O/T Scooter/mopeds

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Hadlothian

@san_miguel73
Jul 24, 2007
Borough of Crows
Due to the current petrol/car running costs... I am seriously thinking of trading in my 4 wheels for 2 & getting a scooter (50cc)... trouble is I won't have a lot to spend, so not going for a Vespa, equally don't want a chavvy looking one..
Does anyone on here ride a scooter, if so any recomendations ?

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
I gotta GP200 lambretta,summers coming,cant wait,if your into a bit more modern ideas, you can get rev and go vespas + Lambrettas that look pretty good,Oasis,Jamie Oliver to name a couple have/got 1.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Zefs got a LI125....
706EBP.jpg

and a Lui 50 and a TV175s2...

If you're happy to maintain a classic - its tax free motoring with a bit of work every other weekend.

If you're not mechanical at all go for a new rev and go, cheap as chips...

Buy some good waterproofs either way - go to Alfs and get the best you can afford. You soon go off scootering when cold and wet!

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
I had a Vespa 300 GTS but had to sell it last year. Loved it but they are a bit pricey. Mustbe some good second hand deals out there. Also was a fantastic way to ensure parking right outside the ground!!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Due to the current petrol/car running costs... I am seriously thinking of trading in my 4 wheels for 2 & getting a scooter (50cc)... trouble is I won't have a lot to spend, so not going for a Vespa, equally don't want a chavvy looking one..
Does anyone on here ride a scooter, if so any recomendations ?

I actually work in the bike trade, so I may have less biased view than Uncle C. If you want a genuine retro Lambretta/Vespa.....don't! You will need a fair bit of knowledge or money to maintain it. If possible do not buy a 50cc as it will put you at the mercy of all other car drivers, get a 100cc or 125cc. If you want reliability then choose a Japanese, not Chinese or Indian, brand as new as is possible, maybe Kymco would be another option to the Japs. If style is important choose Italian, Piaggio/Vespa. Above all if buying used you should remember that some spotty yoof has probably ragged the arse out of it, price is usually a great gauge of a bikes value.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont ride a bike myself but know a couple of bikers. if you want reliable and not fussed about anything else, they'll say get a Honda.

and, if you do any sort of distance/non-urban travel, get more than 50cc. 125 will allow you to keep up on the main roads.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'm motorcycle mad, but I don't take much interest in scooters (although they've certainly got a lot of pluses). Anyway I've done a quick bit of browsing & reckon you should go for a jap 125 4-stroke: spending whatever your budget will allow. The Honda PS125 looks decent (Google for loads of good owner reviews), & have a butchers' at What Scooter Online for heaps of info:-

http://www.whatscooter.com/browse3.asp

ps Avoid anything formerly owned by a spotty male yoof &/or covered in Valentino Rossi stickers! :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do yourself an even bigger favour, and buy a bicycle.

How many journeys do you make over 5 miles?.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
ps Avoid anything formerly owned by a spotty male yoof &/or covered in Valentino Rossi stickers! :thumbsup:
Name something that advise doesn't apply to. :lol:

Vespa owner here! I bought an LX 150 in 2006 and love it. It is my sole method of transport day to day - only use the car for trips to the supermarket.

As a 150cc it will sit happily at 60mph and has enough guts to get you into a gap in traffic or whatever. I would advise against getting a 50cc, they are gutless and dangerous as you wont have the extra power to get you out of trouble.

In Melbourne it is legal to park on the footpath, so I love popping into the city and not having to worry about where i am going to park my car.

A tank takes 6.5 litres of petrol and i will get about 100 miles out of it.

2 real downsides; 1) The rain, but you only get wet once and if you invest in some wet weather gear, you'll be fine and 2) other road users who are totally oblivious to you being on the road - ride like they havent seen you!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
home-scooter-125-tommy.jpg

Here you go Twinkle, this could change your mind. :lolol:

Old Hadlothian

@san_miguel73
Jul 24, 2007
Borough of Crows
Twinkle ? I like that ; )
Will be using it to commute from Hadlow to Sevenoaks, 20 mile round trip....
Was looking at a Lexmoto Tommy 2 but believe all the Chineese stuff is made by various factories & branded at the port depending on who has ordered that style....
The pinkie from above is from Bikes Direct.... read a lot of very bad reviews about them, they even featured on Watchdog a couple of years back !!

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Vespa owner here! I bought an LX 150 in 2006 and love it. It is my sole method of transport day to day - only use the car for trips to the supermarket.

As a 150cc it will sit happily at 60mph and has enough guts to get you into a gap in traffic or whatever. I would advise against getting a 50cc, they are gutless and dangerous as you wont have the extra power to get you out of trouble.

In Melbourne it is legal to park on the footpath, so I love popping into the city and not having to worry about where i am going to park my car.

A tank takes 6.5 litres of petrol and i will get about 100 miles out of it.

2 real downsides; 1) The rain, but you only get wet once and if you invest in some wet weather gear, you'll be fine and 2) other road users who are totally oblivious to you being on the road - ride like they havent seen you!

You only get wet once!
:wanker:

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I drive an Aprillia SportsCity Cube 300. It's my third scooter. I picked this one as it had excellent reviews, the owners of the bike shop where I bought it both drove one and I've been pretty pleased with it.

I'd echo the comments above about not getting a 50CC. You have no power to get yourself out of trouble, your slow and other drivers see you as an annoyance. Get at least a 125cc. I drive 45miles a day, that's why I went for the bigger engine.

I've got decent wet weather gear and drive my bike all year around. You don't really notice getting wet with good gear.

My first bike which I bought in Sydney, I always said was the best purchase I ever made. Scootering is fantastic. It's easy to get around and easy and free to park. Much more enjoyable in the summer. It's cheap and it's fantastic!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports