estimate that I've heard is a load of bollocks and only really applies to certain types/size of business.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For a trading business, the value is that of the net assets being sold, plus goodwill. Goodwill is calculated at 3 x weighted average post-tax profits for the last three years. Deduct a reasonable notional salary to the owner/director, from the profits, before deducting the tax. Also, reverse the effect of any exceptional costs / gains within those three years.

For a professional business - one year's fees.

For an asset based business eg property investment - the actual open market value of the underlying assets.

The above are guides, but in reality the price is what a buyer is prepared to pay.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Thanks all for your comments. I have sought advice from 4 different sources and as suspected, they have come up with rather different methods. They are:

1. A rough rule of thumb for a book shop is 18 times your average monthly Net Profit.This profit includes all benefits to owner. Salary, fuel, insurance etc.
This value includes all fixtures, fittings and assets required to generate this profit, excluding stock.

2. Total income less direct sales costs = net income then multiply this figure by 3.5. so annual income 500k less direct running costs 200k = 300k X 3.5 = 1050000 then add stock cost giving you a total approximate value.

3. If you invested a R1 000 000 (hypothetical purchase price) one would reasonably expect a 10% per annum return on a business venture so this would then equate to a net profit of 8333 per month but this would be after staff salaries and all other costs. The 2 figures (method 2 and 3) should come out pretty close and then you know that you are on the right track.

The advice above came from a local business broker, a local real estate agent who sells businesses and 2 investors. As you can imagine, the difference between methods 1 and 2/3 is quite substantial (methods 2 and 3 come out at twice the value than method 1), so I am going to work out the figure from all 3 and then average them.

Would that sound about right? Comments very welcome!

Thanks awfully.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Shirley that depends on how much you get for the business :wink:

Not really. The Rand is dropping like a stone and I am not going to get a vast amount for the business. Going to rent for a while anyway when I come back and try and get back on the property ladder once job found and secured etc etc.

If I do get a season ticket, shall I bring over a :vuvu: ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here