Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Mountain Bike buying advice

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
A flashy new bike will not cycle up hills, You Do. It is not the bike but the person riding it that counts.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've just purchased a Boardman MTB Pro 2011-13 Bike, I think it retailed at around £1,100, but is last years. All the reviews talk about great spec, great kit etc and then finish by saying "nut it's a Halfords bike". They only have a few left I ended up paying £550 with a £50 voucher chucked in which is an absolute bargain IMHO.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A flashy new bike will not cycle up hills, You Do. It is not the bike but the person riding it that counts.

This, every day of the week, my new bike is not only slow on hills, but not too good on the level, this has nothing to do with the bike spec but that fat git riding it. Someone also told me the bike I was considering was 2 kilos heavier than a comparable bike. I then mentioned that I myself am 2 stone over weight and therefore didn't see this as much of a problem!

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
This, every day of the week, my new bike is not only slow on hills, but not too good on the level, this has nothing to do with the bike spec but that fat git riding it. Someone also told me the bike I was considering was 2 kilos heavier than a comparable bike. I then mentioned that I myself am 2 stone over weight and therefore didn't see this as much of a problem!
Hahaha my point exactly hahaha

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I've just purchased a Boardman MTB Pro 2011-13 Bike, I think it retailed at around £1,100, but is last years. All the reviews talk about great spec, great kit etc and then finish by saying "nut it's a Halfords bike". They only have a few left I ended up paying £550 with a £50 voucher chucked in which is an absolute bargain IMHO.

I have the Boardman Mountain Bike Comp HT 650B 2012/13 and I love it. If the OP can get this Pro for £550, it's a no brainer.

BTW, I am 5'7" and got the small fram and lifted the seat high, must have saved a few grams in weight there! :)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I have the Boardman Mountain Bike Comp HT 650B 2012/13 and I love it. If the OP can get this Pro for £550, it's a no brainer.

BTW, I am 5'7" and got the small fram and lifted the seat high, must have saved a few grams in weight there! :)

It's got to be worth ringing them it's a absolute bargain when you look at the spec etc. Yeah I'm 5' 6" and went for the medium, my problem is I also weigh nearly 14 stone, so not ready for the Olympics just yet but at 52 haven't given up all hope!

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes.html?dir=asc&limit=48&order=price&sale=1758&suspension_type=1796&wheel_size=1917

Some good deals on here. They're all a pretty similar spec so I seriously doubt you'll notice much difference if you're just doing XC over the downs. Personally I'd go for a Scott, Cube, Specialized or Cannondale over the halfords bike any day, just for the fact they'll hold their value much better if you ever want to sell it. They all look much sexier as well.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes.html?dir=asc&limit=48&order=price&sale=1758&suspension_type=1796&wheel_size=1917

Some good deals on here. They're all a pretty similar spec so I seriously doubt you'll notice much difference if you're just doing XC over the downs. Personally I'd go for a Scott, Cube, Specialized or Cannondale over the halfords bike any day, just for the fact they'll hold their value much better if you ever want to sell it. They all look much sexier as well.

I disagree with the Boardman but agree on the Carrera's. The Boardmans look good and are a good spec for the price.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I disagree with the Boardman but agree on the Carrera's. The Boardmans look good and are a good spec for the price.

I was mostly talking about the Carrera and voodoo that the OP is getting. By all accounts the boardman bikes are decent. Still though, if it was a choice between two identical bikes and one had a Boardman badge and the other had a Scott badge, I'd still take the Scott every single time. (although boardman are almost always going to be better value for the spec)

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
If you take out a Pru Health or Pru Protect health/life cover policy then with their Vitality programme you get 50% off bikes at Evans Cycles (max discount of £500 per person i think). If you have existing cover with a different provider it would be worth checking how it compares in terms of premiums and then switching - Pru give out a lot of discounts on loads of things including the bikes deal.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I was mostly talking about the Carrera and voodoo that the OP is getting. By all accounts the boardman bikes are decent. Still though, if it was a choice between two identical bikes and one had a Boardman badge and the other had a Scott badge, I'd still take the Scott every single time. (although boardman are almost always going to be better value for the spec)

To be honest I really do feel the main argument against a Boardman is borne out of snobbery, take the brand names away and compare £ for £ against specs and you have a clear winner.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

However, the £1,100 Boardman MTB Pro, as a 2011-13 bike with a great spec, sold to me for £550, plus £50 voucher, I think I'd get pretty much my money back selling in the next few months? I'm not comparing full retail RRP against bikes merely saying the Boardman at the moment seems a bargain?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
To be honest I really do feel the main argument against a Boardman is borne out of snobbery, take the brand names away and compare £ for £ against specs and you have a clear winner.

However, the £1,100 Boardman MTB Pro, as a 2011-13 bike with a great spec, sold to me for £550, plus £50 voucher, I think I'd get pretty much my money back selling in the next few months? I'm not comparing full retail RRP against bikes merely saying the Boardman at the moment seems a bargain?

Agreed on both counts, you've had a proper result there.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

My road bike is a Scott! :thumbsup:

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
The OP can't go too far wrong these days there are a lot of decent bikes out there for not too much money. Specialized, Voodoo, Scott and Trek are all good makes.

For £500 I'd go down the second hand route, There are a lot of bikes on ebay that people have hardly used for less than half the original price.
Here is one on ebay, The seller is in Worthing.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOARDMAN-...rg=20140221143405&rk=6&rkt=24&sd=271574909990

I have had my Boardman Team R for 15 months and love it, So another thumbs up for Boardman bikes from me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here