O/T - SWtOR controversy?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
I stumbled across this will looking at a gaming blog site I read.

Hit Star Wars game lets players 'own' and torment female slaves with electric shock collar

This has of course been taken ridiculously out of context by the daily fail. Nonetheless, as a gamer who is actually enjoying this game, I'm genuinely curious as to what my fellow NSCers feel about this?

Artistic interpretation of one of the most successful sci-fi universes ever created, or blatant advocation of sexism? Anything in-between?

I'm of the opinion that there is nothing wrong with this. It is not preaching that slavery and sexism is right, nor OK. It's fiction and people who are unable to distinguish fiction from reality should, quite frankly, not be wandering out of their worlds wrapped in cotton wool.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I think the comment below the article, 'Tomorrow's headline: Scandal as Wicked Witch of the West enslaves flying monkeys.' Pretty much sums the paper/article up nicely.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Artistic interpretation of one of the most successful sci-fi universes ever created, or blatant advocation of sexism? Anything in-between?

I'm of the opinion that there is nothing wrong with this. It is not preaching that slavery and sexism is right, nor OK. It's fiction and people who are unable to distinguish fiction from reality should, quite frankly, not be wandering out of their worlds wrapped in cotton wool.

I think you got it pretty much sewn up there.

It's a fictional alien character FFS, how do they know if it even has a gender. You are playing the role of an evil alien, you're not going to tickle it are you :facepalm:

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Not everyone wants to be Han Solo or Darth Vader, people love being pimp Jabba too (he's usually a closer representation of a lot of mmorpg players anyway)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How can people continue to defend the Daily Mail? It's written for 6-year-olds, by 6-year-olds.

Regardless of your political leanings, it's just really SHIT journalism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports